iChat Video Conferencing.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Question of the day:

On our new intel iMac... I have iChat running with an AIM account. Works fine.

Being bored I decided to play with the video chat. This is where things get weird.

If I invite from the Mac to my PC I get a message saying the mac did not respond.

If I invite from my PC to my Mac it works. (This is all within my house on my home network).

Now, If i invite a friend from outside the house, I get the message saying the mac did not respond.

And if a friend invites from outside my network I still get the message saying I did not respond..

What is going on here and how do I fix this problem?

Thanks!

Jeff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by sgtpeper

Question of the day:

On our new intel iMac... I have iChat running with an AIM account. Works fine.

Being bored I decided to play with the video chat. This is where things get weird.

If I invite from the Mac to my PC I get a message saying the mac did not respond.

If I invite from my PC to my Mac it works. (This is all within my house on my home network).

Now, If i invite a friend from outside the house, I get the message saying the mac did not respond.

And if a friend invites from outside my network I still get the message saying I did not respond..

What is going on here and how do I fix this problem?

Thanks!

Jeff

I'm having the same problem as well. Trying to team up with some one at a company I'm dealing with. We both get messages say we didn't respond. Found a message about ports to open did that. Put the computer to a DZM port on the router still no luck!

Anyone know how to fix this?

-Scott
  • Reply 2 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I get don't responds and insufficient bandwidths 90% of the time I even try to talk. Why does iChat simply never work? To either my sister at McGill or my parents at home in Vermont with Verizon DSL. It's worked like once or twice. I guess because I walked precisely 2034 steps that day, ate exactly 40 Cheerios, and the planets were in the exact alignment necessary for iChat to work. Guys just give up. Apple hasn't bothered making sure iChat works since, well, iChat 1.0. It's getting to be...a problem, as IM and now VoIP is kind of key.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    iChat has some serious issues in certain network environments. I have a friend at RISD and there's something on her university network that gives us "did not respond" errors 90% of the time. When it does work, it works wodnerfully, but it usually simply does not work.

I can connect to people elsewhere fine, though.

Playing with the ports may help... It fixed out problems, but only for a while.

Quite simply, software like Skype has much better network tunneling and always works... Apple could learn something from them.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

iChat has some serious issues in certain network environments. I have a friend at RISD and there's something on her university network that gives us "did not respond" errors 90% of the time. When it does work, it works wodnerfully, but it usually simply does not work.

I can connect to people elsewhere fine, though.

Playing with the ports may help... It fixed out problems, but only for a while.

Quite simply, software like Skype has much better network tunneling and always works... Apple could learn something from them.

How does Skype work? Does it give you the same functions as iChat and video capability?

-Scott
  • Reply 5 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Skype is awesome...

The PC version just introduced video conf capability, and Mac compatibility is coming soon..

It goes through any firewall, etc.. and also, the file transfer speeds are great...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So how come Apple can't do that with iChat?

I will check out Skype. Last time I played with it was years ago and it was ugly and crap. I have heard so much from people here that I'll check it out again. But, again, why can't iChat just, well, work?