My Trust In Apple's Been Shaken...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I must admit my trust in them has been shaken quite a lot in the past year.

I used Windows since the days of Win 3.1. and was not only happy, I was downright giddy when I got my first taste of a Mac when I got my 1Ghz PB G4 a few years back.

Jaguar ran that machine. Then I got Panther later on and was thrilled yet again. But then the bug ridden Tiger came out... I was under the delusion that Apple CARED about it's customers... What happened? I experenced multiple kernel panics a day. But then 10.4.1 and .2 came out and things got stable again, so I dismissed it. I thought "Okay, one realese that was a tad too early."

But now it's become clear that Apple's just getting greedy. They've been pushing the iPod like nothing else this last year, and the exclusion of a power adapter or dock is just disgraceful.

Then came the MacBook Pro... Everyone expected it, everyone wants one... But am I the ONLY one who senses something shady behind the release? I'm not sure what it is, I just have this nagging feeling it's still too early...

Like Apple just released it to keep the general public quiet until it's "real" product is ready. There are little things that set red flags off in my head. Like the 60 lost pixels and the complete lack of supporting models. (12 & 17in.)

We all know more are coming, but it seems to me that the MacBook Pro is underpowered, like Apple's waiting on those Memrons.

The fact that Steve Jobs ended the Macworld Expo with "See you soon" just adds to all of this.

Maybe Apple's just a little bit shaky in the PowerPC to Intel switch, but it seems like Apple's caring more and more about the money with their recent popularity explosion.

My two cents.

~smashbroshfan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Uhm, sorry, but what are your expectations????

Apple is a for-profit company. They just announced their fastest laptop ever. and you're complaining???

Sure it is a lot of money for the specs and not the cheapest as well. But this is apple, and apple is not about selling the highest specs for the least money.

Apple is all about delivering the best user experience for a reasonable price. If you think the price is not reasonable, don't buy it!

We all know Apple wanted the merom, but intel could not deliver them this early, so they released a yonah macbook. Sure they will move to merom ASAP but why on earth is that "fishy"???
  • Reply 2 of 32
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    What he said!
  • Reply 3 of 32
    I have to wonder what the problem is with the machines of these folks who encounter "multiple kernel panics" a day. I've been using Mac OS X since 2002 and have never encountered a kernel panic -- I know what the term is, but haven't ever run across the event.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    You are right so far that the Merom Book will be the real IntelBook Pro. And it will probably come with more features than the current MacBook Pro. But that doesn´t make it less of a computer.

The first iMac was a fantastic computer, it kickstarted the second coming of Apple. But just take a look at the first see-through iMacs and their specs and compare it to the first. It DWARFS the first and came about one year after the first. But that doesn´t make the first iMac a great computer in itself.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    In some ways this is going to have to be an iterative process. Apple needed to get out a product (or two) that showed developers they were going to be behind the curve if they didn't get the dual binaries out, as well as giving them access to hardware. It is significantly faster, than the G4, which is great. Does it reinvent the wheel? No, but if it did and there were issues people would be griping about it. This is a trade off ? a solid machine and a great first foray into the Intel world.

Apple isn?t perfect, but as far as I am concerned I will never go with anything else ? at least at home?
  • Reply 6 of 32
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smashbrosfan

Then came the MacBook Pro... Everyone expected it, everyone wants one... But am I the ONLY one who senses something shady behind the release? I'm not sure what it is, I just have this nagging feeling it's still too early...

I think you ought to update your paranoia medication.

In case you hadn't noticed the computer business (indeed, most businesses) are about product iterations. You put something on the market then you work on making a better one, and when its ready for market you put it on the market, etc. In the computer business there is a certain pace of life, and if you don't maintain it, you fall behind. Apple announced the Intel switch 6 months ago, and they started working feverishly on the first set of machines that many would automatically be waiting for as a result. The G4s have been stagnant for some time so the PowerBook has been getting more and more stale compared to the PC laptops which just put extra urgency on Apple to get the first Intel-based machine to market. So here it is, and it is what it is.

Are there 12" and 17" versions coming soon? Yes.

Is there a Merom-based version in the future? Almost certainly.

Are there Intel-based iBooks coming? Yes.

Are there Intel-based towers coming? Yes.

There is no secret conspiracy here. The G4-based PowerBooks came 15" first followed by the other sizes later. Merom isn't ready yet, but there is no real reason for Apple to wait and lots of reasons why they shouldn't. Why don't all the products switch at once? Something gets done first, and why leave it on the shelf until they are all ready? One or two at a time reduces disruption in the production lines and in the market. Getting something out earlier lets them get started and addressing inevitable version 1.0 issues sooner. It motivates developers to get their software updated sooner.

If anything that has happened surprised you, you don't understand the computer business. And I don't expect any surprises in the next year or so: Apple can't afford them right now. They might not hand you all the details of what they are planning, but there is enough of a sketch to make a good guess and no company details plans like that. If they did then they'd either get slapped when the plans inevitably change (like IBM did years ago), or their competition would steal their thunder.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    The only thing I agree with is the bug ridden software. When Apple's co-founder Wozniak complains about the software I know there's an issue here.

However the rest of your post sounds more like venting than something that can actually be backed up by cogent argumentation. Companies exist to make money and offer returns to their shareholders or Principals. Apple is neither less nor more greedy than any other public company.

