eMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is the eMac being sold still? I know that after Oct 05, it was available to educ customers only. But I just searched the educ site, using my school's name, and there are no references. A friend of mine teaches at a different school, and he is curious about the future of the eMac. I have heard no references to it at all in the recent spate of rumors around the different Mac flavors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    iMac is the new eMac

eMac - EOL.

School may consider Mac Mini instead of iMac ...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It's still available on my edu store, but only the institutional store, not the store for individuals.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gruthgruth Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

It's still available on my edu store, but only the institutional store, not the store for individuals.

This is interesting. I hadn't thought that there would be a distinction, but this makes perfect sense.

So, does anyone have any information on the computer's future?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I was dead set on an eMac until a month ago. I received a gift card at CompUSA for my bday and put off using it for a few moths and when I was ready to purchase, went to their website only to find it unavailable. I called Apple to see if they had any and all they had were refurbs. I then looked on ebay for any available and found a dealer selling the G5 for 1074 bucks after a rebate he offered. Before it was delivered, he offered the new Intel at his price w/o a rebate to existing orders. I t sounded like he would be offering the new computer at the rebate price soon. You can probably find an eMac somewhere on the web but unless you have a special need for an eMac, get the Intel iMac--it's worth the extra price and has the chip everything will run on from now on. Here's the guy's ebay link--store name is Crusin' Fun. Don't be enticed by the auction style numbers--he repeatedly offers multiple listings. Shipping is slow so if you're in a hurry look elsewhere. Patience could get you a good price though

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
  • Reply 5 of 6
    sorry--wrong link. here's the good one

http://stores.ebay.com/Cruisin-Fun
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I really think that a new version of the eMac should be released, having a cheap Mac for schools is a great idea!!

Specs:

it could be something like a smaller iMac... 15" screen

Intel Core Solo 1.5GHz Processor with 2MB L2 Cache

512MB DDR2 Memory (MAX 2GB)

60GB 5400rpm Hard Drive (Perhaps 40GB)

Intel GMA950 Graphics Chipset wth 64MB Shared VRAM

Slot-loading Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Intergrated modem

Ethernet (10/100 Mbps)

(Maybe...)

Built-in Airport Extreme with Bluetooth 2.0

Built-in iSight camera

I really hope that a new generation of children can have a cool Mac to play with in school!!