Final Cut Studio Universal apps won't be sold separately

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Well I smell a bargain! For £200 I can purchase the entire Final Cut Studio suite. I have ordered my upgrade for Motion from Amazon and am awaiting the 1st February!

And the reason they'd keep a PowerPC version is because their entire install base is on PPC!
  • Reply 42 of 88
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

And the reason they'd keep a PowerPC version is because their entire install base is on PPC!

But a Universal Application is both Intel and PowerPC-based, hence the name Universal. That's why we are all perplexed as to why they would continue selling a PowerPC-only version when they're selling a Universal version that runs on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs. It don't make no kind of sense.
  • Reply 43 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

But a Universal Application is both Intel and PowerPC-based, hence the name Universal. That's why we are all perplexed as to why they would continue selling a PowerPC-only version when they're selling a Universal version that runs on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs. It don't make no kind of sense.

Perhaps Universal Binaries will be written to so that they work on both but just work better on intel processors.

If thats the case they might need to keep a seperate PowerPC version of some pro apps around for a while.
  • Reply 44 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Oh - sorry I think I missed that. It doesn't make any sense - unless the universal is slightly updated?
  • Reply 45 of 88
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Where aretrhe details, I have DVDSP3, can I upgrade for $200, I guess that will be £200 because we know the exchange rate is 1:1
  • Reply 46 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Where aretrhe details, I have DVDSP3, can I upgrade for $200, I guess that will be £200 because we know the exchange rate is 1:1

You'll need DVD Studio Pro 4 to upgrade

This is the link for the UK: http://www.apple.com/uk/finalcutstud...questions.html
  • Reply 47 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by jsnluera

I went down to my local CompUSA yesterday to get Motion 2.0.

Hell...I dont even have my Mac yet but I will be getting one in the next month or two and was planning on getting Final cut Studio for use in my media portfolio class.

Now if everything works out Ill be able to save $700.00 off of final cut studio. Thats close to the education price....but it will be elligible for upgrades in the future.

Just hope the upgrade offer doesn't have a date of purchase restriction.
  • Reply 48 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffhrsn

It doesn't say it does - but Apple could change that. At the moment Apple say you can upgrade from Motion 2 to Final Cut Studio for £139.

However even if they did, how can you prove when you bought it - especially if you bought it last year!
  • Reply 49 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

However even if they did, how can you prove when you bought it - especially if you bought it last year!

Product registration or a valid sales receipt?
  • Reply 50 of 88
    Quote:

Product registration or a valid sales receipt?

Not everyone registers or keeps receipts so I doubt Apple will do this. They have told all resellers in the US to stop selling these apps individually so that'll probably be enough. Maybe there hoping people will get Final Cut Studio who haven't in the past and then will need to upgrade?

Who knows, we'll find out on the 1st Feb!
  • Reply 51 of 88
    Quote:

Well...I have 20 more days to find out for sure while still being able to return it.

But apple doesnt say anything about that. I doubt they would require a receipt because not too many people would bother keeping it for a stand alone product like motion.

They could maybe do it by registration but I'm guessing they will do it exactly the same way they have always done their registration which should let one purchased recently aplicable for the upgrade.

I'm guessing that the products out there right now will dry up REAL FAST...and that apple will be willing to live with the fact that some people who just recently bought they standalone will be getting a GREAT deal on the upgrade.
  • Reply 52 of 88
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    If you don't already own the Apple products then there are competing ones you can look at. Then again Adobe seems to be doing something similar, and the pricing is not that much different from Apple's.

I am guessing that they are probably trying to make the different tools work closer together. Think iLife for professionals.
  • Reply 53 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajmas

Think iLife for professionals.

Think "Software as a Service".

iLife: $79/year

iWork: $79/year

FCP Studio: $699/year?? $499??

OS X: $129/two-years

.Mac: $99/year

See a trend?

Selling FCP Studio as a suite, Apple is virtually guaranteed $499-$699 per year, rather than selling them individually and having people upgrade only 1 compelling product per year at $199 or so.

The packaging (i.e. suites of products) is like Office but with an annual upgrade. This appears to be the direction software is moving in.
  • Reply 54 of 88
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Think "Software as a Service".

iLife: $79/year

iWork: $79/year

FCP Studio: $699/year?? $499??

