Coolest keyboard EVAR!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
And i hope it's not vaporware.

Optimus

This is one of those ideas I wish Apple would have made standard but it's good to see 3rd party innovation out there. I would love to see customizable drivers for this and the ability to see what characters you have by holding down option, control, shift, whatever and have it displayed on your keyboard. And then having to have a keyboard screen saver.

Some other things I would like to see are on boot up show you your options on boot (C key says "CD boot", T key would display "Target Disk", option key would display "Other boot devices...", etc.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    And then having to have a keyboard screen saver.

Matrix
  • Reply 2 of 13
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    What, again?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

And i hope it's not vaporware.

Optimus

This is one of those ideas I wish Apple would have made standard but it's good to see 3rd party innovation out there. I would love to see customizable drivers for this and the ability to see what characters you have by holding down option, control, shift, whatever and have it displayed on your keyboard. And then having to have a keyboard screen saver.

Some other things I would like to see are on boot up show you your options on boot (C key says "CD boot", T key would display "Target Disk", option key would display "Other boot devices...", etc.)

I really like the idea of integrating Key Maps with the keyboard. However, the application-launcher keys are kind of silly.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

I really like the idea of integrating Key Maps with the keyboard. However, the application-launcher keys are kind of silly.

Agreed. How many timed do you launch Safari? Once a week? And it's already in the dock... I can find much better uses for them. Even Expose/Dashboard would be a better use for them.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Old News. This thing was posted in here over a year ago, and I still think it's vapor. It's hard to say.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    it was announced at CES or something, so perhaps it is a bit closer than true vaporware.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    As an owner of Microsoft keyboards with applications keys on them, I can tell you that they're much more useful than you think. You can use them to do more than just launch an application. You can use them to select a running application without having to go to the dock. Pressing one permanently assigned key is faster than looking for it in the dock.

As for the keyboard, it's a solution looking for a problem, and an expensive solution at that. It's vaporware and it should stay vaporware. There are plenty of better ideas for keyboards out there that haven't gained traction. I like the Comfort Ergonomic Keyboards and some of the Kinesis models, too.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I agree with Kolchak. The MS keyboards are really helpful (also ergonomic which helps people with big hands).

If this keyboard is real, I will buy it just to support the R and D. Genoristy just flows thru my veins.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Although it was announced a long time ago, the keyboard was not available to buy until the first quarter of 2006.

Any time now...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Old News. This thing was posted in here over a year ago, and I still think it's vapor. It's hard to say.

The renders were published and announced in July '05. Supposedly there is a prototype, but no manufacturer yet, so don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i was reading up that the power consumtion was too great for USB... so, either there will be a need for external power (insane), or they will have to wait a few more years and use ePaper technology with a few thousand colors palette. Or, they've come up with something ingenious.. Oh, and the rumored price was just silly insane: around 5-600$

Anyway, they announced that they will make a statement on Feb 1st with more details. I'm the market if it provs to be a top notch product and is anywhere below 300usd... The amount of games I play would justify this
  • Reply 12 of 13
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

i was reading up that the power consumtion was too great for USB... so, either there will be a need for external power (insane), or they will have to wait a few more years and use ePaper technology with a few thousand colors palette. Or, they've come up with something ingenious.. Oh, and the rumored price was just silly insane: around 5-600$

Anyway, they announced that they will make a statement on Feb 1st with more details. I'm the market if it provs to be a top notch product and is anywhere below 300usd... The amount of games I play would justify this

They also said they wont be using ePaper it will be OLED. It's still a total vapor idea anyway. Manufacturing cost's and replacement parts via warranty alone would probably bankrupt them even if they were $600.00+ a pop.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

i was reading up that the power consumtion was too great for USB... so, either there will be a need for external power (insane), or they will have to wait a few more years and use ePaper technology with a few thousand colors palette.

Maybe they can make it wireless and use a battery pack the size of a Powerbook's. (Excuse me, MacBook.)

Quote:

[/i]

I'm the market if it provs to be a top notch product and is anywhere below 300usd... The amount of games I play would justify this

No, it wouldn't. In the heat of gaming, the last thing you should be doing is looking at the keyboard to see which key to press. You've got to know instantly which key you need without taking your eyes off the screen. If you're really that much of a gamer, you should have a Belkin Nostromo Speedpad n52. I don't game, but I bought one anyway and it's amazing for other applications as well. I like being able to have every important control for VLC (jump 10 seconds, jump 1 minute, jump 5 minutes, audio sync up/down, etc.) at my fingertips and arranged the way I like it, not the way somebody else designed it. The only thing I don't like is that Belkin's drivers seem rather unstable. I've had four kernal panics since installing their drivers, more than I've had in the three years previous. Hopefully, they'll fix this in a Universal Binaries driver. Heck, I'll be happy if they write a UB driver. I don't want to give up the Speedpad and Rosetta isn't a permanent solution. Or hopefully Montalcini does rewrite USB Overdrive to support different assignments for each USB device.