Whats you speculation on what the updated mac mini spec would be?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Gigabit LAN is pennies more for the PHY. The modem can be covered by people with the USB modem that Apple sells. Integrated graphics are the standard for PC computers at this pricing level Mac mini buyers have been spoiled with the dedicated graphics.

I agree on Gigabit LAN.

Modem - still think it will be included, mac mini suppose to be no add-on machine for some normal user.

my question, do integrated graphics support DVI?

apple pushing mini and Cinema Display
  • Reply 22 of 101
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Only the low end mini has modem as standard.
  • Reply 23 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Only the low end mini has modem as standard.

oops,i missed out on that.

what ever it is hope mac mini does not turn out to be another "Dull little boxes"
  • Reply 24 of 101
    when i checked the price X300 SE 128 MB (PCI Express) it was merely s$ 90 = $50 retailing...

i guess when APPLE orders big quantities it will be much cheaper, i strongly believe they will go with some graphic card whatever it may be
  • Reply 25 of 101
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

if as some of you have said in other posts, the mini seems to become the heart of the digital living room, so what are the needs of this type unit,....will it need the power for video editing, conversion, what kind of power does a dvr need ??? i think to evaluate the future of the mini you must address what's it suppose to do?? it doen't need to be a transition model for windows users does it??? so maybe there will be several models, basic for basic and move on up to media center.

I like the thinking in the end of this post the best of what I've read so far.

April could see several models of the MacMini, and a new Model for the Apple home media center.

There should be an "INEXPENSIVE" transition box for Windows users, (plus it will have to have enough gut's to run XP as well) Which would be a core solo machine. That would also match what DELL, HP, and others are going to be offering for $499.00, and $599.00.

I like these specs below. I think Apple could do multiple MacMini configurations just for transition boxes, and those who don't need all the glitz of the iMac. Being that Apple wont be blocking out the use of windows there should be a much larger market for various sizes. Start including the good that has come from iPod sales, and there could be a huge market for these. Especially the higher Core Duo version. I don't think windows people will feel as discouraged of trying a Mac as a computer being that running windows shouldn't be a problem. This really is a switchers dream machine with the price, and specs matching those of a basic no frills consumer level PC.

Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

1.6 Ghz Core Solo

40 GB SATA 7200 RPM (is there one?)

ComboDrive

Integrated Graphic Card (?)

$499

1.6 Ghz Core Solo

SuperDrive

$599

1.6Ghz Core Duo

80 GB SATA 7200 RPM

Super Drive

128 MB X?00 ATI Card here

$699

more reasonable?

Specs on a media center I'm not going to contemplate. I think if Apple launches a media center it will be in a new box, and not a mini. They wont use a machine that already has been there to launch something that needs to gather a whole lot of attention. New Apple product designs get 10's of millions in free advertising. I doubt they'll let that fly away from them, plus they need Mac users to be just as excited to generate quadruple the amount of buzz for it, and they still need our sales too.

• Reply 26 of 101
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    The media centre should be separate and not a mini. He's my idea:

1.67 Ghz Core Solo

40 GB Serial ATA 5400 RPM (BTO 60GB HD)

512MB RAM (expandable to 1GB)

SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

64MB ATI Graphics (maybe 128, or BTO 128MB)

$499

1.83Ghz Core Duo (maybe just maybe 2ghz single)

80 GB Serial ATA 5400 RPM (BTO 7200RPM)

512MB RAM (expandable to 1GB)

Super Drive (DL DVD±RW/CD-RW)

128MB ATI Graphics

$699

No mac should have integrated graphics.

Every mac should burn DVD's by now but my 1.83 model has Dual Layer.

No need for 3 models just a HIGH end and a LOW end. Low end for switchers, high end for people that like regular computing but don't need the dual core power or screen of an imac.

I think macs should be luxury computers and shouldn't even think of themselves as that grey box crap. No need for a crazy dirt cheap machine like other companies put out. All should be quality and people should be made to see that for a slightly higher price they get a real quality machine.

