Apple Works 79.99?!?!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
From the Apple Store Online, it lists Apple Works as 79.99. Who would pay for a decaying peice of software like that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    [Edit: Apple Works != iWorks]

• Reply 2 of 11
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

From the Apple Store Online, it lists Apple Works as 79.99. Who would pay for a decaying peice of software like that?

I have used AppleWorks since it was named ClarisWorks. It shows absolutely no signs of decay at all. In fact, it is as good today as it was the day that I installed it.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    My son, now 18, swears by it. Won't give it up. He uses it all of the time along with Photoshop. I can't imagine purchasing it but if you have it, yep, it still works fine.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

I have used AppleWorks since it was named ClarisWorks. It shows absolutely no signs of decay at all. In fact, it is as good today as it was the day that I installed it.

That's because it never changed, and in the computer world, never changing means staying behind, which, some people, may interpret as 'decay'.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

There's never been a problem with the feature set, but AppleWorks' interface badly needs an overhaul to be a good citizen of Aqua land.

Of course, that didn't make sense since the code is so old.

Therefore Apple did the logical thing and introduced half-a-replacement-suite designed around the needs of their company's CEO and people who need to design really, really cool-looking brochures.

Those of us who do real work for a living have been left to pay the Microsoft tax.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I'd take Appleworks 2006 edition over iWorks
  • Reply 7 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

I'd take Appleworks 2006 edition over iWorks

And as sad as it is, I would take OOo on linux over anything on OSX in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Anybody know why Apple decided not to include a spreadsheet for the latest version of iWork?

<tinfoil hat>

Did they do it to placate Microsoft?

</tinfoil hat>
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

Anybody know why Apple decided not to include a spreadsheet for the latest version of iWork?

<tinfoil hat>

Did they do it to placate Microsoft?

</tinfoil hat>

My theory:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...284#post868284
  • Reply 10 of 11
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

And as sad as it is, I would take OOo on linux over anything on OSX in a heartbeat.

And you'll need to since we won't have OO.org for a while. All I worry about is making the odd spreadsheet, time to dust off AppleWorks haha.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I like Appleworks, for it opens instantaneously. I use it probably daily even with iWork and Office installed.