Apple's Jobs says Michael Dell should eat his own words

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wings

Oh, I dunno.... but something about seeing 2 naked men in bed together just doesn't seem to fit here, ya know what I mean?

To be honest I had given up on this fanboy thread. But I see the point and it is fixed.

I can just imagine what fun people will have with this thread in the Ars battlefront. I really thought mac users had moved away from the "us against them" terminology...
  • Reply 22 of 42
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

How bad did it look when the compay trying to sell windows and IIS with their servers was using Webobjects...the pressure likely came from Microsoft, not an internal thing from Mike...

Just as bad as when apple.com wasn´t hosted on mac os X server...
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:

Oh, I dunno.... but something about seeing 2 naked men in bed together just doesn't seem to fit here, ya know what I mean?

You could move the thread to Current Hardware

(ducks)
  • Reply 24 of 42
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Apple needs to convince people that despite their computer systems having a higher sticker price, in the end, you will save money by buying a Mac. For example through comparable iLife programs on PC, iSight camera, etc, etc, etc.

Apple should create a special cheap business solution mac and comperable Mac OS X for business that don't want iLife to come with new Macs, need special business/network options (Mac OS X Server?), and who need Microsoft Office includded for free.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Apple should get the Dell Dude in its next commercial.

Dude I got a Dell and I flunked out of school!

I should have gotten a Mac!!

That would be SWEET!

How about this: Dell Dude somberly looks into the camera. Admits he used to sell Dells. Then admits he made mistakes when he was younger, complete with flashbacks of him toking up in clouds of smoke. Lifts up a MacBook Pro and grins widely, "If I only knew then what I know now!"

Okay, it's a recipe for a Dell lawsuit, but one can dream.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    soosysoosy Posts: 23member
    I'm bothered that Cnet's headline of:

Jobs suggests Dell should eat his words

turned into Appleinsiders headline of:

Actually, what Jobs reportedly said was a lot less inflammatory: "Team, it turned out that Michael Dell wasn't perfect at predicting the future."

Both headlines bother me as I view them as being needlessly sensational. At least Cnet used the word "suggests".

Just had to point this out.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

It's the difference between being a real computer company and a parts assembler.

Except that most of Apple's success in the last few years has spawned from the success of the iPod and iTunes Music Store, which don't really fall under the "computer" category in my opinion.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

To be honest I had given up on this fanboy thread. But I see the point and it is fixed.

I can just imagine what fun people will have with this thread in the Ars battlefront. I really thought mac users had moved away from the "us against them" terminology...

Things have changed over the last 3 years, since Apple has grown so much. 'We' actually have some worthy firepower to talk about.

It would love to see Steve make a notice about the Dell vs. Apple market value at a SteveNote?.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    I'll bet Jobs would love to see Dell eat more than just words. LOL!
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by soosy

Actually, what Jobs reportedly said was a lot less inflammatory: "Team, it turned out that Michael Dell wasn't perfect at predicting the future."

Both headlines bother me as I view them as being needlessly sensational. At least Cnet used the word "suggests".

You're right. Parsing the words to make a more sensational headline is bad journalism. Good thing there are no journalists here.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xanthohappy

Except that most of Apple's success in the last few years has spawned from the success of the iPod and iTunes Music Store, which don't really fall under the "computer" category in my opinion.

Oh? How many iPods did Apple sell last year compared to this year. Or the year before that? Not all that many, and certainly not enough to single handedly thrust Apple to the point they are at now.

The iPod is a big success now, but this ship has been turning around for quite some time now. You can't resurrect a dying company with the release of one rather expensive gadget. There is so much more involved with a company the size of Apple that I can't help but chuckle at the complete naivete of statements like that.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:

agreed... Johnny didnt even say something inciteful like my posts (ill direct you to the "lol" comment). Moderstors please step in.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Guys guys, it's not length; it's GIRTH!

/if this doesn't kill the thread...
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Even with a link to the original Times article, this is still plagiarism...
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Lots of things are plagiarised on the internet.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soosy

Steve Jobs: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. What I said was [megaphone]How would you like to suck my balls, Michael Dell?[/megaphone]

Phil Schiller: Holy shit dude.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Oh? How many iPods did Apple sell last year compared to this year. Or the year before that? Not all that many, and certainly not enough to single handedly thrust Apple to the point they are at now.

The iPod is a big success now, but this ship has been turning around for quite some time now. You can't resurrect a dying company with the release of one rather expensive gadget. There is so much more involved with a company the size of Apple that I can't help but chuckle at the complete naivete of statements like that.

Huh? Ipod sales have been flat for 2 years? Try, sales of more than 5 times as many than the end of 2003. Even with decent growth in computers shipped, ipod accounts for around 1/3 - 1/2 of all of Apple's revenue.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by xmoger

Huh? Ipod sales have been flat for 2 years? Try, sales of more than 5 times as many than the end of 2003. Even with decent growth in computers shipped, ipod accounts for around 1/3 - 1/2 of all of Apple's revenue.

i agree. further the ipod makes up close to half of their business, with macs being the other half and accessories taking a small piece as well. Counting accessories as part of the ipod would probably push it over 50%. This also mislooks the fact that part of the reason macs are doing better is because of the ipod, its halo effect and simply getting people in the door at an apple store.

oh and i believe the numbers were like 24 mil last christmas season and 45 mil this season (actually that may have been yearly, with 2004 and 2005 respectfully). either way, i wouldnt consider that flat at all (though even flat would still be great profits).
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Steve Jobs: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. What I said was [megaphone]How would you like to suck my balls, Michael Dell?[/megaphone]

Phil Schiller: Holy shit dude.

This post totally made my day! Thanks, pal.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Well now the iPod accounts for a ton of dough, but the statement I was referring to was that the iPod was the driving force for years now, and that is simply inaccurate. The iPod hasn't been responsible for such huge revenue until very recently in fact.

The original iMac has more to do with Apple's current status than the iPod does.