And hell! Bring your old keyboard and mouse if you want!
  • Reply 27 of 101
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    i agree that the media centre should be a different form - typically one which fits in alongside the shape and size of your average home theatre device like a DVD player or a surround sound amp.
  • Reply 28 of 101
    Quote:

1.6 Ghz Core Solo

ComboDrive

$499

1.6 Ghz Core Solo

SuperDrive

$599

1.6Ghz Core Duo

80 GB SATA 7200 RPM

Super Drive

128 MB X?00 ATI Card here

$699

more reasonable?

common for all mac mini

512MB DDR2 667Mhz

Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, Modem, 10/100 LAN

Two USB 2.0, One FireWire

Front Row with Apple Remote

iLife 06

Tiger OS X

I like this, except the integrated graphics, the current Mac Minis have a graphics card, I think the new ones will too. The appearance of the present Mini is appealing, so like the iMac, I think it will be the same.

On the higher end, that is reasonable. A better switcher's Mac.

I have a G5, and an iMac coming. I wish I had a good reason to get a Mac Mini, as I have always liked it since it came out, but one cannot spend everywhere.
  • Reply 29 of 101
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmos 1999

Radeon X300 is a pretty old ATI solution. While Apple often integrated uncompetitive ancient graphic cards in their computers (GeForce 5200 for example), now with Intel the times are changing:

- Apple compete directly with the PC world, they cannot put bad cards anymore,

- graphic interface in Mac Intel is PCI-express and not AGP anymore, this implies only modern GPUs.

So it seems Apple finally get modern cards (cf. Radeon X1600 128/256MB in iMac and MacBook Pro).

Considering Intel integraded "Graphics Media Accelerator", it is here in iMac Core Duo and MacBook Pro as GMA950, but not used thanks to the ATI X1600.

GMA950 is included in the i945GM chipset, consisting of the 82945GM northbridge and the 82801GBM southbridge more known as the ICH7-M (which has an Infineon Trust Platform Module). Why Apple didn't use the cheaper i945PM chipset (identical but sans GMA950) is beyond me.

GMA950 is DX9 compatible, implying it support Smart Shaders 2.x thus Core Image. But it is not a perfect solution because while pixel shaders 2.0 are supported in hardware, vertex shaders 3.0 code is software emulated.

GMA950 only in MacBook would be IMHO a step backwards compared to the current Radeon 9550 in iBook, fully Core Image compatible.

So I may be wrong but I bet MacBook will have a 945GM express chipset with GMA950, plus an ATI Radeon X1300 128 MB.

good post from MacBook (iBook) Predictions thread
  • Reply 30 of 101
    do not know, whether 7200 RPM 3.5" Hard drive will fit into mac mini

current ones has 5400 RPM 2.5" HDD am i rite?

also possiblity 64 MB VRAM in low end models
  • Reply 31 of 101
    Quote:

do not know, whether 7200 RPM 3.5" Hard drive will fit into mac mini

current ones has 5400 RPM 2.5" HDD am i rite?

also possiblity 64 MB VRAM in low end models

Good point, and they keep costs down, but I would think technology has improved since the first mini, and drives of that size can hopefully achieve 7500 RPM by now. They may cost more which could put them into the higher end version if that is so.
  • Reply 32 of 101
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what's in a top line tivo box what kind of processor. i think the mini can be many things. it has to be the most elegant and gorgeous design of anything out there especially for the living room. such a nice form factor. with the apple glow and aura of the ipod. if you wanted a combo unit that included wireless internet, connected to your tv(wireless keyboard), dvr for remote viewing, front row. it doesnt need much processor, maybe lots of ram and a large HD

look at front row, isn't it the best interface. i'd be proud to have that on my 56" dlp tv, and get rid of my cable dvr.

what do consumers need to intergrate all tunes, video, photos etc. mac mini is it in spades basically if you take the low end mac mini even with a g4 add front row, BT, dvi out and airport and bump up the hd, hey that would work great--you could integrate your cable box make like a tivo and you could order your tunes, video's from your couch. many pimped cars use the mini just as we have said. if it's not going to do video conversion etc (that takes a lot of oooph then simple works very well)

how about a wireless router with a large hardrive, mini osx and front row loaded . it would be invisible (my wife likes not to see all the boxes)--you would stream from your router not you computer....cooooooness

