New Ti's out

Comments

• Reply 81 of 124
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    saw the new 667 today.

the increased resolution is barely noticeable. very dissapointing. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be that big a difference. Quality looks pretty much the same. Maybe a tad bit sharper but probably just do to the little bit of resolution increase. Brightness was the same, viewing angle vertically may have been a bit better but I should have given this more thought while using it. damn

performance, just basic app use going through OS X etc was exact as my 667, surprise

they had nothing that I could test the radeon 7500 on. nothing. not anything 3d related. dissapointing. didn't even have an MP3 on the machine so I could see how itunes visuals performed.

Case is identical with the exception of the bottom which had a heat pad on the back side opposite battery. Not sure if it makes a difference. machine was just unpacked and turned on when I got there I believe and was cold to the touch.

No 800 to play with yet but hopefully they'll have it soon
  • Reply 82 of 124
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>saw the new 667 today.

the increased resolution is barely noticeable. very dissapointing. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought the difference was rather large. You might not notice it just casually looking at the screen (especially if you don't have the old screen right next to it) but the new screen is a much nicer res for the size. If you open up the system prefs or something else where the window is always the same size on both an old and new Tibook you can really see how much larger they appear on the old screen.

Also definitely brighter, but not quite as good as the ibook.
  • Reply 83 of 124
    nostradamusnostradamus Posts: 397member
    I found these picts on MacNN.

<a href="http://community.webshots.com/photo/37081831/37082242TdWHKb"; target="_blank">The screens compared</a>

<a href="http://community.webshots.com/photo/37081831/37082140YWcPlB"; target="_blank">Bottoms; notice the patch and screws</a>

It should be obvious which model is the newer revision C. The older PowerBook is a 667MHz revision B.

<a href="http://community.webshots.com/photo/37081831/37083231pSpaBR"; target="_blank">The inside</a>

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 84 of 124
    Guess what!?

I called up the Apple Store Friday to see if they had any 800mhz TiBooks in stock. Sure enough!

Drove down after work and bought one too! Now, I'm a current 600mhz iBook owner and G4 tower owner. I want to replace everything with this new TiBook. It is amazing! I also picked up Wolfenstein to test out the graphics. Without seeing the same game on a high-end PC, my only gripes are no anti-alising on strait lines (also known as the jaggies), and when looking at the sky and in foggy areas, there is obvious banding.

Anyone have any questions about it?
  • Reply 85 of 124
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The side-by-side photos on MacNN clearly showed the new screen is brighter. Unless the person intentionally dimmed the older PowerBook's screen, the difference is very noticeable.
  • Reply 86 of 124
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    ... or you were trying to convince yourself that the new, faster, cheaper 667s were no better than your recently bought, slower, more expensive 667...

(kidding applenut, put down the flame thrower...)
  • Reply 87 of 124
    Mr. Fantastic, what kind of framerates are you getting on Wolfenstein?
  • Reply 88 of 124
    mac makkamac makka Posts: 17member
    All you guys sound like you are buying a magazine, "just popped down to the store and bought one!" It's an expensive computer. I mean it's cool to be able to do that, i want one and i have to really do some soul searching to see if i really need it - What do you guys reckon??

I'm still getting by on my blue and white G3 350. Someone said only upgrade if you can double your speed, well i think this more than doubles that. Portability would be a great help - Is the 800 much better than the 667??

Come on guys, i need you to push me over the edge so i just get one.
  • Reply 89 of 124
    [quote]Originally posted by Dennis the Phantom Menace:

<strong>Mr. Fantastic, what kind of framerates are you getting on Wolfenstein?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would be happy to tell you if I knew exactly how to get those specs. However, I believe the game actually plays better in OS 9! I bought RealMyst last week and it played like ass in OS X on my G4 tower w/704MB ram and a Radeon card. It to, played better in OS 9, but just barely.

Also, the optical drive is much better than the ones in the first and second generation TiBooks. When the first Gen came out, for every five I would work on, at least one had a poor slot loading drive that worked only half the time. This third Gen drive works great!

