Where'd You Get Your AO Nickname?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Simple question: what's the origin of your nickname on this forum?

Mine? I tend to choose nicknames based on whatever novel I'm reading at the time, so mine comes from Wilkie Collins's Armadale.

What about you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I got mine from the wonderful David Lynch movie Mulholland Drive.

The name itself is the name of a company in the movie, a pool-cleaning company, owned by this guy Gene, who somehow (it's never explained in the movie) ends up sleeping with the wife of one of the main characters, the director Adam Kesher.

A scene from the movie: notice the truck:

• Reply 2 of 78
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I more or less rig up gonzo media systems on the fly, for a living.

My solution to most problems is to stick another processor/scaler/amp/switcher/ground lifter/gate/patchbay/attenuator/power supply in the signal chain.

That is to say: add a box!
  • Reply 3 of 78
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    It's a college nickname. In fact, I'm sure there were a number of people I knew in college that had no clue what my actual name was.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Employee #1618978 at a large telecom company - it was easy to remember, and guarenteed unique across a lot of sites.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    roffroff Posts: 58member
    Retired

Old

Fat

Fart
  • Reply 6 of 78
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    my first name followed by the initial letter of my last name...

• Reply 7 of 78
    I was billybobsky... (which is pronounced billy bob ski)

derived from billy bob + sky, a combination of my russian and southern US heritage as well as bob, the diminutive form of my middle name robert.

I used to go by brucebob...

hardeeharhar... well that one is self explanatory... I was still pissed at kasper and his banning of my account here and his unequivocal refusal to reinstate my account despite pleading by the other admins here, it was a laugh a retribution...
  • Reply 8 of 78
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Those are some pretty funny ones. I remember billybobsky!

I've had this nickname for as long as I've been using the internet, and I always use it for "anonymous" message boards and things like that. I was in college, around 1990, so this was before the WWW. I chose BRussell because I was taking modern philosophy at the time. I'm too old for philosophy now - it just gives me headaches. But BRussell stuck.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    IIRC groverat says he made it up. To be honest I don't recall the origin. I'm a big fan of incongrous juxtapostion though so I like the matching of a plain ole kitchen utensil with something dramatic like death. Although I'm also quite fond of another name, SpicyChickenManifesto. Of course in the days of wayback I used to have several different names on this board including EriMac and Woz's Apprentice. Nowadays I tend to go with a simple Eric whenever possible.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    i used my name but for aim i got mine from the johnny cash song the matidor
  • Reply 11 of 78
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
  • Reply 12 of 78
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Em, lack of imagination.

This is my name (he says - frantically searching for an edit profile option).
  • Reply 13 of 78
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Neal Stephenson's book Snowcrash.

Hiro Protagonist, how can you not love that for the name of the lead character?
  • Reply 14 of 78
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Justin

Em, lack of imagination.

This is my name (he says - frantically searching for an edit profile option).

It's too bad there wasn't another Justin before you. Then you could've been "This Justin."
  • Reply 15 of 78
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Trick Fall has been my rock and roll name for a long time and when I first got the internet it seemed like a logical choice. It is actually a shortening of my full name, Patrick Fallon and most people who know me offline would know that I am Trick.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

I was billybobsky... (which is pronounced billy bob ski)

derived from billy bob + sky, a combination of my russian and southern US heritage as well as bob, the diminutive form of my middle name robert.

I used to go by brucebob...

hardeeharhar... well that one is self explanatory... I was still pissed at kasper and his banning of my account here and his unequivocal refusal to reinstate my account despite pleading by the other admins here, it was a laugh a retribution...

Oh, hey, I didn't know your were Billybobsky! Cool!
  • Reply 17 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

Trick Fall has been my rock and roll name for a long time and when I first got the internet it seemed like a logical choice. It is actually a shortening of my full name, Patrick Fallon and most people who know me offline would know that I am Trick.

Getting "Trick Fall" out of "Patrick Fallon" is excellent. How old were you when you realized you could do that?
  • Reply 18 of 78
    Since I'm female, I had to have something cute and girly that would stand out amongst this male majority here. Therefore, I put "Mac," since I'm a Mac geek, and "Doll," which is the "cute and girly" component. I'm 21, so I can also get away with "cute and girly."
  • Reply 19 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

It's too bad there wasn't another Justin before you. Then you could've been "This Justin."

I just now got that.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

I just now got that.

What was it BRussell said about me? I'm so self-effacing that I don't care if anyone gets my jokes?