Adobe Announces After Effects 7 - Not Universal

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe has announced and shipped After Effects 7. I immediately went to the System Requirements to see if Intel-Based Macs were supported, and they are not. How do these guys have the balls to stand on stage seven months ago and pledge their support for Intel-Based Macs, and then seven months later ship a new product that's PowerPC only, especially one that costs $700 and only sees an update every two years? Whether it will run in Rosetta or not I do not know, but After Effects definitely isn't an application you'd want to run in emulation, especially if you're getting paid by the hour. No wonder Steve seemed so pissy about Adobe while on stage at the Macworld Expo, and gave Quark a free plug.

Bastards.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Maybe Apple caught Adobe in speed with the earlier than expected release of the MacIntel's, and will they release a Universal Binaries version within a few months.

Or not.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Adobe has announced and shipped After Effects 7. I immediately went to the System Requirements to see if Intel-Based Macs were supported, and they are not. How do these guys have the balls to stand on stage seven months ago and pledge their support for Intel-Based Macs, and then seven months later ship a new product that's PowerPC only, especially one that costs $700 and only sees an update every two years?

They have to have a real Intel Mac to test on before releasing any Universal Binaries.

The DTKs aren't identical to real Intel Macs and the OS isn't the final one.

Hopefully the app is already in Xcode.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

They have to have a real Intel Mac to test on before releasing any Universal Binaries.

The DTKs aren't identical to real Intel Macs and the OS isn't the final one.

Hopefully the app is already in Xcode.

You are right, but I think this is a good reason to hold off shipping of AF till say, march or april.Pros paying good money expect compatibility with the latest hardware. and for gods sake, they havnt firmed up anything for Macintel, we all know that Appke wikk work eith them, just like they are working with other vendors but Adobe just doesnt get it...look for AF8 to intro support for Intel
  • Reply 4 of 33
    This is an official reaction from Adobe on this issue (AE7 in CreativeMac.com):

?Adobe is excited about Apple's move to the Intel platform. Adobe was one of the first companies that committed to develop software for the new platform, with future versions of Adobe Creative Suite supporting both PowerPC and 'MacTel' systems. Adobe is evaluating MacTel transition plans for its other Macintosh products, as they enter their next major revision cycles. AE will work under Rosetta. It is not universal yet. We fully intend to deliver a universal version but do not have a release date to disclose at this time.?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

This is an official reaction from Adobe on this issue (AE7 in CreativeMac.com):

?Adobe is excited about Apple's move to the Intel platform. Adobe was one of the first companies that committed to develop software for the new platform, with future versions of Adobe Creative Suite supporting both PowerPC and 'MacTel' systems. Adobe is evaluating MacTel transition plans for its other Macintosh products, as they enter their next major revision cycles. AE will work under Rosetta. It is not universal yet. We fully intend to deliver a universal version but do not have a release date to disclose at this time.?

What a ghey reaction.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Adobe is evaluating MacTel transition plans for its other Macintosh products, as they enter their next major revision cycles. AE will work under Rosetta. It is not universal yet. We fully intend to deliver a universal version but do not have a release date to disclose at this time.?[/I]

That means AE8.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Oh well...Apple will rake up sales of Motion and Aperture because Lightroom and AE won't be UB'ed in the next year or 2. Sorry Adobe, you snooze, you lose.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    I hope Apple adds 3D capabilities to Motion, or releases a higher end version that has 3D. Still, it's absolute nonsense for Adobe to talk about how committed they are to the Intel switch, and then ship a non-Intel product seven months later without so much of a 'Universal version coming soon!" post-it note. My guess is they haven't even started a Universal version yet, and it will end up being a $700 upgrade we have to buy two years from now. Hell, I bet Adobe didn't even order the Intel Developer kits from Apple last year.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Hell, I bet Adobe didn't even order the Intel Developer kits from Apple last year.

Various Adobe apps are in Xcode now, but perhaps they started working on AE7 before the Intel announcement (in whatever they use).
  • Reply 10 of 33
    This is just yet another way Adobe is taking a Sh*t on Apple. It started with not having a Premiere Pro and Encore version for Macs, which meant that none of the integration features for After Effects, Premiere, and Encore that were available for easy use on the PC are not available on a mac... Adobe seems to be pissed at Apple for making Final Cut Pro and Motion, which is sees as direct rivals for Premiere and After Effects... and is taking it out on their consumers instead.

Maybe if Adobe updated Premiere and After Effects with innovative features 3-4 years ago instead of waiting for Apple to come up with them and then stealing them from Apple, users wouldn't have given up on Premiere and jumped to FCP so fast. I use to use Premiere, but once FCP came out and blew it away, I switched, as everyone who has a brain would.

This is there own fault, and now they are just continuing to upset the Mac user consumers, some of them who have bought Adobe software for almost 2 decades now since Photoshop. And they continue to by having features in version 7 that are only available to PC users. If anyone went to any of the Adobe Presentations where they showed AE 6.5 and Premiere Pro off, they can tell you that when ever anyone brought up Mac, the Adobe people pretty much talked about the mac as though it was useless and inferior to a PC.