Can we move this to Gen Discuss Mods?
  • Reply 8 of 32
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    what Programmer said also!

As for kernel panics I have only had one. This occurred when a small ipod got full during an itunes update. I disconnected the ipod and never had another problem.

I use and maintain 4 macs and have never encountered this "bugginess"

That is, except for Aperture on a powerbook.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    In my experience, overall Apple's software has been less bug ridden when compared to other software (I haven't used Aperture, though). That's not to say it's perfect, because it isn't. My point is that it isn't an Apple problem, it's an overall problem that the software industry is facing (and should be handling better). On the other hand, there's incredible pressure to be first to market, and the mentality that if there are bugs left, "we can always release a patch later".
  • Reply 10 of 32
    I was an avid Mac user until I graduated college - both my parents were profs and we got great deals. Whatever OS version was out in '97 was what drove me to windows. I came back to OS X 18 months ago when I got an iBook for each my GF & I - with not a single issue I would attribute to an overly buggy OS; problem here or there (mainly with SimCity) but all in all a great experience.

If I had to fault apple it would be for the quality of the hardware (iBook screens & iPods) and Apple Customer Care may be an oxymoron - but when it comes to software, perfection is for the gods....
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by bacarr

I have to wonder what the problem is with the machines of these folks who encounter "multiple kernel panics" a day. I've been using Mac OS X since 2002 and have never encountered a kernel panic -- I know what the term is, but haven't ever run across the event.

I had this problem way back when with my iBook. The cuplrit was a bad 3rd-party memory module. Replaced it and never had a problem again.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    There is no conspiracy here. The powerbook line was so due for an update and selling so poorly it had to be updated. The 12 inch and 17 inch models are less important because they sell less. The iMac also sells like crazy and therefore was updated along with the pro laptops. Would I buy a rev A hardware on a completely new platform?... not a chance. Do I want to buy it?... hell yea.

The only problem I have with apple is there customer service. When I had a problem with my 12 inch powerbook I had to goto the store and talk with a genius first. I guess if you live in Oklahoma that is not a big deal but in NYC it took me three trips to finally see one. I ended up going to NJ to get it done.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jivebaby

[B]There is no conspiracy here. The powerbook line was so due for an update and selling so poorly it had to be updated. The 12 inch and 17 inch models are less important because they sell less. The iMac also sells like crazy and therefore was updated along with the pro laptops.

I know what you mean but it is still pretty funny to read:

-The 15 inch PB sells poorly so it got updated

-The 12 and 17 inch also sell poorly, so they didn´t

-The iMac sells like hot cake so it got updated

• Reply 14 of 32
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    While I agree that the current MacBook is likely a hold over model, it still is blazing fast so I don't think you can complain that much.

If your complaint is that its not as fast as unreleased models using non-shipping processors coming out later this year, you could say that about everything! These Macs are shipping now (well next month for the MacBook) and they kick the previous models butts. They also send a strong statement to my Dual G5 that it is going down next!

Quote:

My name is MacBook Pro, King of Kings:

Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

• Reply 15 of 32
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I have had almost no problems with Tiger and I got it as a .0 version.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

I have had almost no problems with Tiger and I got it as a .0 version.

4 macs here and the same for me. No problems.

I almost preordered a MacBook Pro today... I then went and looked at a new 15" powerbook G4 and almost bought it (the powerbooks look great)...

I don't know how much longer I can hold out on buying a notebook, hurry up Apple and get the rest of the line out so I can order. 8)
  • Reply 17 of 32
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    ^ Don't you already have a notebook?
  • Reply 18 of 32
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

^ Don't you already have a notebook?

Yeah, that's personal though.

I need a new work notebook in the worst way.

and yes I have one of those Dell M60 things but that is beside the point... i don't do any business on a PC minus minor frontpage usage and AutoCad. *cough* *cough* I am really waiting for VPC for the Intels but I am thinking I may buy one early to learn my way around the intel stuff. *cough* *cough*

• Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by JivebabyThe only problem I have with apple is there customer service. When I had a problem with my 12 inch powerbook I had to goto the store and talk with a genius first. I guess if you live in Oklahoma that is not a big deal but in NYC it took me three trips to finally see one. I ended up going to NJ to get it done.

We had both iBook screens die less than a year a year from the purchase date, but within days of one and other - I procrastinated on buying applecare, $700 worth of apple care, and when I called it was ONE day past the year anniversary of the purchase. They wouldn't take my apple care order, but actually recomended I buy two new iBooks.

Off-topic, sorry...

My rehabbed iBook is chugging along and doing what it was inteded to do when I fixed it last June: hold me over until the MacBook Pro came along. I am not sure I am dead set against buying rev A - but I am certain I am going to watch these boards and see how those that are first to take the plunge fair.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I know what you mean but it is still pretty funny to read:

-The 15 inch PB sells poorly so it got updated

-The 12 and 17 inch also sell poorly, so they didn´t

-The iMac sells like hot cake so it got updated

The powerbook 15 was such a dog performance wise and so important to their pro lineup that it had to be updated.

The iMac is their premiere consumer desktop so they cannot have people waiting until the intel update.

Totally different reasons to update the imac and powerbook.

The ibook and minimac are next but will have to wait til the single cores are released. Should be an interesting year.