Final Cut Studio Universal apps won't be sold separately

Comments

• Reply 22 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

They'll probably fold the whole kit and kaboodle into one app, calling it either MacMovie Pro, or MovieStudio Pro, or DirectorsCut Pro, and offer it for $999.00... or free with the purchase of every MacMac Quad.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, SpamSandwich. A dramatic price cut for the whole suite to $999 (jeez, that's what DVD Studio Pro 1.0 cost alone!). To compete with Adobe. (Wasn't TS saying recently that FCP would have a high-priced Extreme edition to compete with Avid?)

Does this foretell a price cut for Aperture, too? And now that Adobe is fighting back with Lightroom, will this give Apple an excuse to come up with a photo editor (like Photoshop or PS Elements) to compete with Adobe?

This should be an interesting year! Forget the Intel hardware--the software and Apple/Adobe/Microsoft politics is interesting in itself.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    I don't understand. If they're pimping this 'Final Cut Pro Universal' available in March, does that mean there's no new Final Cut Pro coming at NAB in April? Does the 'Final Cut Pro Universal' have any changes other than being a Universal Binary? Why would they convince everyone to spend $49 on this Universal version in late March if they want to sell you Final Cut Studio '06 in April? I'm so confused...
  • Reply 24 of 88
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

]

A dramatic price cut for the whole suite to $999

OK....if this is true I take back what I said earlier. This would be great.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

I don't understand. If they're pimping this 'Final Cut Pro Universal' available in March, does that mean there's no new Final Cut Pro coming at NAB in April? Does the 'Final Cut Pro Universal' have any changes other than being a Universal Binary? Why would they convince everyone to spend $49 on this Universal version in late March if they want to sell you Final Cut Studio '06 in April? I'm so confused...

Yeah, Cory, it is confusing. Actually, it makes no sense at all! Maybe Apple will announce some really cool upgrades at NAB, but they won't ship 'til later in the year?

That's the only scenario that makes sense to me. (Other than, well, Apple wants you to pay $49 plus the inevitable upgrade fee in April.)
  • Reply 26 of 88
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    If this is an option for Canadians then I'll just buy soundtrack pro right now and upgrade to the full studio for next to nothing in a few months!
  • Reply 27 of 88
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Yeah, Cory, it is confusing. Actually, it makes no sense at all! Maybe Apple will announce some really cool upgrades at NAB, but they won't ship 'til later in the year?

That's the only scenario that makes sense to me. (Other than, well, Apple wants you to pay $49 plus the inevitable upgrade fee in April.)

OR the $49 option willbe for those who dont want to upgrade, but want compatibility with Macbook, while a new version ships that day...combine that with a price cut and check this out:

FCP 6

*optimized for intel macs

*more real-time features

*some other cool stuff

Motion

*3-d

DVDSP

*some new stuff, I dont really know what DVDSP lacks

Soundtrack pro

*more cool stuff and a version number

$999

add a high end server based project and asset manager (picture Adobe Bridge for FCS on the server side, managing entire libararies of footage stored on xserve raids)

add change-trackable projects (like word documents where you can see exactly what the last user changed) and real time colaboration.

add an app specificly for adding components (nameplates, instant replay, telestrator and the like) to live SD and HD feeds

$2999, Finalcut Extream
  • Reply 28 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

If this is an option for Canadians then I'll just buy soundtrack pro right now and upgrade to the full studio for next to nothing in a few months!

That's the thing. They're not individually for sale anymore.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

OR the $49 option willbe for those who dont want to upgrade, but want compatibility with Macbook, while a new version ships that day...combine that with a price cut and check this out:

DVDSP

*some new stuff, I dont really know what DVDSP lacks

$2999, Finalcut Extream

That $49 option would make sense if it shipped on or after NAB (isn't that in April?) but Apple is saying the universal binary will ship in March. So if FCP 6 isn't announced yet, some people will pay the $49 (not knowing for sure if FCP 6 is coming) and then pay to upgrade again in April. That's what's so annoying about this scenario.

re: DVD SP. The big thing this year will be HD-DVD and BluRay compatibility. I don't think DVD SP 4 does any kind of HD-DVD scripting, and it doesn't have any BluRay compatibility at all. So version 5 should be one of the more desirable upgrades.

re: Final Cut Extreme. DIdn't TS say it would be $9999?
  • Reply 30 of 88
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

That $49 option would make sense if it shipped on or after NAB (isn't that in April?) but Apple is saying the universal binary will ship in March. So if FCP 6 isn't announced yet, some people will pay the $49 (not knowing for sure if FCP 6 is coming) and then pay to upgrade again in April. That's what's so annoying about this scenario.

