Will Apple drop PB once MacBook ships?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I realize the need to still have it around until the MacBooks ship next month, but will Apple kill the PB shortly thereafter?

Of course there are apps that are not yet optimized for the Intel MacBook. But if the increase in speed is so great, wouldn't those apps running in Rosetta be just as fast as native PPC apps running on a G4 Powerbook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    read somewhere 15" will be supplied until stock available
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

read somewhere 15" will be supplied until stock available

"While supplies last."

Yeah the 15-inch PowerBook G4 is almost completely dead. R.I.P.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    My guess is that they will keep sellin git until the intelbook is actually available and then introduce the 17" Macbook as well and kill off both high end G4 powerbooks in one go. The 17" Powerbook G4 now looks like a REALLY bad deal, its a total lame duck now. I imagine sales will be almost zero until its replaced....
  • Reply 4 of 4
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I realize the need to still have it around until the MacBooks ship next month, but will Apple kill the PB shortly thereafter?

Of course there are apps that are not yet optimized for the Intel MacBook. But if the increase in speed is so great, wouldn't those apps running in Rosetta be just as fast as native PPC apps running on a G4 Powerbook?

Look to the iMac G5 for your answer.