New Airport Extreme

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have not switched yet, I am still on winblows but I have already decided that I will be getting a MacBook Pro (Rev. B). I want to get a Airport Extreme to keep my setup simple. However, I have heard that the Airport Extreme is slower than the compitition and overpriced. I am hoping for a revision to it by fall, but is this plausible or should I not hold my breath? Is the airport extreme really that slow and overpriced that it is not worth it?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by ukieboarder

I have not switched yet, I am still on winblows but I have already decided that I will be getting a MacBook Pro (Rev. B). I want to get a Airport Extreme to keep my setup simple. However, I have heard that the Airport Extreme is slower than the compitition and overpriced. I am hoping for a revision to it by fall, but is this plausible or should I not hold my breath? Is the airport extreme really that slow and overpriced that it is not worth it?

Thanks

1. I don't know if any competitors have the audio streaming feature of AirportExpress...so in that sense it may not have any competitors.

2. I have no complaints at all. I use it only for accessing my broadband connection (cable modem) which is slower than the claimed bandwidth of the AE.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Plus you can plug your printer into it and get wireless printing. And a new feature in iTunes lets you stream to multiple speakers.

I have also taken mine on the road with me and used it easily in hotels.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    You guys are talking about airport EXPRESS. I was asking about airport EXTREME. Is there a speed difference and what are the other differences?
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Plus you can plug your printer into it and get wireless printing. And a new feature in iTunes lets you stream to multiple speakers.

I have also taken mine on the road with me and used it easily in hotels.

Wow, i hadn't heard they've allowed for the streaming to multiple expresses at once?!?

Can anyone confirm this?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zpapasmurf

Wow, i hadn't heard they've allowed for the streaming to multiple expresses at once?!?

Can anyone confirm this?

New to iTunes 6.0.2.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    now that's a feature i've been waiting for!

has anyone had any experiences with a dual express setup?

is the music in sync? can you do different songs to different airports from different computers? how's the performance?

im really really really stoked about this!
  • Reply 7 of 33
    back to the subject at hand: get a Linksys WRT54G. There is really nothing special about the extreme, it just looks good.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    But is it hard to set up because I really hate my current router.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaturalElement

back to the subject at hand: get a Linksys WRT54G. There is really nothing special about the extreme, it just looks good.

yeah, if you're running in b/g compatibility mode, you lose a lot of speed from what I can tell.

The USB printing and apple's configuration utility are really nice features though. Port mapping is a breeze. That being said, mine needs to be reset maybe once every 2 months for idk what reason (not reset like re-do the settings etc, but just unplug it, plug it back in to reboot)

Oh, don't forget! you can hang that Airport Extreme on the wall! How many other wireless routers can claim that? We all know that that's a lot more important than anything else, isn't it?
  • Reply 10 of 33
    So "multiple speakers" lets you stream to multiple Airport Express hubs? That's pretty cool--I thought it was for simultaneous use of the computer speakers and those attached to the AE.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by andrewjnyc

So "multiple speakers" lets you stream to multiple Airport Express hubs? That's pretty cool--I thought it was for simultaneous use of the computer speakers and those attached to the AE.

Both.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    I havent found my Airport Extreme any slower than any other wireless adaptor. I honestly dont notice any difference at all when cruising the net.

Howerver I have to chime in on the Airport Express. It is MUCH better than any other wireless router. It has alot more features that other ones i've used. Although I do have to admit, i have not used any other routers in the $130 price range so that may make a big difference. I just like having WPA2 (personal and enterprise) security, and the ability to adjust the range of the signal. Mine stays on about 10% so that the signal stays w/in my apartment.

Also I like apple's configuration utility. Its much easier to use in my opinion compared to other companys' web based apps. I have used netgear and linksys routers. I like netgear, but i have had nothing but problems w/ linksys. same w/ friends of mine. Linksys my be a subset of cisco systems, but they sure aren't cisco systems haha
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Is there a difference in range between Airport Express and Extreme? What are the differences that make the Extreme more expensive?
  • Reply 14 of 33
    now im confused, are we talking about the airport extreme in laptops or the airport extreme base station? i was talking about the airport extreme in the laptops.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Aren´t we talking about Steves jet?
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Aren?t we talking about Steves jet?

• Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by CNUco2007

now im confused, are we talking about the airport extreme in laptops or the airport extreme base station? i was talking about the airport extreme in the laptops.

I was asking about base stations.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    My girlfriend has an older G3 ibook and the Apple Airport cards on ebay are going for rediculous prices.

Does anyone know if there are any other options to getting wireless web for this laptop. Thanks for any info.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by zpapasmurf

now that's a feature i've been waiting for!

has anyone had any experiences with a dual express setup?

is the music in sync? can you do different songs to different airports from different computers? how's the performance?

im really really really stoked about this!

I have a dual express setup and 1) the same tune can be streamed to both set of speakers at the same time (Yes in sync) 2) You cannot send different songs to different speakers.

But I hope this will happen in the future.

I suppose you could send music to different Airports as long they are from seperate computers.

• Reply 20 of 33
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by andrewjnyc

Doesn't work.

When you try to play music over both the AirPort Express and your local computer speakers you get an error message 'The current remote speaker "$AIRPORT_NAME" does not support playback as part of a group. Do you want to switch playback to the computer?'