I can also understand apple wanting a different form factor for their attack on the living room. but it's hard to see it maybe thiner. or maybe a docking station to put your macbook 13 widescreen----now that would be elegant

remember the living room is the place apple can really set the world on fire (huge huge growth potential all other pc stuff isn't growing)....listen to steve he said in a ecent interview that the pc model...independant pc makers, separate software makers, all these can't give you the integrated simple experience that apple can. apple controls the hardware, software, user interface, and source of entertainment. no other single manufactuer can pull it all together sooooo seemlessly. apple's business/entertainment model (e.g. itunes,ipod) is the best out there....and consumers as well as hardware makers know it. no other manufacturer does it all... that model doensnt work as per steve.
  • Reply 33 of 101
    You lost me with the about the last twenty words NOFEER. I can't seem to get a grip on your intended meaning to all that. It sounds like your saying only Apple does it, and has proven to do it successfully, but Steve says the model doesn't work. It appears contradictory to me.
  • Reply 34 of 101
    I think Apple will just say, "fuck it, those Mac users will buy whatever we make anyways!" and slap a Celeron in the Mini.
  • Reply 35 of 101
    dunt think so ... remember they upgraded 512 MB when 256 MB mac mini hard to find moving ...

consumers are more smart nowadays ever since the days of www everything can found and compared easily now!

putting Celeron in Mac Mini a BIG STEP backward...
  • Reply 36 of 101
    JD must be kidding
  • Reply 37 of 101
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

JD must be kidding

Nah, you get cranky when your neck hurts...
  • Reply 38 of 101
    Are you the AppleOutsider? If you have insider information, please look and see when the new Mac Mini's will be coming out(and tell me, isn't that a reasonable request? )

I love the look of the Mini. All PowerMacs, here, except I ordered a new intel iMac. I have this hankering to get one of those Minis, though. For office use it can be justified.
  • Reply 39 of 101
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

Are you the AppleOutsider? If you have insider information, please look and see when the new Mac Mini's will be coming out(and tell me, isn't that a reasonable request? )

I love the look of the Mini. All PowerMacs, here, except I ordered a new intel iMac. I have this hankering to get one of those Minis, though. For office use it can be justified.

For $500 you can't go wrong. But I would wait just a wee bit.... Sooner rather than later they will be Intel-lisized.
  • Reply 40 of 101
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    I posted some stuff on this when Temp Insanity was up. My specs were a bit overblown, but I think Apple could release a three tier version of the mini.

Mac mini remains a simple entry level machine. 1.67 Core solo. Weak graphics (but not integrated). $499.

My idea was to build a new model called the Mac mini HomeBase [(TM) ]. Like I said, I think my earlier ideas for specs were overblown (2.0Ghz Core Duo, video in, plus a larger form factor for up to 2GB ram and 3.5" drives for $599) But I think they could pull off a 1.83 Core Duo for $699. I also speculated that Apple would build on the iPod brand by releasing a model with a built in iPod dock for $50 more: the iPod HomeBase (not Mac mini HomeBase).

The only real drawback to this mini as media center concept is that media centers use huge amounts of HDD space. But Apple uses the exact wrong HDD for that. I still don't understand why Apple uses a 2.5" HD in the mini. This is supposed to be a low-cost machine. If that's true, why force the machine to take the higher cost, slower, and lower capacity HDs that portables use? No one has been able to explain this to me satisfactorily. If they go with the larger HD, they may have to change/enlarge the form factor slightly. So what? If they do that, it might even create enough space for a second Ram slot. That's not a bad thing. It's a great thing! Apple could up the top Ram spec to 2GB and offer 160GB HDDs for the same price as the 40GB drives used today. Moreover, uses could BTO them to 500GB (more $ for Apple).

Can someone explain?

The real sticking point for a media center is the software. Front Row is fine for what it is, but Apple needs to get Videos out of iTunes and create a separate app that can be an importer/organizer/exporter for videos. The DB is more complicated (movie, TV Show, music video, home video, movie trailer, etc...; movie title, TV show name, season, episode number, air date, etc...; and if you want to get really complicated (but really useful), directed by, starring, producer, writer, etc...). It should play DV, mpeg-2 (inc .vob files), MP4s, DVDs (inc Video TS folders), VCDs, and (when they come out) HD-DVDs and BRDs and whatever files you can get from the MMC system. It should have playlists that can be sent to iDVD (or whatever its new name will be after BluRay and HD-DVD go prime time) and to iPods, and it should interact seamlessly with other iLife apps. If we got really deep into fantasyland, we could imagine it also being able to stream videos to your AirPort Express AV.

When this happens, whether or not Apple calls it a home media center, we'll have one. (More specifically, I'll have one. )