The same people who will buy these units for pro work right now are suckers. Apple will make their noney off of them.

If I am a real pro, I am waiting for the new mac tower and 3 months or so of real world vetting of the pro apps I use.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

The same people who will buy these units for pro work right now are suckers. Apple will make their noney off of them.

If I am a real pro, I am waiting for the new mac tower and 3 months or so of real world vetting of the pro apps I use.

True, but version 6 will be a universal binary. It won't be Intel-only. Nothing says a pro won't have it running on a non-mission critical machine (PowerPC) while vetting it.
  • Reply 32 of 88
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    So Apple is planning to give current FC owners the ability to switch to Universal without upgrading to 6. You can wait for 6, if you wish and you don't currently need Intel support and you plan on upgrading anyway. That will involve a minority of people until the PowerMac switches. On the other hand, if you own one of the separate apps, you can upgrade to the current studio version in universal format for a good price, but you will have to pay for the upgrade to 6 a month or so later.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    How much is the upgrade for new versions of Studio? I can't find it listed on Apple's site.

Edit:

I found out the Final Cut to Studio upgrade was $699. Now it's $99. I see why everyone is complaining about upgrading recently. Last year's Studio upgrade was $499.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    Quote:

In February, Apple will begin taking orders for a universal version of Final Cut Studio called "Final Cut Studio Universal," which will ship in March for $1299. The company also appears that it will continue to market a PowerPC-only version of the suite under the name "Final Cut Studio 1.1.

Why in the world would they keep a PPC version alongside the universal version ???

• Reply 35 of 88
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by french macuser

Why in the world would they keep a PPC version alongside the universal version ???

A universal binary runs on both platforms. Once you've got the UB you automagically have support for Both PPC and Intel. All handled in Xcode with a little code tweak love.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

A universal binary runs on both platforms. Once you've got the UB you automagically have support for Both PPC and Intel. All handled in Xcode with a little code tweak love.

Yeah, but FrenchMacuser asked:

> Why in the world would they keep a PPC version alongside the universal version ???

It's a good question. Maybe the answer is the FCSuite Universal will have a few more features than FCSuite 1.1/PowerPC???
  • Reply 37 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaine_Michael

I still think we're going to see Apple release "ProBand" sometime in the near future. I think it'll be alot like a mix of the audio features of soundtrack pro with the software instruments/midi integration of garageband. I believe they will keep Logic as their high end app, but this will pacify all of us who want a more apple like, beefed up "pro" version of GarageBand.

They already have a pro music app, it's Logic.

STP is their audio post app, it's disturbing to see it not available separately. Such a move makes it a niche add on product for video folks. And kills any hope of it someday becoming an app that competes with the likes of Pro Tools.
  • Reply 38 of 88
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Yeah, but FrenchMacuser asked:

> Why in the world would they keep a PPC version alongside the universal version ???

It's a good question. Maybe the answer is the FCSuite Universal will have a few more features than FCSuite 1.1/PowerPC???

Oops my apologies. Good point. Will UB only support a limited amount of PPC Macs or something?
  • Reply 39 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Oops my apologies. Good point. Will UB only support a limited amount of PPC Macs or something?

The support shouldn't be any different than it is now.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    Quote:

That's the thing. They're not individually for sale anymore.

They are not for resell by APPLE right now.

However, other businesses that sold them such as CompUSA are still selling them until their stock runs out.

I went down to my local CompUSA yesterday to get Motion 2.0.

Hell...I dont even have my Mac yet but I will be getting one in the next month or two and was planning on getting Final cut Studio for use in my media portfolio class.

Now if everything works out Ill be able to save $700.00 off of final cut studio. Thats close to the education price....but it will be elligible for upgrades in the future.

If anyone has been considering getting Final cut studio sometime in the future...they should seriously consider trying to aquire one of these individual pieces of software so that they can upgrade to FCS for less later on.