1000 engineers worked on it and out came...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This and that, which essentially is like this (minus DL-DVD), and - OK, there is nothing like the iMac. Yet. But with Intel laying the prototype groundwork, I wonder what the other, say, 900? engineers have been working on? I hope they weren't just working on the magnetic power plug?!

Anybody?

PS: Looking at the Acer 8200, the MacBook indeed seems rushed (No dual layer but thinner, no IP telephony but remote control). Does anybody know if they will use a LV Yonah to get "about the same" (quote SJ) battery life as the PowerBooks?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    There was a video clip of an Apple guy demoing the MacBook Pro to somone at MWSF - they asked about battery life and he didnt know because it was a prototype.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

There was a video clip of an Apple guy demoing the MacBook Pro to somone at MWSF - they asked about battery life and he didnt know because it was a prototype.

Newsweek gives a brief interview of Steve Jobs following the Macworld keynote last week.

It provides some interesting comments from Apple's CEO.

- MacBook Pro battery life should be "about the same"

Good lord that Acer is but ugly! (My view, not Steves - Although he'd probably agree)
  • Reply 3 of 55
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by heinzel

PS: Looking at the Acer 8200, the MacBook indeed seems rushed (No dual layer but thinner, no IP telephony but remote control).

What do you mean by no IP telephony?
  • Reply 4 of 55
    heinzelheinzel Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Good lord that Acer is but ugly! (My view, not Steves - Although he'd probably agree) [/B]

I agree.

Quote:

The Acer Travelmate 8200 comes with a bluetooth IP "handset" that can be charged in the cardbus slot. It also has most of the connectivity that the MacBook lacks, i.e. S-Video out, IrDA, PCMCIA, media card reader, and it also has a higher resolution display; On the other hand, the MacBook is lighter weight. In short, it's the typical Apple to oranges comparison (hardware features vs. style/weight/user experience)... .

What prompted me to post this topic was the "1000 engineers" quote from the keynote - it seems to me that with the MacBook, Apple went more or less with Intel's notebook reference design and put it in the Powerbook enclosure, which makes me wonder what all these engineers may have been working on (apart from the iMac motherboard and innards)? I would imagine a hundred engineers would have sufficed?

Given Apple's sensing display patent that surfaced recently, of course I would hope for an integrated eye tracker, e.g. by measuring the reflection of IR LEDs embedded in the corner of the screen.

Any other ideas what Apple and Intel could have been working on so ferociously?
  • Reply 5 of 55
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Really, you can use Skype or Gizmo project with the built-in microphone and speakers on any Mac laptop. No problem.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Newsweek gives a brief interview of Steve Jobs following the Macworld keynote last week.

It provides some interesting comments from Apple's CEO.

- MacBook Pro battery life should be "about the same"

Is that about the same as Apple say, or about the same as we get?

Apple claimed 5hrs+ but I've never got more than 3 (now 2).
  • Reply 7 of 55
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    1000 engineers, working on

motherboard, processor, RAM compatiblity, intel compilers,

lots of work there that we would not know ...

they may not be just working only on iMac n MBP, if we all expecting iBook and mac mini revision, there seems to be lots of work, with in June WWDC 05 to Jan/Feb 06...

very hard to understand huh, it is big change for APPLE as well as intel.

if we go to new job, it takes a while to get used it...

FANTASTIC job and very good product...

next time we may not need 1000 engineers to work only on MagSafe
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

Is that about the same as Apple say, or about the same as we get?

Apple claimed 5hrs+ but I've never got more than 3 (now 2).

You do know that batteries tend to do worse over time?
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

You do know that batteries tend to do worse over time?

Oh sure, I'm happy with it, but it never did 5.

I think to get 5 you need a dim screen, empty disc drive, no airport or bluetooth a energy saving on.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yup, backlight and AirPort will suck your battery dry really fast.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Which is why I wish Apple was using those new LED backlights Sony is. Brighter, better battery life and more accurate colour reproduction.

On the up side they are using the Intel wireless chip instead if their old chip, so that should see some power consumption improvements along with the already mentioned 802.11a support.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    1000 people worked to give you the iMac and MacBook Pro:

500 worked at Intel to make the chip.

100 worked at MWSF to set up the keynote.

100 worked in making the original design of the iMac G5

100 worked in making the original Powerbook G4 design

50 layers roamed the internet to look for leaks

40 made the commercial for the iMac ad.

