Isn't it time for an iPhone already?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
We've been hearing about the "iPod-killer" for ages, and nothing happened, the iPod remains king, but for how long?

It's quite clear to me, that the menace won't come from other manufacturer's mp3 players, but, and i hate to agree with Bill Gates here, from cellphones.

It already ocurred to me. I was about to buy the new 5G iPod this Christmas. At the same time, needed to replace my old cellphone. Well, after taking a close and detailed look at what the cellphone market nowadays offers, i'm not going to buy the iPod at all. My money is going to Sony. Yes, Im an avid and devoted Mac user since 1989.

You're right, not any single cellphone will take your whole music library with you (30-60GB), but how often do you need that? take the flash card (512MB-4GB) out of the phone, plug it to the Powerbook and transfer new tunes/playlists. It will take just a few seconds, not more than 3 minutes for a whole 4GB card full of music.

There's already a dozen or more cellphones that can completely replace the ipod as mp3/podcast/video player, and they also take notes, play better games, make really GOOD photos (2Mpx) and videos, and what not. One single device. One single battery and A/C adapter to take care of.

Need for GBs of songs, or videos? i have the Powerbook.

Need for top notch photos? i have the canon D20.

for everything else, the cellphone ALWAYS in the pocket.

What is Apple waiting to release an iPhone in the category of the Sony k750/W800/W810? (my new cellphone AND "iPod-killer"). They are losing money.

Mine, for instance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Cell phones and MP3 players can be mixed together. Keyword: CAN. But they offer differnt functionality and it is best to keep them seperate. I never plan on having a cell phone that replaces my iPod. A cell phone is first and foremost a communication device, and an iPod is first and foremost a Music Player. All of this mixing things into one thing is just crap.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Cell phones and MP3 players can be mixed together. Keyword: CAN. But they offer differnt functionality and it is best to keep them seperate. I never plan on having a cell phone that replaces my iPod. A cell phone is first and foremost a communication device, and an iPod is first and foremost a Music Player. All of this mixing things into one thing is just crap.

that's a valid point.

almost the same one steve jobs kept saying for years. one simple device. one simple function. i think woz is of the same opinion.

now look at what current ipods do. what's more, video is going to drive ipod's inmediate future, not music.

i dont know in the states, but in europe cellphones playing mp3s are getting HUGE. just like it happened ages ago with smsing and then with snap/photo shooting. the cellphone industry is driving the electronics world. it's not the PCs anymore. mobiles keep adding and adding features, trumping every other device out there, pdas, simple cameras, etc.

in asia that's even more crazy: internet, tv, gps. all onboard.

apple doesnt need to replace completely the ipod, just should jump into the wagon imo, before it's too late.

and btw, im not the only one ditching the ipod in favour of a better cellphone. i know plenty, and this is just starting out.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    With all the cell phone companies throwing MP3 playing capability into thier phones... I feel that Apple has to respond and do what they do best. Great design, great interface and take everything to the next level. How they will do this?, I don't know. But there have been about a half dozen stories written in the last week (because of the Mobile Me name filing and such) about if and when Apple will create a phone. I think they will.

Don't forget that Motorola's chairman (after hearing a bit too much about how the ROKR sucked and the Nano was great) spouted off that Motorola knew Apple was creating a iPod phone. Maybe it was only speculation on his part, but I think not.

I think it's a matter of time... and I hope it comes soon. I don't think Jobs and Apple want anyone stealing any of the iPod's momentum.

People wanted a great music device (even though many didn't know they wanted it)... Apple created it. People wanted a way to legal purchase music online... Apple created it. People wanted to be able to buy TV shows and videos (and I'm betting movies soon)... Apple created it. I think people want to be able to stop carrying both a phone and an iPod, and they want it to be better than the ROKR... and Apple should create it.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I certainly wish they would just come out with an Apple branded smartphone/PDA/camera/etc. item soon...

I have been waiting for near four years, and I think Cingular is gonna force me to get a new phone soon...

Something about some new digital network that my four+ year old Nokia candybar phone isn't compatible with...

Wankers!

I want an Apple smartphone about Treo size, or so... BlueTooth stereo earbuds & mic standard... (maybe using the ducking feature from the GarageBand PodCast Studio feature when you are taking a call...)

Just touchscreen LCD on one side, and able to admin the network from the coffee shop around the corner...

Maybe something that uses widgets (for space constraints), saving the full size interfaces for a larger (the reality of the fabled 13" widescreen iBook) Apple branded MacPad...

(...the MacPad Pro is a 17" widescreen...)

[/ramble mode]
  • Reply 5 of 27
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    I've been looking and looking for a replacement phone for my very aged Sony Ericsson T68i for two years now, and I've come to the conclusion that there's not a cell phone out there that doesn't suck in the user interface and just general usability categories. All of the interfaces I have seen seem to be based on big meaningless icons, which makes for horrid navigation. In addition, the main screen is always just an advertisement for the phone maker, instead of a main menu like the iPod. More than Apple needs to make an iPod that's also a cell phone, they just need to make a cell phone that doesn't suck. And because they are Apple the iPod company, it would have some music playback capabilities thrown in, but first and foremost it would be a phone - not a 30GB iPod with a numberpad for $599. Light on music features, heavy on phone features.

