10.4.4 with NoIP

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was wanting some advice if I could. I have 10.4.4 on the internet, which means that I have port 80 forwarding from my Airport connection. I have Firewall running and only port 80 is forwarded. What other security steps should I take. My roommate is a Windows Jockey and is very worried about hyjacking. I was under the impression that Apple built web sharing options into OSX because it is secure. So is it?? I know that I have talked to others here and they have had a freeBSD machine on the net for months without even a firewall. As I went over the configuration file for Apache it appears that most stuff is not turned on, which should make it more secure. I have been told that there is a root worm, but I think that is why we are asked about installing a file that is downloaded and includes an application. I have always thought that the MacOS is very secure, as it ships, and the updates are only making that better.

My site is here: http://www.sketchiness.org

Ty

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    to be honest, I've run with Firewall OFF ith MacOS X since forever... I honestly wouldn't be worried about anything. At work I just have normal builtin Firewall on.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Your machine is very secure. You have one hardware firewall (the Airport router) and a software firewall (in OS X). Don't worry about people hacking in. I have a similar setup and the only "hacking" I ever found are automated bots trying to break windows machines. Nothing that would affect OS X.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Your machine is very secure. You have one hardware firewall (the Airport router) and a software firewall (in OS X). Don't worry about people hacking in. I have a similar setup and the only "hacking" I ever found are automated bots trying to break windows machines. Nothing that would affect OS X.

So you guys are serving? With NoIP, I have a name for my machine and I'm using Apache to serve web pages. I did this because I wanted to have a test site that I could practice on and not have to worry. For example, I'm donating some work to Special Olympics and yet I wanted to have it so they could see what I was working on and more importantly I could see how it would look on the web from IE/Win. I have not seen anything, most of the features in Apache are turned off in the http.conf file. I thought that it was secure, but you never know. And as far as the firewalls go I had to punch a hole for port 80 communications, since that is where the requests for the web pages would come from. So my computer is serving files through that hole, and of course I have a hole in the router.