With the new MacTels, What software (if any) is already Intel-native

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I had heard that all the Apple Pro apps would be native by March/April.

What I'm more curious about is how many of the apps that Apple includes with a new iMac with a Core Duo chip or a Mac Book Pro etc. are in fact native code, or do they all run under emulation in Rosetta at this time? Apps like Safari, Mail, iTunes,, iDVD, iMovie etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    All the iLife apps are universal and I expect the rest will follow soon.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

All the iLife apps are universal and I expect the rest will follow soon.

Since the bundles on iMac G5 and the Intel iMac are different I would guess that all bunled apps are Universal.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Yeah apparently Safari, Mail, Chess, all the included apps from Apple are. It's just odd because in 10.4.4 they still show as PowerPC for me. Must be a slightly different install from the DVD?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Yeah apparently Safari, Mail, Chess, all the included apps from Apple are. It's just odd because in 10.4.4 they still show as PowerPC for me. Must be a slightly different install from the DVD?

They are Universal on an Intel Mac. 10.4.4 on a PowerPC Mac only a few apps (iTunes 6.0.2 is one) is Universal.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    What about photoshop?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    All (or at least most) of the Omni Group's apps are Universal Binaries, including OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle, two of the best apps available.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Does anyone know (or can anyone with a new iMac check) if all of the under-the-hood stuff runs native? The BSD utilities, Perl, Ruby, Apache, etc.? Getting all that stuff to build and run on a new architecture has got to be an enormous effort, so I'll be hugely impressed if it's all already native, but it seems too much to ask for...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    Versiontracker now had a Universal software section, pretty good place to see what has gone universal so far. I suspect most cocoa apps will be compatible in a month or two with carbon apps following 5-6 months later.

http://www.versiontracker.com/macintel/updates/
  • Reply 9 of 11
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Does anyone know (or can anyone with a new iMac check) if all of the under-the-hood stuff runs native? The BSD utilities, Perl, Ruby, Apache, etc.? Getting all that stuff to build and run on a new architecture has got to be an enormous effort, so I'll be hugely impressed if it's all already native, but it seems too much to ask for...

Apple had OSX running on Intel from the beginning. They had a parallel development from the OS on every step. So OSX on Intel is already solid and mature (and it was based on NeXT Step, wich was X86 in the first place).

As for the apps, that's another story. But OSX itself runs fine.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

All that stuff has existing x86 versions and has had them since the beginning. BSD, Perl, Ruby, Apache all run on Intel already, so there was really no port to be done. It's all part of Darwin x86.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

It's all part of Darwin x86.

True, true...didn't think of those guys. [burns]Excellent.[/burns]