Second HD for Dual 2.7 PowerMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can anyone recommend a good quality HD to act as a second HD for my dual 2.7 Powermac?

I'm looking at either a 250gb or 500gb one - are there any models that are better than others in the Powermac?

Cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I think you'll find people have varying opinions when it comes to hard drive brands. But that being the case, I'll give you mine... I don't think you would regret getting a Seagate Barracuda. I have a dual 2.7 also and I bought a 300 GB Barracuda to add to the stock 400 GB. I've always been happy with Seagate drives.

Here's a link for browsing purposes with a few different options.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-...3.5-SerialATA/
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I have always used Seagata for ATA installations and Maxtor for SATA, I haven't one go bad in a situation where it shouldnt. The maxtor connectors are also stronger than other brands I have tried.

Thanks, Justin.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpennington

I have always used Seagata for ATA installations and Maxtor for SATA, I haven't one go bad in a situation where it shouldnt. The maxtor connectors are also stronger than other brands I have tried.

Thanks, Justin.

I just had a 250 GB Maxtor SATA (Apple installed) go bad on me. I ended up replacing it with a very nice Hitachi Deskstar 400. Much better performance.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I purchased a 300 GB Seagate Barracuda also (I'll double check when I get home) to accompany the stock 250 GB drive in my Dual 2 GHz Rev A G5. The new drive is quieter and faster than the previous one, although the machine is still louder than I'd like.

I'm hoping the intel-based Mac Pro Towers (or whatever they'll be called) will be quieter and smaller. At this point though I'm almost willing to sell my G5 tower and replace it with a new Core Duo iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by MontyPavement

Can anyone recommend a good quality HD to act as a second HD for my dual 2.7 Powermac?

I'm looking at either a 250gb or 500gb one - are there any models that are better than others in the Powermac?

Cheers!

Obviously some people have specific brand preferences, but in general, all new drives today are really good, and perform much better than drives from even 1 1/2 years ago. As for "models that are better than others in the Powermac", no, however a drive performs, it performs. Doesn't matter if it's in a PC or Mac. (obviously a less efficient drive controller will make one perform slower, but that would be across the board for any drive you connect to it. but you won't see 'Drive X' perform really well in Macs, and bad in PCs, while 'Drive Z' performs really wel in PCs and poorly in Macs.)

As for where to buy, you generally can't beat newegg. The prices are almost always the lowest (from reputable dealers), and they're famous for their quick shipping and good service.

I never understood people thinking they needed to buy stuff for their mac from a "mac parts" store. for example, the 160GB Hitachi (T7K250, i think) at OtherWorld Computing is $100, and the same exact drive is $80 from newegg. I think OWC only exists because what'shisname over at xlr8yourmac.com constantly plugs the site (and gets kickbacks).

Hope this helps.

(edit) The DiamondMax 10's and the MaxLine Plus IIIs are nice, and performance is getting real close to Raptors. I'd suggest checking out the Tom's Storage reviews to help make your own conclusions on tradeoffs between heat/noise/performance/cost.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I took the plunge and ordered a 300g Seagate Barracuda from Dabs (I'm in the UK), which I fitted last night and is currently working away quite nicely.

Ta again