OS X: $129/two-years

.Mac: $99/year

See a trend?

Selling FCP Studio as a suite, Apple is virtually guaranteed $499-$699 per year, rather than selling them individually and having people upgrade only 1 compelling product per year at $199 or so.

The packaging (i.e. suites of products) is like Office but with an annual upgrade. This appears to be the direction software is moving in.

Not really true, contrary to most Mac users view of the world, you dont need to upgrade every time something new comes out. In fact you shouldnt. For best proformance in a pro enviornment, you should have your hardware and software on the same upgrade cycle.

If you dont need a new feature, dont upgrade right away, plenty of people still run PS7 because it does the job in a reasonable amount of time on the hardware they use.
  • Reply 55 of 88
    Apple did a giveaway/upgrade thing a few years ago with Final Cut Express. I received version 1 for free by sending them my Adobe Premiere disks. As a result I had no remaining upgrade path to Adobe and was able to get the upgrade price on future versions of Final Cut Express.

This is what they are doing with the new suite. Try to entice new users to get the whole thing at a special low introductory price, then keep them on the hook with annual upgrade charges.

I have no doubt that 1-2 months after I drop $199 to get the suite by owning Motion 2 that there will be a update to all of the programs in the suite costing $299 - $399 for that upgrade. Remember, all you get for your $199 is a universal version of the current shipping software, not any upgrades. Thus one should realistically say that the upgrade from the current version of Motion 2 to the next version of the suite will cost around $500 - $600.

Still a good deal, although I currently have no need for Soundtrack Pro.
  • Reply 56 of 88
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

THEY MADE EXPRESS TOO GOOD

Express along with DVDSP and maybe motion is enough for 90% or more of the prosumer/weekend vidiographer croud and some pros too, like small time event video producers...they are trying to de-emphasise just how good Express is, shur you can make the video, but you really cant do anything else with it.

I look for a version of DVDsp to be made "express" and vwola -- FCE(which includes soundtrack and live type) will get DVDSE added to the bundle and a $500 price tag.

full time pros will buy pro without batting an eyelash as long as it has more or equil features and costs less than Avid

Prosumers dont have much of a choice on the Apple side...and it beats the hell out of premere elements on the PC

sorry. i just burst out laughing when you mentioned premiere elements on PC. !! ROFL such a weird comparison to make

a lot of PC video people though like sony's Vegas it seems
  • Reply 57 of 88
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

sorry. i just burst out laughing when you mentioned premiere elements on PC. !! ROFL such a weird comparison to make

a lot of PC video people though like sony's Vegas it seems

Well, at work we switched from premere 6 to Vagas, while it is restricted and couldnt even carry FCEs water,, it is faster than premere and it "just works".
  • Reply 58 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If you dont need a new feature, dont upgrade right away, plenty of people still run PS7 because it does the job in a reasonable amount of time on the hardware they use.

Yeah, but if DVD Studio Pro 5 supports BluRay and HD-DVD, I'll have to spend $$$ to upgrade the whole suite just to get it even though I don't care about FCP 6 or Motion 3 or whatever.

Does that sound economically good? Not to me. I just hope Apple plans on a huge price discount for the suite.
  • Reply 59 of 88
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    I went shopping yesterday and found apple resellers out of all of the pro products. But the apple store still had all of them on the shelf and were selling the. FYI, go to an apple store if you have one and pick em up!

I picked up Motion 2 from a mall apple store.
  • Reply 60 of 88
    Doh.. ok I'm about to buy a Quad Powemac for Protools productions as well as HD editing production. I currently have the academic version of Production suite but since its the academic version it is supposedly not up-datable to Studio (although I am curious if I bought the studio upgade if it would let me register is.anyone know?

With this new news I am currently thinking that Apple will bundle a quad with Studio software as a bundle for much cheaper than buying them separately either on the february date or at NAB.. also timing wise it is duy for atleast a .5 upgade so this universal thing is suprising.. unless they plan to announce an additional .5 upgade but seems weird to do this so close to NAB..

Ok so I don't want to wait for the Intel Tower, and I want a quad now as well as Studio.. should I wait to feb 1st. Should I buy a Quad now and motion and upgrade feb 1st? Wait till NAB? Screw the purchase and go to Cancun?