Ethernet problem.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm having trouble with my Ethernet on my G4 iBook.

Network preferences say:

'Built in Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 10.0.0.1. You are connected to the internet via Built in Ethernet.'

The trouble is that Safari says I'm not connected to the internet and refuses to open any pages. I've tried different modems, routers and Filters but they all give the same result.

I can connect using dial up or a seperate USB modem but I need Ethernet for our network!

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    10.0.0.1 is a private, internal IP. That is assigned by a router, which is fine if that is what is supposed to be the case. Since you don't specify, we'll wait for further information.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I'm trying to connect using my service provider. I'm a home user.

Any other info you need?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    regreg Posts: 832member
    It sounds like your modem or router might be locked up. Reset those and see if that clears it up.

reg
  • Reply 4 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by womblingfree

I'm trying to connect using my service provider. I'm a home user.

Any other info you need?

Yes - DSL or Cable? Router or no router?

That 10.0.0.1 comes from a router or wireless base station usually, that is why I ask.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    DSL and I'm using a router.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

It sounds like your modem or router might be locked up. Reset those and see if that clears it up.

reg

Tried 2 different modems and routers with the same results. My flatmates Powerbook is having the same problem.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    What kind of router do you have? Can you ping your router? What is your gateway address? Are you allowed to have multiple computers behind your internet connection? Can you create network with your flatmate? Many questions, but more info is needed to know what is wrong with your network
  • Reply 8 of 9
    We can (and have) had multiple computers behind our connection. Tried each compter individually also. Also tried the modem without the router.

Just discovered that when the DSL modem is plugged into the DSL filter the phone doesn't work! USB modem in the filter, the phone works fine.

Using a 4 port DSL router, Speedtouch 600 series (UK).

How do I find the Gateway address and ping the router?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by womblingfree

Using a 4 port DSL router, Speedtouch 600 series (UK).

How do I find the Gateway address and ping the router?

I couldn't find info about that router, but it's propably nat router as were other 6xx series routers.

You can check Gateway address from system preferences\

etwork\\TCP/IP\\

it's the other ip address there.

You can ping either with network utility or in terminal typing ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, if that works, try also to ping www.google.com