And to the fellow who likened my purchase to buying a magazine: all well and good. I had actually been contemplating a new purchase for over a month and the time was just right. Good thing to, because I was getting tired of the 600mhz G3 iBook's poor performance in OS X. I'll sell that to recover some of the cost for the 800mhz TiBook.

Cheers,
  • Reply 90 of 124
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    Mac Makka, I agree. I'm using a 2 1/2 year old iMac DV Special Edition (500Mghz) and it's still going strong. I have vowed that my next Mac would be an iBook or PowerBook, but between 2 kids, the house, the cars - life in general - it'll be while before I csan hope to afford a new machine.
  • Reply 91 of 124
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>... or you were trying to convince yourself that the new, faster, cheaper 667s were no better than your recently bought, slower, more expensive 667...

(kidding applenut, put down the flame thrower...) </strong><hr></blockquote>

got my Powerbook 667 for 2500 dollars from ClubMac with an additional airport card back in octobober. There is no jealousy here.

Looking at that side by side pic I thought the right one had to be the newer one. it looked a lot sharper and clearer IMO. then I scrolled down and saw it was the old one. Increased brightness is great but not if it washes out the color.
  • Reply 92 of 124
    What washed out image? The image is higher res, of course you're missing details in a snapshot from a still camera.

I don't see it.
  • Reply 93 of 124
    again. IMO the one on the right has better color.
  • Reply 94 of 124
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>What washed out image? The image is higher res, of course you're missing details in a snapshot from a still camera.

[snip]

I don't see it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Given the nature of the snapshot, seems like any difference would be better seen if the two explorer windows didn't fill the screen, but rather were the same number of pixels. It's hard to tell any differences because the snapshot isn't very high resolution itself. (Not complaining though. My powerbook should be here tomorrow!)
  • Reply 95 of 124
    guitarblokeguitarbloke Posts: 125member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>again. IMO the one on the right has better color.</strong><hr></blockquote>a) that's a lousy photo

b) that's a lossy compression

c) the viewing angles might well be slightly different

d) if a monitor's too bright, you can always turn it down; but just take a dim LCD outside on a sunny day....
  • Reply 96 of 124
    One more reason why the new PowerBook G4s are cooler...

Massive heatpiping.

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/macrat/.Pictures/powerbookg4/pages/DSC00022.htm"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/macrat/.Pictures/powerbookg4/pages/DSC00022.htm</a>;

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 97 of 124
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong><a href="http://homepage.mac.com/macrat/.Pictures/powerbookg4/pages/DSC00022.htm"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/macrat/.Pictures/powerbookg4/pages/DSC00022.htm</a>;

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just noticed the "warranty void if removed"-sticker there - is that normal? Does that mean you can't upgrade your RAM yourself without voiding your warranty? Sombody please tell me that's not the case...

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 98 of 124
    That sticker belongs to the RAM itself, not the PowerBook. It's third-party TransIntl RAM, presumably installed by the user.
  • Reply 99 of 124
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Makka:

<strong>

Come on guys, i need you to push me over the edge so i just get one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I say wait for 10.2

When jaguar arrives we'll finally have the real OSX. It's just a summer. We may even see slight bumps and price drops by them. RAM and LCD prices will drop again. You'll probably be able to get an 800 on the bottom end and with new lower pricing. Sligthly bigger standard HD's and RAM allotments. Mebbe even DDR depending on what happens with this server announcement next week.

But it isn't even so much a hardware thing.

Waiting for the real OSX, with it's numerous enhancements and a significant speed boost will allow you to judge the true OSX ability of the machine and jump whole-hog into the OSX experience without the frustrations of early adopters and the few niggles that remain. You'll be happier for it.

For now, for OS9, B&W is just fine. But start saving your pennies, you may even have a new powermac to decide between by then.
  • Reply 100 of 124
    faxthatfaxthat Posts: 64member
    If someone who has a new 667 would like to run PPC Checker available at xlr8yourmac.com, it will tell us what CPU is in the new TiBook. The software returns the PVR code from the PPC: Here is the one for the 7455. If it is 0x8000 instead it is the Vger 7450/1

7455, Apollo 6 2.1 0x80010201