Adobe better watch it before Steve comes up with a replacement for Photoshop and Illustrator.

On a side note, I'm glad they finally fixed the motion stretch feature in After Effects. Adjusting the speed of any clip in After Effects always made video look like complete ass compared to FCP's and Avid's methods of time stretching. It took 7 versions to fix that major problem, Probably won't be until version 9 or 10 that they make it Universal.\
  • Reply 11 of 33
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    It's a damn shame that Adobe puts their PC versions first and foremost. I think Adobe could do some really great things with Mac OS X's Core Image, Core Video, and slick Cocoa interfaces, but they won't because everything they do is based around Windows XP capabilities, and then they port what they can to OS X. Adobe obviously hates competition, and if they have a competitor on a platform, they just give up making that product for said platform. I imagine they'd be thrilled if Apple and the Mac just died, so they could just make applications for Windows XP. Unlike Apple, Microsoft doesn't make a single product that competes with Adobe in any way.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Unlike Apple, Microsoft doesn't make a single product that competes with Adobe in any way.

*cough* Metro *cough*

That is probably the biggest threat that Adobe have ever seen.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

That means AE8.

I say that means no AE* for OSX but Adobe doesnt want to take the heat untill after CS is UBed...look, when they dropped the ball with Premerre, apple was ready to step in with FCP, which at that point was a fairly good replacement, the same will happen here, Apple has about 2 chances to version Motion before AE8 hits, if it gets too good, look for adobe to pick up its ball and go home, Video is nothing to them compared to the revinue from CS and the acrobat family.

I know this is a little off topic, but I think apple may be getting ready to launch a full-on assault on adobe via its own software and strategic partnerships...why else would steve give quark a free plug while giving a photoshop demo that was intentionaly embarrassing to Adobe
  • Reply 14 of 33
    I agree with what everyone is saying Adobe doesn't seem to care about the Mac community. But I really don't think Motion can fill AE's shoes anytime soon. Motion is a great app and it's really fast but AE just has a lot more tools that Motion. I mean we need motion tracking,2.5D,painting,and just the sheer amount a filters that come with AE are amazing.

Apple would do well to buy a company like Trapcode and make Particular, Shine, Starglow for Apple Motion only that would help.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by krisneph

I agree with what everyone is saying Adobe doesn't seem to care about the Mac community. But I really don't think Motion can fill AE's shoes anytime soon. Motion is a great app and it's really fast but AE just has a lot more tools that Motion. I mean we need motion tracking,2.5D,painting,and just the sheer amount a filters that come with AE are amazing.

Apple would do well to buy a company like Trapcode and make Particular, Shine, Starglow for Apple Motion only that would help.

Let not your heart be troubled....nab is not too far off...and Apple will undoubtedly be showing something there, likely not shipping till June, after WWDC, but they will show it...to build a buzz
  • Reply 16 of 33
    I hope so. I think I am going this year too. Final Cut Pro 6 will be awesome.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Asking Hardcore AE users to switch to Motion is like asking people who have been working in photoshop for over a decade to just switch to corel paint shop pro... it's not going to happen.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

*cough* Metro *cough*

That is probably the biggest threat that Adobe have ever seen.

Oh my. I did not know of this Metro that you speak. I looked in to it, and while it appears to be an attempt to replace PDF, like all Microsoft 'innovations' I don't understand it's purpose or market. Microsoft says, 'Metro will allow users to share, print and archive documents with greater fidelity"...huh? If that's the best they can explain it to users, then I don't think Adobe has anything to worry about, at least in the Print & Design world.

Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I...why else would steve give quark a free plug while giving a photoshop demo that was intentionaly embarrassing to Adobe

I'm guessing he had hoped to demo a Universal Application from Adobe, and they didn't have a single Universal Application ready after seven months, including an application they were going to release a week later (AE 7). I imagine Steve saying, "It's been seven months and you guys don't have a single application running natively on Intel Macs? Jesus, even Quark has something running, and it took them six years to move to OS X!"
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Adobe obviously hates competition, and if they have a competitor on a platform, they just give up making that product for said platform. I imagine they'd be thrilled if Apple and the Mac just died, so they could just make applications for Windows XP. Unlike Apple, Microsoft doesn't make a single product that competes with Adobe in any way.

Besides Metro, M$ is even building a 'genuine Photoshop killer' ? ! Acrylic is in beta now and is a direct competitor for PS on the Windows platform.

So, what's Adobe gonna do then ? Doing the same as they did with Apple and pull back competing app's ? No more Photoshop and Acrobat for Windows ! That 'll teach 'em !
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

If that's the best they can explain it to users, then I don't think Adobe has anything to worry about, at least in the Print & Design world.

A very large part of Adobe's income is Acrobat installation in the Enterprise market.