Mobile Me

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Is this a possible Newton rebirth?

the iPone/ iPad/ iPod all rolled into one?

probably not, but it would be cool if Apple could pull this off and not suffer the "jack of all trades and master of none" syndrome.

Maybe it is a wireless network tied into .Mac or something. Either way, I think the prospects are quite interesting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    My bet?

The rebirth of the Home-On-iPod idea in one of two ways:

1) A small device (possibly an iPod, possibly a new device) that stores your prefs, selected documents, and selected apps. When you plug it into your Mac, it syncs back up with your local drive. Plug it into any *other* Mac, and it lets you log in as yourself, with your workspace intact.

2) Same as above, but using .Mac instead of a device. Usable anywhere there's an internet connection.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Mobile Me, whatever it ends up being, sounds like an amazing piece of technology! I'm extremely siked about it....
  • Reply 3 of 18
    mbg5mbg5 Posts: 36member
    i like the sound of Kickaha's idea! that would be real cool
  • Reply 4 of 18
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    I would think that Mobile Me, if it ever becomes anything, will not be one device. To encompass all of the abilities outlined in the trademark applications there is no way one device could possibly effectively and appropriately handle all of them.

Leads me to believe that it would be referring to a mobile version of OS X that would work on several devices communicating wirelessly and/or wired and would automatically recognize each other via Bonjour.

Apple may have devices contract manufactured for themselves(re: iPhone for example) and/or may license this technology out to other companies(re: stereo/TV manufacturers).
  • Reply 5 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

To encompass all of the abilities outlined in the trademark applications...

Trademark apps almost always overstate a device or concept. The trademark on the iPod covers far more than the iPod is capable of. It's essentially a way for Apple to ensure that all their bases are covered whichever direction they take a product AND to not give away too much specific information to competitors.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    It is Apples next Intel offering: A paper thin laptop with 1.8 drive super low voltage chip and no optical drive, The battery will last for 16 hours. It will only cost 499 dollars. But due to the slow chip it won´t be able to run anything above Windows ME, hence the name.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    It would be cool is they would come out with an iPod Core type device, about the size of a nano but a little bit larger, with attachments you can get for it. It offers 'core' music playing functionality but you can get Apple or 3rd party attachments that attach to the back, with a mechanism much like the magnetic connection technology they introduced with the MacBook, that expands the capabilities.

A digital camera.

A better digital camera.

A CDMA phone.

A GSM phone.

A <insert your technology here> phone.

A battery back.

A wifi pack.

You get the idea. Mobile Me.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    I, too, thought exactly what Kickaha wrote above

the moment I read Mobile Me
  • Reply 9 of 18
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    consider the u3 flash drives, what if the "nano" had an interface for all the above AND was able to run osx on ANY intel machine plug and play, view, leave
  • Reply 10 of 18
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJNY

I, too, thought exactly what Kickaha wrote above

the moment I read Mobile Me

Me too, except for the word "selected." With portable hard drives now getting up to 160 GB, it seems to me you should be able to put all your documents on one. All of your apps too, if it weren't for the licensing issues.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    any link between Moto dropped producing Rockr and possible

iPod (phone)???
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

Me too, except for the word "selected." With portable hard drives now getting up to 160 GB, it seems to me you should be able to put all your documents on one. All of your apps too, if it weren't for the licensing issues.

No kidding. My home directory is 17GB...12GB of it is music and already on my iPod. I would like want control (as I do with iTunes) about what goes on and what doesn't.

I think this is possibly some part of a larger strategy to "invert the hub" where iPod is at the center of it. iPod becomes your everything...and your PC becomes a peripheral. Sounds outrageous at the moment. But it is a great strategy for Apple to pursue.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

consider the u3 flash drives, what if the "nano" had an interface for all the above AND was able to run osx on ANY intel machine plug and play, view, leave

NIRVANA---cool then all intel and window machines a "slave" to the apple u3 device. just use it as a shell we should be able to carry our os x with us where ever we go,
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I think Mobile Me sounds like something along the lines of what Kickaha said, only I see a few... well, not shortcomings, but ways to go around this entirely:

-Imagine that you have a place - online- where you can store all of your "stuff" - backup to computer and all of your media, docs, etc... basically, your "home" folder, and then some. If you were able to store all of your things online, then there wouldn't be a need for such a device, since all you will need is a (high-speed) internet connection to not only access your files, but also to transform any Macintosh into yours... temporarily. Also, storing all of your things online would get rid of the task of synchronizing between computers, folders, usb drives, etc..., which can be quite a hassle.

-So, Mobile Me might start out as a device like Kickaha said, but I see such a device evolving into what I described... and since today, not everyone has access to a high speed internet connection, mobile me on a device like an iPod (instead of online) might just be the trick... only until 5 years from now, ofcourse - when more people have high speed internet.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    some thoughts:

The mobile me could be a usb flash drive synced with my user account on my mac. It has say 4gb of storage, (its not just ipods apple wants that flash memory for) and so it coppies all my latest files and folders as well as the applications needed to use them + playlists, iphoto albums, emails, contacts, calendars (here is where i can see there being a problem, is 4gb enough?). When i plug this into another mac, i show up as a user in the user list, and i can use fast user switching etc to get to my files.

Heres a good bit tho.

If you have .mac, it now gives you lots of space to upload all your other stuff, so that if you plug into a computer which has a high speed internet connection, you can gain access to all your other stuff.

Now for the killer bit.

If you are not using a mac, you have an additional (phsical) plugin for your mobile me drive, which contains osx. This is then run emulated under windows (to avoid hardware incompatabilities, but you would still get say 70% performance) So you get mac osx wherever.

We can dream

stu
  • Reply 16 of 18
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Most likely is software methinks. The RokR was dropped becuase it sucked.

We can still dream though...
  • Reply 17 of 18
    I am with Nofeer on this one. Include Home on iPod with OSX included and every PC can become Apple's test ground. I read Kickaha post when it got to me, but it took 3 days to activate my account. A lame entry with first post. Can anyone think of any technical problems with OSX on iPod ? Apple could really hit Microsoft where it hurts if they release this before Vista comes out.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    it doesn't have to be a full osx just like MS moble pc 5.0, it can do the elegant basics but people will be straining their necks to see such a cool desktop on their "windows" machine.

the neat thing about this, is that it's hardware independent , mobile, secure.

a mobile osx yea....then a newton like device....u3 compatible usb drive for osx

is this misinformation from apple? or when will it be around...does anyone know the usual time frame from patent request to something we can see???