The coolest thing that nobody noticed in the eMac...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
...Is the Airport integration! look at where they put the darn thing... right above the optical drive! It's almost too easy to install! take a look halfway down the page... <a href="http://www.apple.com/education/emac/internet.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/education/emac/internet.html</a>;

come on... It's the little things that count!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    Noticed it... but rather than thinking it's cool... it looks easy for prying little "students" to remove the card and make-off with it. Unless I'm missing something... it looks WAY too easy to steal the card;

1) Eject a CD

2) Remove AirPort Card

3) Repeat on all machines

I hope I'm wrong... it seems like it would be a MAJOR oversight.

- Scott

P.S. - I forgot my old login... so I'm back to my "first" post. It's been a while for me.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    There is a locking mechanism there to keep little hands from taking the airport card.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    what happened to the ebook? on cbs news the other night, they talked about an emac and a laptop version of it also. guess that must be the next secret. oops.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by mac's girl:

<strong>what happened to the ebook? on cbs news the other night, they talked about an emac and a laptop version of it also. guess that must be the next secret. oops.</strong><hr></blockquote>

When was this?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Sounds like they misspoke. Nothing on CBS internet site.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Seriously, is there a locking device? It looks too easy to take the thing/
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Actually, if you look at some of the other pictures on Apple's site, the black border surrounding the drive is larger when you see the airport card. This suggests to me that in order to insert the airport card you have to remove the faceplate of the drive (Hence the two screw holes on either side of the drive in the airport exposed picture). Just a theory, but I don't think that the airport card is just exposed when the optical drive opens.

Ed
  • Reply 8 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Sounds like they misspoke. Nothing on CBS internet site.</strong><hr></blockquote>

it was on the news 2 days ago... maybe they dont know the difference between an ebook and a ti-powerbook? ha! but they did say "a laptop version of the emac."
  • Reply 9 of 19
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Mac's Girl i recall a product several years ago (maybe a decade?)called eBook that was sort of a transportable keyboard and mini-screen that looked like a low-end potentially interesting portable, but it never went anywhere. b&w screen I recall. Kids hated it.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    mac's girlmac's girl Posts: 556member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cubit:

<strong>Mac's Girl i recall a product several years ago (maybe a decade?)called eBook that was sort of a transportable keyboard and mini-screen that looked like a low-end potentially interesting portable, but it never went anywhere. b&w screen I recall. Kids hated it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

thats how far behind the news ppl are maybe.

anyway, i dont like the "e" prefix. it reminds me too much of the wintel "emachine" crap. i prefer to live in an iWorld!!!!

• Reply 11 of 19
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member

<strong>

anyway, i dont like the "e" prefix. it reminds me too much of the wintel "emachine" crap. i prefer to live in an iWorld!!!!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Amen! Just saying "eMac" leaves such a bad taste in my mouth...YUCK!! No thankyou! Please ditch it Apple...PLEASE!! Call it the iMac "Education Edition"

They did it before with the iMac DV and iMac DV Special Edition. I mean...that'd be like calling the iMac DV a dMac or something...nasty!! Stick with the "i" prefix, we all love it!

• Reply 12 of 19
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I keep wanting to call it the GNU/eMac.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    naepstnnaepstn Posts: 78member

<strong>Mac's Girl i recall a product several years ago (maybe a decade?)called eBook that was sort of a transportable keyboard and mini-screen that looked like a low-end potentially interesting portable, but it never went anywhere. b&w screen I recall. Kids hated it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I believe it was called the "eMate", not the eBook. I remember being blown away the first time I saw one, since I didn't even know it existed at the time. From what I recall, it also had a stylus and touch screen and used blue plastics similar to the Bondi iMac. I believe it also ran NewtonOS, not MacOS. Good or bad, you decide!
  • Reply 14 of 19
    naepstnnaepstn Posts: 78member

I believe it was called the "eMate", not the eBook. I remember being blown away the first time I saw one, since I didn't even know it existed at the time. From what I recall, it also had a stylus and touch screen and used blue plastics similar to the Bondi iMac. I believe it also ran NewtonOS, not MacOS. Good or bad, you decide!
  • Reply 15 of 19
    mac's girlmac's girl Posts: 556member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>I keep wanting to call it the GNU/eMac. </strong><hr></blockquote>

amorph, your jokes are too intellectual for me! lol!! thats why you got a promotion and i got...nothing.

how about calling it a uMac? then we can sing, "iMac, uMac, we all mac for iMac!"
  • Reply 16 of 19

<strong>

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think that we should call it the iMace like the Apple IIe. just a throwback to the old days...
  • Reply 17 of 19
    allall Posts: 27member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>I keep wanting to call it the GNU/eMac. </strong><hr></blockquote>

• Reply 18 of 19
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    that's not the coolest thing... the actual coolest thing? buy the 1049 model and for 200 upgrade it to 512 ram and cdr, then sell the 128 and cdrom it comes with.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: janitor ]</p>