Maybeitso, i hope the names are:

Supermac

Awesomemac

Coolmac

All running OSX.8, LIGER!

And the new ipods...

IpoD RFS

GoDPoD

let's all hang out and slap eachothers ass' like football players, reveling in the glory that is MYSTERY!

Am i right?
  • Reply 62 of 74
    PowerBook Xi (X= OS X or eXtreme, i=Intel)
  • Reply 63 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by SoopaDrive

PowerBook Xi (X= OS X or eXtreme, i=Intel)

You're on to something there, I think you have something, good for you, the Xi is a fine idea.

I was reading a mail from someone who was at the keynote address, and they said that Steve Jobs was saying something to the effect "Power is done now."

Too bad, it is a good name, we loved it well.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    Pro Mac is too close to Prozac, Mac Pro sounds more familiar to me.

I think prefix Power is history with IBM chip. PPC, G4, G5 had some form of power in their names. I like how MacBook Pro sounds.

iMac is still iMac - even Intel inside, but it's not easy to guess what iBook will be. MacBook is too close too MB Pro, so maybe it remains as iBook and no Pro in it. I don't find iMacBook very good brand...
  • Reply 65 of 74
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Mac Pro isn't a bad guess now that the PB is officially a MacBook Pro. I'd say there is a damn good chance that will be what they call it.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    The Power Mac will change to the Mac Mac.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    What concerns me is that they are moving away from "Macintosh" to "Mac"...

• Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by svin

Since Apple now is leaving PowerPC processors and going Intel, what are they going to do with the names PowerMac and PowerBook?

The current names were launched with the shift from the motorola 68k CISC processors to PowerPC RISC processors.

With the new shift back to CISC, will Apple invent a new naming scheme?

Apple clearly likes simple lines of hardware, unlike apple's lineup before the "return of the Jedi Jobs".

Before it was the "i" line - and the "Power" line (iMac, iBook - PowerMac, PowerBook)

Now several things are happening.

1) the "Power" Book has changed to MacBook - "We want Mac in the name" "we're kinda done with 'Power'.

2) the iMac kept it's name because there is no "power" in it.

So we used to have the "i" line and the "Power" line. So will the iBook keep it's name or will we get two different lines where the iBook will become simply MacBook and the PowerMac become iMac Pro?

...iMac....|.....PowerMac

----------------

....iBook..|.....PowerBook

NEW:

...iMac...|..........?

----------------

........?....|.....MacBook Pro

Will it be this:

....iMac...|....iMac Pro

----------------

MacBook|.....MacBook Pro

or will it be this:

....iMac..|....Mac Pro

----------------

...iBook..|....MacBook Pro

time will tell...

Sincerely

Zab the Fab
  • Reply 69 of 74
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zab The Fab

So we used to have the "i" line and the "Power" line. So will the iBook keep it's name or will we get two different lines where the iBook will become simply MacBook and the PowerMac become iMac Pro?

It's not an equation. It's not like you have to break it down to make sense of it. It's a lot less complicated than that. They just removed Power from the names not only cause the PPC is gone, but because of intel. I think it would be disrespectful to keep the Power name scheme with the world knowing that it is tied to the PPC, and that Apple has universal binaries, and they could easily switch back in a flash if needed be. It would be like holding that over intels head which isn't the way to enter a working partnership/relationship. Either way, the Apple pro desktop, and/or Apple pro workstation isn't an iMac. Therefore it would never be an iMac pro. That is just silly.

And they haven't abandoned the Macintosh name . Mac is just an abbreviation. It's still a Macintosh if it's made by Apple, and runs the Mac OS IMO.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

It's not an equation. It's not like you have to break it down to make sense of it. It's a lot less complicated than that. They just removed Power from the names not only cause the PPC is gone, but because of intel. I think it would be disrespectful to keep the Power name scheme with the world knowing that it is tied to the PPC, and that Apple has universal binaries, and they could easily switch back in a flash if needed be. It would be like holding that over intels head which isn't the way to enter a working partnership/relationship. Either way, the Apple pro desktop, and/or Apple pro workstation isn't an iMac. Therefore it would never be an iMac pro. That is just silly.

And they haven't abandoned the Macintosh name . Mac is just an abbreviation. It's still a Macintosh if it's made by Apple, and runs the Mac OS IMO.

Since all I did was to show the possibilities for Apple to keep some logic in differenciating between their hardware lines (Which Apple obviously leans towards), I'm glad you gave us your view on which of the choices you feel they would choose.

I believe it will be:

iMac

iBook

MacBook Pro

Mac Pro

Time will tell....we should make bet's he he

Sincerely

Zab the Fab
  • Reply 71 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

What concerns me is that they are moving away from "Macintosh" to "Mac"...

I don't even know the last time Apple called their computers Macintosh... it's just been Mac since at least before the iMac.

Besides, Macintosh isn't even spelled correctly... the fruit is McIntosh
  • Reply 72 of 74
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

I don't even know the last time Apple called their computers Macintosh... it's just been Mac since at least before the iMac.

Apple called them Macintosh as recently as last year. Official documents refer to them as the Power Macintosh G5.

Quote:

Any longtime Mac user knows McIntosh Labs threatened to sue.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

I agree with T'hain Esh Kelch. I like to see the name Macintosh. It was chosen to spell the name that way back when the computer was named, due to a likely suit. I am glad to hear when they are called Macintosh, like the apple.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Interesting observance I have made recently...

Look at the banner ads popping up on the web for the new Apple/Intel branding...

Notice the black Apple logo, but no Apple text next to it, just a big Mac text...

Hmm... Next division to get spun off maybe?