I'm not sure how practical it is, but it seems that since Apple holds the patent for the clickwheel, they would utilize somehow in a phone design as well. Not saying this is the way to go, but just thought I'd share this mockup I did a few months ago.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    How many cell phones sold in the states allow you to transfer music to and from your computer?

My impression is that the carriers are trying to limit simple paths to the "outside world" so they can charge you extra for using their network for things like downloading music, ringtones, wallpapers, moving photos and videos around, etc.

At any rate, the usual caveat applies-- if it doesn't work with iTunes it's facing a huge hurdle. I can see where some people might like the idea of a few tunes on the cell as a novelty, but the iTunes model is pretty entrenched at this point. Can't play iTunes purchases, many people wouldn't be interested (or not to the point they'd ditch their iPod). Yes, I see that this is an argument for Apple to get into that market, but it also suggests that claims that cells are going to overthrow the iPod/iTunes hegemony may be exaggerated.

Moreover, my cell doesn't get long enough battery life as it is, for my tastes. If I started using it as an MP3 player, camera, net connection and game platform as well, I'd be lucky to go a full day before I needed to recharge.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

If I started using it as an MP3 player, camera, net connection and game platform as well, I'd be lucky to go a full day before I needed to recharge.

Easy fix, drop the Apple smartphone into a dock each night...

Added bonus, Sync with your computer at the same time...!
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by macmike

With all the cell phone companies throwing MP3 playing capability into thier phones... I feel that Apple has to respond and do what they do best. Great design, great interface and take everything to the next level. How they will do this?, I don't know. But there have been about a half dozen stories written in the last week (because of the Mobile Me name filing and such) about if and when Apple will create a phone. I think they will.

Don't forget that Motorola's chairman (after hearing a bit too much about how the ROKR sucked and the Nano was great) spouted off that Motorola knew Apple was creating a iPod phone. Maybe it was only speculation on his part, but I think not.

I think it's a matter of time... and I hope it comes soon. I don't think Jobs and Apple want anyone stealing any of the iPod's momentum.

People wanted a great music device (even though many didn't know they wanted it)... Apple created it. People wanted a way to legal purchase music online... Apple created it. People wanted to be able to buy TV shows and videos (and I'm betting movies soon)... Apple created it. I think people want to be able to stop carrying both a phone and an iPod, and they want it to be better than the ROKR... and Apple should create it.

Perhaps...but Apple dosn't really have a market for that. What carriers would take the phone, what credibility does Apple have as a phone maker, what experience does Apple have with creating a good phone, etc. Also, Apple wouldn't want to take away from true iPod sales beacuse of an iPod cell phone. And I think Steve Jobs fimrly thinks that while MP3 players in cell phones might be a nice added bonus, its nothing to ride home about...as in, if you want an MP3 Player, you dont buy a cell phone...and no cell phone will ever replace an MP3 player. Just like a computer dosn't replace a TV, a Swiss Army knife dosn't replace your regular knives, and one of the best examples, a camera phone dosnt replace a camera.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    I would be happy with an Apple designed phone with a great GUI and no features apart from an address book.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    jindrich I whole heartedly agree.

What model sony ericsson phone do you use?

The phone could be called iCall. Short. Sweet. Simple.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    I think a slick interface like Front Row... controlled with a click wheel would be great. Instead of videos, music, etc... the interface could show contacts, phone settings, and more (plus music and videos I guess too). Have the phone look like an ipod... with a slider keypad that pops out.

Some analysts have said that Apple could create a MVN (I think that's what they called it... a Mobile Virtual Network). Basically they lease extra space from an existing network (like Cingular) and create their own pseudo network (without having to make all their own towers and such). If there was an Apple Cell Network with great phones, I would sign up. They could be sold at Apple stores.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Apple would not be able to do anything as a provider, the services are for the most part the same as the owners. Virtual providers usual market themselves on price and/or customer service, not Apples trademark areas.

When Apple entered the mp3 marked it was very unmatured. Lots of players and no kind of direction, VERY unlike the mobile phone marked.

I don´t believe the mobile phone is a threath to the iPod. The phone was the first digital gadget that came in the pockets of a majority of us. Since them two things happened: The electronic needed for the phone to work got really, REALLY small and small low powered digital cameras, MP3 players and memory cards came along. To make it attractive for you to buy a new phone you need to add new functionality (it doesn´t really make any sense anymore to make the phone even smaller), hence MP3 and camera functionality. You got the battery, a package and a miniscule GUI. To add a CMOS and a decoder is really easy and cheap at that stage. But a phone will stay a phone, it will never give you a perfect or even near perfect MP3 player or camera.