25 worked hard to make fake "photos" of the MacBook pro

25 works in the canteen, cleaning persons and the like to service the developer deparment of Apple.

25 worked out the deals for production and and purchasing of parts for the two computers.

Jobs needs 20 private assistents for live performances (J-Lo needs more. That goes to show how down to earth he is).

Five worked at MWSF as "junior bottled water supply management" reporting directly to Jobs

One day a water pipe supplying infinity loop leaked. five men worked on that.

One man actually worked on fitting the intel motherboard into the iMac shells, ditto the MacBook.

One man loaded the OS on the two computers.

One man presented the computers and he called another man on iChat
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

1000 people worked to give you the iMac and MacBook Pro:

500 worked at Intel to make the chip.

100 worked at MWSF to set up the keynote.

100 worked in making the original design of the iMac G5

100 worked in making the original Powerbook G4 design

50 layers roamed the internet to look for leaks

40 made the commercial for the iMac ad.

25 worked hard to make fake "photos" of the MacBook pro

25 works in the canteen, cleaning persons and the like to service the developer deparment of Apple.

25 worked out the deals for production and and purchasing of parts for the two computers.

Jobs needs 20 private assistents for live performances (J-Lo needs more. That goes to show how down to earth he is).

Five worked at MWSF as "junior bottled water supply management" reporting directly to Jobs

One day a water pipe supplying infinity loop leaked. five men worked on that.

One man actually worked on fitting the intel motherboard into the iMac shells, ditto the MacBook.

One man loaded the OS on the two computers.

One man presented the computers and he called another man on iChat

What about the last guy...?
  • Reply 14 of 55
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by corbu

What about the last guy...?

He was doing that thing Rolo was talking about, but his kids broke it the night before the Keynote so Steve couldn't show it.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Or Rolo is the last guy! Dut Dun Duhhhhhhh...
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

1000 people worked to give you the iMac and MacBook Pro....

One man actually worked on fitting the intel motherboard into the iMac shells, DITTO the MacBook.

Whoops. I think I found him
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Dut Dun Duhhhhhhh...

Dut Dun Duhhhhhhh
  • Reply 18 of 55
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by heinzel

What prompted me to post this topic was the "1000 engineers" quote from the keynote - it seems to me that with the MacBook, Apple went more or less with Intel's notebook reference design and put it in the Powerbook enclosure, which makes me wonder what all these engineers may have been working on (apart from the iMac motherboard and innards)? I would imagine a hundred engineers would have sufficed?

Given Apple's sensing display patent that surfaced recently, of course I would hope for an integrated eye tracker, e.g. by measuring the reflection of IR LEDs embedded in the corner of the screen.

Any other ideas what Apple and Intel could have been working on so ferociously?

I would read that to mean that 1000 people are working on the project, and this is their first two computers out. There are people working on the iBook and DeskMac Pro, and others. Also remember that if it takes a year to get all of the models switched over, then all of them will be in need of a refresh or update. Apple must do a few things all at once, switch over to Intel, manage two processor lines, innovate and implement new technologies. And support updating and refreshing of all of the new models. Apple can do all of this but without Intel helping them it would take forever, and Intel wants Apple in a position to innovate using Intel technologies, so hopefully others will do the same.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    That Acer only proves that Apple is afraid to use the highest end components in their laptops. 1.8 GHz Core Duo, when the high end is over 2 GHz? WTF? Why would Apple do that? Now Apple's flagship laptop is neutered and will never approach the performance of a high end Wintel laptop.

Pathetic. I know Apple does this to attain their phat profit margins, but it's just such a disappointment that when we finally are able to have performance parity with Wintels, Apple CHOOSES not to.

Most likely, the Intel Powermacs will also be neutered so that they run slower than their comparable Wintel competitors. Lame, lame, lame.

Just once, I want to see Apple use an Intel chip that is FASTER than anything in the Wintel world, even if it's only for a month or two. Please Apple, surprise me!
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Actually JD, most manufacturers have gone with 1.83 so Apple aren't alone. What I am irked about (but not surprised) is that most of the competitors are about $400 cheaper. True, few come with 1GB RAM or built-in webcams, but most have modems, S-Video and higher res screens.

I think once the switch is over they might have to lower prices and reduce margins.