Boot up on production Intel iMac / MacBook models?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, SOMEONE needs to reboot one of these new machines on the MacWorld floor to see what the production startup / boot / post sequence looks like...

Is there a BIOS readout? Instant on? (doubt it)? New startup chime? Target Disk Mode still there? Boot from a CD with the C key? Details, PLEASE!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by tikiman

Ok, SOMEONE needs to reboot one of these new machines on the MacWorld floor to see what the production startup / boot / post sequence looks like...

Is there a BIOS readout? Instant on? (doubt it)? New startup chime? Target Disk Mode still there? Boot from a CD with the C key? Details, PLEASE!

I think they're EFI.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    The Intel Macs use EFI
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ok... And what does it look/sound like when it first starts, compared to a PowerPC based Mac?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by tikiman

ok... And what does it look/sound like when it first starts, compared to a PowerPC based Mac?

*bump*

i would also like know this.

i have wanted a new startup chime ever since Steve arrived.

this has to be the perfect time... right?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    These are the few remaining questions I have about the new units, and I forgot to put them through their paces while at the show yesterday...

New chime? Boot sequence / speed? FW Target Disk mode? I'll head back Thursday and get some answers.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    MacFixIt posted this information regarding target disk mode and other keyboard commands which still work with the new Intel Macs... W00t!

Quote:

Intel-based Macs: FireWire target disk mode, startup keyboard commands retained

Apple officials have informed us that FireWire target disk mode is available on both the new iMac Core Duo and MacBook Pro, eclipsing earlier speculation that this boot option would no longer be available.

Apple also told MacFixIt that startup keyboard commands -- such as Command-C to startup from the optical drive, and Command-option to pick the startup device at boot -- have been retained with the switch to Intel architecture.

• Reply 7 of 7
    Went to the Apple Store at Aspen Grove today and rebooted their Intel iMac. Same startup sound as the PPC model (I'm actually disappointed) and it goes from complete black straight to "Apple grey" without any sort of POST messages, vendor text, etc.

Hooray!

Also tried target disk mode and it worked too.