Flash Drive Transfers OSX to 9.2

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've been a Mac user since 1984. I'm finally stumped. I just bought a small flash drive, Cruzer Micro, and an having the following problem. When I copy files (happens with FileMaker and PageMaker) from my computer with system 10.4.4 and transfer them to a Mac running 9.2, the files appear as PC generic icons (with "PC" on them). I cannot seem to find out why. 9.2 to 9.2 works fine, OSX to OSX works fine. I can't believe this is the way it should be. Help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Hi

Most Flash drives come formatted as Fat 16 or Fat 32 if you want it work better under both OS 9 & OS X it needs to be reformatted via Disk Utility to Mac Extended Format.

I have several of these and the mac extended format works the best for me as I have to use both OS 9 & X quite a bit.

I hope this helps

Rob
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by rob05au

Hi

Most Flash drives come formatted as Fat 16 or Fat 32 if you want it work better under both OS 9 & OS X it needs to be reformatted via Disk Utility to Mac Extended Format.

I have several of these and the mac extended format works the best for me as I have to use both OS 9 & X quite a bit.

I hope this helps

Rob

• Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ginkgo

Sounds like that's what I want...but..Disk Utility only offers 2 formats for PCs not Mac Extended
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ginkgo

Sounds like that's what I want...but..Disk Utility only offers 2 formats for PCs not Mac Extended

Forget my last message, I was selecting the partition, not the drive. Works fine - Thanks very much.