Windows XP Networking Problems...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've had this problem ever since OS X 10.2... But when I host a network with my Powerbook running 10.4.4, I can share my dial-up connection to my Windows XP machine through both airport and ethernet, and the Windows sees the Mac's files and folders just fine. But the Mac has never been able to browse the Windows PC's folders. Sometimes the Mac will even see the PC on the network browser, but it never connects.

And yes I've tried connecting manually through the "Connect to server" option.

Yes, I've checked for port and IP issues. Actually, DHCP never worked either, the network doesn't work at all when DHCP is on. I've been using manual address since I can remember. Let alone ICS.

And yes, I've not only enabled network sharing in Windows, but I'm sharing every single drive on the machine.

I've worked on this for years, trying so many things.

I just find it odd that networking seems to be the one thing Windows does better than OS X.

What's weird though is that BOTH computers have always been able to see each others music libraries when both are running iTunes via itunes Music Sharing. Which means bonjour works.

A solution would be very appreciated... Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I've run into problems when connecting as I've left off the workgroup from the username during authentication.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by smashbrosfan

I've had this problem ever since OS X 10.2... But when I host a network with my Powerbook running 10.4.4, I can share my dial-up connection to my Windows XP machine through both airport and ethernet, and the Windows sees the Mac's files and folders just fine. But the Mac has never been able to browse the Windows PC's folders. Sometimes the Mac will even see the PC on the network browser, but it never connects.

Yes, I've checked for port and IP issues. Actually, DHCP never worked either, the network doesn't work at all when DHCP is on. I've been using manual address since I can remember. Let alone ICS.

And yes, I've not only enabled network sharing in Windows, but I'm sharing every single drive on the machine.

I just find it odd that networking seems to be the one thing Windows does better than OS X.

What's weird though is that BOTH computers have always been able to see each others music libraries when both are running iTunes via itunes Music Sharing. Which means bonjour works.

Firewall on PC, XPSP2? iTunes will poke a hole in the FW on the PC when you install it; you might try turning it off (XPSP2 has a built-in FW that automatically turns on) and see what happens.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    To turn of the firewall, turning it of in the control panel is not enough, even when "off" is is still on

Go to the control panel administrative tools and then to the shortcut to services.

In the list of running services you will find windows firewall. You have to rightclick and turn that of, go also to the starting method of the service and set it to manual, otherwise it will kick in at restarts.

Windows is so much fun
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBoar

To turn of the firewall, turning it of in the control panel is not enough, even when "off" is is still on

Go to the control panel administrative tools and then to the shortcut to services.

In the list of running services you will find windows firewall. You have to rightclick and turn that of, go also to the starting method of the service and set it to manual, otherwise it will kick in at restarts.

Windows is so much fun

Erm, huh?

When you turn it off, it's off. Oh, the *service* is still running, but it's off in that it's not blocking traffic. You don't need to disable the service too.

This is the normal behavior of services, and OS X daemons work exactly the same way.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Hate to break it to you guys, but that was one of the first things I thought of when SP2 came out. it IS off.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Simple question are you in same workgroup with windows?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Yup, switched them both from "MSHOME" to the workgroup I chose.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Another question, do you have netbeui installed in windows? I don't know why OSX wouldn't make connections over TCP/IP but I have previously had problems with two windows machines not connecting if it's not turned on, and in XP it's off by default.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by smashbrosfan

What's the exact error?

What are the exact steps you do?

If you do a connect to server, and where it says "Workgroup or Domain" instead you key in the PC's machinename, does it then work?