Optical out to 5.1

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
On my old PC I had 5.1 PCI card. I put the 3 (Green, Tan, and Black) cables into the corresponding plugs, however on my iMac I only have an Optical out. Can anyone post a link to something that could allow me to connect my speakers to my iMac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    you will still need a "box" to decode the audio to 5.1......you cant just plug that into a 5.1 set of speakers.

like plug the optical out into your surround sound receiver/dvd player.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Some newer (and more expensive) speakers can accept optical input. The conversion is done on the speakers itself. But if you have an older (or cheaper) set of speakers, then this won't work.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

Some newer (and more expensive) speakers can accept optical input. The conversion is done on the speakers itself. But if you have an older (or cheaper) set of speakers, then this won't work.

Well, I really don't feel like buying a new set of speakers. I was just wondering if there is a converter or a set of cables that can take the output of the computer and use my old speakers.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    If you're thinking of just some cables, then you're out of luck. You'll need an amplifier module of some sort to do the digital to analogue conversion, or get it done in speakers that accept digital input.

Either way, it's more money, or revert to 2.1 or 2.0 sound. Sorry!