So the iPod is safe from phones. An iPod is a perfect music player, the current perfect pocket video player (and Apple will be able to expand on this in a way Nokia and S//E won´t), digital cameras do their jobs perfect. A telephone is a perfect telephone with decent to poor camera and music capabilities for those occations you didn´t bring the real thing with you. They are not competing for the same spot.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

..So the iPod is safe from phones...

you dont live in europe or asia, do you?

i think the problem here may lay in the assumption americans and USA in general make about the whole cellphone industry, which surprisingly appears to be quite undeveloped in comparison to other countries.

go to europe and see everyone from teenagers up to people under their mid30s -biggest iPod target group- rave about their new cellphones, which have 2mpx cameras and play mp3s very well, and how they get crazy about ringtones and other trivia (have you heard about the "Crazy Frog" and other nasty characters that only exist in cellphones? those things are BIG)

cellphones are the future of the electronics and entertainment industry. period.

now, if apple only release a cellphone with a 2mpx cam and exactly the SAME abilities as the current iPod/Nano, they'd enter they market by storm.

to ecking,

i'm about to buy either the sony K750 or the W800. The about to be released W810 is just like the aformentioned but with 4band, so it'll work in the states also.

btw, in this other thread many iPhone mockups i'm showing some possibilities for very doable iphones
  • Reply 14 of 27
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    me too think the same way ...

tired of carrying cell phone and iPod ...

not like US, people here travel by Bus/Train/Car... carrying too many gadgets with out bags are troublesome ...

iPod/Phone combination will be the next hit and even may take on Cell phone companies.

iPod Nano, that will be cool device even if it is price like $299 or $399
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by jindrich

you dont live in europe or asia, do you?

I do live in Europe (Denmark). I have a K750 and until very recently worked in the industry. On top of that I even did customer satisfaction reporting to our largest mobile phone provider until 18 month ago

All you write about the below 35 group is true - up until they are 25 years old. But "just" because they are happy about their mobile phone doesn´t mean they don´t love their iPod at least as much, its two seperate things. The iPod have some advantages now that the mobile phone can´t beat - large storage, pictures and video for the classic iPod and size and pictures for the Nano. There will always be a distance between what the iPod can offer and what the phone makers can put into their phones, the distance will always be there. The mobile phones don´t threaten the current iPod marked.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Just found a PPS presentation I made. Classic segmentation stuff.

The segment you are talking about:

-Is about 20% of the mobile phone marked.

-They are 18-30 years old.

-Their focus is on the handset, not the provider (choses provider through the handset, not the other way around).

-Focus on the technology side of things (like connecting their PDA to their mobile phone for email and browsing)

-HAS AND SPENDS A LOT OF MONEY ON DIFFERENT DEVICES TO HAVE THE OPTIMAL IN ALL CATEGORIES.

This group is different than another segment, the (12)15-25 year old that uses a lot of attention on SMS, ring tones and not so much on more exotic technologies .
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I do live in Europe (Denmark). I have a K750 and until very recently worked in the industry. On top of that I even did customer satisfaction reporting to our largest mobile phone provider until 18 month ago

All you write about the below 35 group is true - up until they are 25 years old. But "just" because they are happy about their mobile phone doesn´t mean they don´t love their iPod at least as much, its two seperate things. The iPod have some advantages now that the mobile phone can´t beat - large storage, pictures and video for the classic iPod and size and pictures for the Nano. There will always be a distance between what the iPod can offer and what the phone makers can put into their phones, the distance will always be there. The mobile phones don´t threaten the current iPod marked.

hi anders,

mobile phones dont threaten the current iPod market... but it will happen this year. the only advantage for iPods is large storage.

the biggest cellphone advantge is that people carry them ALWAYS.

And now electronics are permiting to put everything the ipod has (and pdas, and simple digicams) into cells. 2-4GB storage is enough for music and video. you can put that on you phone TODAY.

Apple shouldnt let the iPod aside, just modify its product-matrix:

the ipod line could be broken into 3 categories:

-INVISIBLEtNano

-CAPACITYtHD based

-ALL ROADStiPhone
  • Reply 18 of 27
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    The US cellular market, with its monopolism and commitment locks, is about as anti-consumer as it could possibly get. Competition has brought prices down, but it hasn't changed the amazingly arrogant attitudes of the carriers, who are nearly all owned by RBOCs.

A battery life of only a day would be unacceptable in a cellphone - some people travel.

And why do we need so many iPhone threads?

(edit) Anders is right, any "Swiss Army Knife" phone will have significant deficiencies. For example, I have a Treo. It can play MP3s, but I never use it for that.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by jindrich

hi anders,

mobile phones dont threaten the current iPod market... but it will happen this year. the only advantage for iPods is large storage.

nokia already has a 4gb phone/mp3 device ready for the market.

http://www.nokia.com/nseries/index.h...=en&country=GB
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Did y'all see this article and images? No numberpad. You dial using the clickwheel to select numbers on the screen. That sounds frustrating as all hell.