Finder Crashes Continuously

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac running 10.4.3 that has four users accounts. When logging in to one of the accounts the Finder crashes, restarts, crashes, restarts, crashes, etc. The other three accounts work just fine. I tried starting in Safe Mode and logging in to the bad user account but the Finder still crashes. I know it is localized to this one user account. What should I do next?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

I have a dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac running 10.4.3 that has four users accounts. When logging in to one of the accounts the Finder crashes, restarts, crashes, restarts, crashes, etc. The other three accounts work just fine. I tried starting in Safe Mode and logging in to the bad user account but the Finder still crashes. I know it is localized to this one user account. What should I do next?

are you comfortable using the terminal? Do you know how to use "sudo"?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Mr. H, I love the Terminal, but soon after posting my problem I figured out a solution.

My user had drug an attachment from Mail.app to her desktop. I deleted the files by SSHing from my computer to her computer and rm'd the two files. All is fixed.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Mr. H, I love the Terminal, but soon after posting my problem I figured out a solution.

My user had drug an attachment from Mail.app to her desktop. I deleted the files by SSHing from my computer to her computer and rm'd the two files. All is fixed.

cool, glad you fixed it.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Have you ever heard of a user dragging an attachment from a message in Mail.app causing problems?

I happened to get a call from the resident guru at my printer to check to see if the PDF files would be FTP'd today and mentioned that my one computer was whacked. He immediately asked if an attachment had been drug to the desktop like it's a common knowledge problem.

Some people amaze me, like yourself, who know so much. I try to learn as much as I can, but have to many hats to wear at work (IT Guy, Acct. Exec., Advertising Manager, Delivery Guy, HR Manager, Customer Service Rep.) to keep up on everything. That why it's nice to know there are knowledgeable people at AI.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Have you ever heard of a user dragging an attachment from a message in Mail.app causing problems?

I happened to get a call from the resident guru at my printer to check to see if the PDF files would be FTP'd today and mentioned that my one computer was whacked. He immediately asked if an attachment had been drug to the desktop like it's a common knowledge problem.

Some people amaze me, like yourself, who know so much. I try to learn as much as I can, but have to many hats to wear at work (IT Guy, Acct. Exec., Advertising Manager, Delivery Guy, HR Manager, Customer Service Rep.) to keep up on everything. That why it's nice to know there are knowledgeable people at AI.

Yes, I have heard of problems like that before, but it was a while ago and to be honest it hadn't occured to me. This will serve as a helpful re-inforcment learning exercise I was going to suggest moving the prefs file to see if that helped.

Don't know about you, but I've been using macs since I was 13 in 1993. (System 7...)

To be honest, I think right now I know a little too much about OS X and Macs in relation to what I know about the subject I'm doing my PhD in But having said that, I think I know nothing relative to some of the stuff I've seen at macosxhints and osxfaq.

I use appleinsider, xlr8yourmac, macosxhints and a couple of others to keep up-to-date.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Yes, I have heard of problems like that before

Oh, just an additional note. I don't think it was that the attachments were dragged from mail that caused the problem per se. Corrupted files on the desktop can cause the Finder to crash, because the Finder launches a thread for each item on the desktop (I don't know why). Presumably, if one of the items is corrupted, the thread creation goes wrong and the Finder crashes.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Don't know about you, but I've been using macs since I was 13 in 1993. (System 7...)

I played around on my friend's Macintosh 128 in '84 until they upgraded to a 512k in '85. I also played around on my other friend's SE/30 until my family got its first Mac in 1990, a Macintosh LC running System 6. I remember when System 7 came out. The collapsable folders were so cool! My little brother threw the LC away a couple years ago. I could have killed him. That thing was perfect for playing Maelstrom!