Someone explain this to me...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    What about that 10 inch widescreen Macbook Pro Mini? using an ULV Core Solo? Sony's mini widescreen book sells very well apparently.....
  • Reply 22 of 39
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    something i have not understood for a long while is why apple doesnt see fit to produce a true ultraportable... like a 10 inch noted above. sony has a kick ass little computer you can throw in a small bag and roam. wouldnt this be a big seller in markets like japan too?

i guess people say whats the difference between that and a 12 inch. i guess, but for some reason i would be happier with one a bit smaller for just daily , no need for extreme power, needs
  • Reply 23 of 39
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macfly

something i have not understood for a long while is why apple doesnt see fit to produce a true ultraportable...

My guess is because it doesn't fit into their product line-up. They would have a hard time figuring out how to sell what is essentially less of a machine for more money. In fact, it would pretty much be the ill-fated Cube of the notebook line-up. And I bet sales figures in the U.S. would be equal with Cube sales, also. Might sell great in Japan, but Apple doesn't seem to be interested in producing products for specific countries, unless that country is the United States.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    The Mac ultra portable has been discussed at length elesewhere on AI and personally I think it would be a real hit. But then, I live in Japan and saw 20 plus sub-notebooks on a train yesterday, being put to use by businessmen who can't carry even a 12" PB in their already over-stuffed bags. I was having difficulty keeeping my 15" on the small table in front of me while they were typing away.

The MaBook Pro line is bound to be expanded. I truly doubt Apple would produce one model and then discontinue the line, unless it simply didn't sell, but it woud still likely go through at least one revision to try to boost sales.

When will we see new MBPs? Apple knows, but we won't until they are literally on the shelves. If you like what you see now, get it. If you don't, wait. Most people who have ever bought a computer have at least once thought, "Man, I should've waited." You could potentially wait forever.

Hopefully, the next models will be smaller. 17" monsters are interesting, but just not practical IMO. If you want 17, buy an iMac and keep the box to use to carry it around.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

No, I don't see that 12" MacBook Pro happening. I see it in the dustheap of history for Apple. It will be the 13" MacBook that bridges the gap in the product line on the low-end.

And while we're talking about what's next, I think we'll see some more new products around March. Steve left a nice opening for a special announcement. Why? Well when they announce that the Intel version of their pro apps are ready, we perhaps will see the 17-inch MacBook Pro.

it could be reason they did not update 12" for long time, it is the prettiest PB in the entire line... let us wait and see what will happen to 12"...
  • Reply 26 of 39
    That's my dilemma also. I want to get a MacBook Pro, but I'm worried that Apple will release a smaller slimmet one a month or so later, which is better for me.

I want a Pro, but in a non-Pro size, I guess.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    I think Apple will put a product in the 12" PowerBook price range, and if the iBook goes 13" 1280x800 or whatever then the baby MacBook Pro will too. And then it'll actually be usable for professional apps, which the current 1024x768 is not. It'll be thinner than today's 12" PowerBook, but I just don't think Apple will make an ultra-portable, because there isn't a global market for it. Americans can't fathom paying more for less, and more expensive should mean bigger and faster. People like tiny notebooks but their response is, "hey that's cool...why does it cost so much?" and then walk away. Sales numbers for such a laptop would be much much lower than a full-featured small MacBook Pro that's in line with Apple's other offerings in price and performance.

Regarding what to buy and when: If you need a computer now, and you're satisfied with the feature set currently offered by a product, then you won't be disappointed when Apple updates products. But if you buy something that doesn't fully meet your needs or satisfy you, then you'll be furious when they release something that does. I bought a 20" iMac G5 last spring after they made the graphics card not suck and lowered the price, because I had no more issues with it. And because of that, the Front Row/remote update last Fall and the Intel revision now doesn't really bother me. Yes they've gotten better, but what I bought had everything I expected for the price.

blackbird_1.0, I think you should wait until Apple fills out their MacBook Pro line.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

blackbird_1.0, I think you should wait until Apple fills out their MacBook Pro line.

OK. Thanks. 8)
  • Reply 29 of 39
    I don't think that Apple will to with the MacBook replacements for the 17" and 12" PBs until the iBook and Mac mini replacements are out. That's April by most guesses.

April is close enough to WWDC to move the 17" to Meron, which should be delivered in 4 to 6 weeks after the Keynote. I think Apple would really like to have a 64 bit Intel in the 17" - with the 15" following at MWSF 2007.

The 12" PB is another question as there are Yonah chips that would work very well in it and I expect it to have some major design changes, just like the iBook/MacBook.

Then there is the 3 pounder. It might replace the 12" or be a new product. I used a X-Series IBM ThinkPad for a while on business travel and it was a great size. The optical drive was external, but that wasn't a problem. Apple might even allow a swap of the optical drive with a blank (for light weight) or a second internal battery for VERY long battery life. (Actually I wouldn't mind seeing swappable optical drive for batteries in all MacBook Pros.)
  • Reply 30 of 39
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRbetterthanPC

so no new chips are gonna be in macbook pro's this year, atleast in the brand new 15 inch....forgive my insanity. this is gonna be my first mac, thank GOD!...and im a college student with not the best expenses, so i dont want to drop 2000+ if something better is coming out this year.plus im just like that with tech stuff.

Make sure you get the student discount. And anyways, I have a personal rule to not buy revision A hardware. Wait until the 15's are updated, which total speculation will tell you they will be updated when the 12 and 17's are added to the line. Plus it gives them to work out the flaws and bugs that come with this kind of thing, hardware-wise.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    My contacts are saying two things:

1. The Macbook Pro line will be completed sooner than we think.

2. Apple will make the smallest book smaller, probably 10.5", and the largest book larger, going for a great 18" slab of widescreen goodness.

There was talk of a 20" "portable desktop" Mac, but Jobs killed the model, probably because it would have cannabilized iMac sales.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

My contacts are saying two things:

1. The Macbook Pro line will be completed sooner than we think.

2. Apple will make the smallest book smaller, probably 10.5", and the largest book larger, going for a great 18" slab of widescreen goodness.

There was talk of a 20" "portable desktop" Mac, but Jobs killed the model, probably because it would have cannabilized iMac sales.

Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't your "contacts" been extremely wrong in the past?
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Not these ones.

Yeah I've had some unreliable contacts in the past, but mostly they were just guys I met at bars. I think they just wanted to get in my pants.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

i think it would have been the other way around.

and i don't think you make friends in the coffeebar or during airtravels with such a behemoth in your lap
  • Reply 35 of 39
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

i think it would have been the other way around.

and i don't think you make friends in the coffeebar or during airtravels with such a behemoth in your lap

Well, I have to disagree there. The behemoth in my lap seems to make me a lot of friends,
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Well, I have to disagree there. The behemoth in my lap seems to make me a lot of friends,

Heh, you beat me to it.

I think an 18" laptop would be very popular, if it were reasonably light and had a decent battery life. I'd buy one for sure. It's perfect for someone who needs a portable desktop rather than something for presentations or for busting out at cafes.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    you guys are so predictable
  • Reply 38 of 39
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    17" is about as large a laptop i would be prepared to lug around. Any larger is just pointless IMHO.

15" is the ideal size i reckon.

smaller ones? i guess so, but only if they are coupled with exceptional battery life.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Me, I'd like to see a tablet.

Kinda niche at the moment but I see a lot of macs in doctors offices. I also see a lot of them going toward PC based tablets.

I have a Motion Computing tablet. For somethings its good. For others I wish I had gotten the Toshiba (namely for the higher resolution display and better vid card).

Vinea