The Intel Ad: Photocopiers working full-time at Cupertino

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Look at this. Just look at it. Isn't it clear this time that this ad is a blatant copy of a Postal Service video? I mean, there was some room left to argue about the Eminem ad, but this one? It's almost 100% the same!

Man, they seriously need to change their advertisement agency and start paying more attention to prior work.

Apple Intel Ad + Postal Service video side by side comparison movie

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Look at this. Just look at it. Isn't it clear this time that this ad is a blatant copy of a Postal Service video? I mean, there was some room left to argue about the Eminem ad, but this one? It's almost 100% the same!

Man, they seriously need to change their advertisement agency and start paying more attention to prior work.

Apple Intel Ad + Postal Service video side by side comparison movie

Maybe they cut a deal w/ the postal service because they really liked their video and wanted to make something like it...
  • Reply 2 of 73
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Apparently the same people did both the ad and the video. I'd think there would still be issues though: If you make a video for a band, I'd assume they have some IP rights over the video, so that you can't just turn around and "re-use" it for another client.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Maybe they cut a deal w/ the postal service because they really liked their video and wanted to make something like it...

No, they made no deal. Apparently (as BRussell noted) they hired the same guys and TOLD THEM TO DO A NEW VERSION OF THE SAME AD. Which, as we see, turned out to be the same ad just different people inside those white clothes. And Apple just accepted it and went ahead with is as if it was an original piece of work.
  • Reply 4 of 73
    Quote:

No, they made no deal. Apparently (as BRussell noted) they hired the same guys and TOLD THEM TO DO A NEW VERSION OF THE SAME AD. Which, as we see, turned out to be the same ad just different people inside those white clothes. And Apple just accepted it and went ahead with is as if it was an original piece of work.

And you know all of this because...?
  • Reply 5 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

And you know all of this because...?

Sarah Moody of Sub Pop Records, The Postal Service's Seattle record company, writes:

"... the Apple commercial is indeed very similar, it wasn't licensed in any form, and was made by the same directors as the Postal Service video. We weren't alerted to the fact that it existed until the day it came out."

Moody didn't say, but The PS's Such Great Heights video was made by directing duo Josh Melnick and Xander Charity, whose working name is Josh & Xander.

Apple's ad agency, TBWA\\Chiat\\Day, didn't respond to a request for comment.

Link
  • Reply 6 of 73
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Apple does everything first, so obviously the space-time continuum is screwing something up.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Sarah Moody of Sub Pop Records, The Postal Service's Seattle record company, writes:

"... the Apple commercial is indeed very similar, it wasn't licensed in any form, and was made by the same directors as the Postal Service video. We weren't alerted to the fact that it existed until the day it came out."

Moody didn't say, but The PS's Such Great Heights video was made by directing duo Josh Melnick and Xander Charity, whose working name is Josh & Xander.

Link

Do you have any evidence that Apple specifically requested a copy of the music video, or knew it was so similar?
  • Reply 8 of 73
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Apple does everything first, so obviously the space-time continuum is screwing something up.

Actually I did it first. That being pointing out the similarity between the two a week ago:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...phy#post865974
  • Reply 9 of 73
    Quote:

Link

Yes, but you still don't have anything on the "TOLD THEM TO DO A NEW VERSION OF THE SAME AD" bit and the implication that Apple knew about the other video at all.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Both ads suck, but I'm wondering what the USPS was trying to accomplish with theirs. What does a chip-manufacturing clean room have to do with the post office?
  • Reply 11 of 73
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Both ads suck, but I'm wondering what the USPS was trying to accomplish with theirs. What does a chip-manufacturing clean room have to do with the post office?

• Reply 12 of 73
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Is that you, Emily LaTella?
  • Reply 13 of 73
    Apparently there's something here that I'm missing. Pardon me for looking like an idiot.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Apparently there's something here that I'm missing. Pardon me for looking like an idiot.

The Postal Service is a music group (not very well known, so don't feel bad). The apple ad is a copy of a music video for their song "Such Great Heights"

I personally think the postal service is pretty good, and such great heights is a fine tune. It's a two person group and the singer is also the front man for death cab for cutie, a band which, ironically, I can't stand.

I think it would have been cool if they'd actually had such great heights on in the background.

Such great heights (a cover of it anyways) is used in an add for M&M's.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

The Postal Service is a music group (not very well known, so don't feel bad).

Yes, it all makes more sense now. Maybe in the future stuff like this can be made a bit more clear for those of us not in the know. I'd hate to reply to a thread entitled "Anybody like Chinese Food?" when the author is really talking about a TV show or something.

\

Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Such great heights (a cover of it anyways) is used in an add for M&M's.

Yes, and that version (by Iron & Wine) is also on the Garden State movie soundtrack. That's where I first learned of the song.
  • Reply 16 of 73
    I can see how Apple might not have known of the video. That this puts "Jake and Xander" in a very bad light, though. I can't imagine many people wanting to work with them after this.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Do you have any evidence that Apple specifically requested a copy of the music video, or knew it was so similar?

Apple is a big company, and big companies do research before hiring directors for a multi-million dollar campaign ad. Either that, or, coupled with Lugz, this is one string of some incredible coincidences.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    Quote:

Apple is a big company, and big companies do research before hiring directors for a multi-million dollar campaign ad. Either that, or, coupled with Lugz, this is one string of some incredible coincidences.

"No" would have been more succinct.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

"No" would have been more succinct.

So, you're Apple, and you want to hire a director (in this case two) for a very important ad that you want to use to announce your transition to Intel chips, and you don't even research the prior work of the directors you hired? You have no idea what they did? You don't ask for a resume, portfolio? You just grab some guy off the street and tell him to shoot an ad for you multi-million dollar campaign?

It seems a little strange to me that Apple had no idea what these guys did before they were hired. If they did, and this most certainly means they were aware of that video they shot for Postal Service, then they clearly gave them permission to re-create their work, all the way to the tiniest detail, to be re-used on the "new" ad.

Or it could be a string of unbelievable coincidences too. The directores forgot about the video they shot for Postal Service, and Apple never bothered to ask them for a portfolio. Lugz is actually the secret name for Apple and they specialize in iPod Boots. It's possible.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    In reality Jonathan Ives shot both the video and the commercial (notice his signature white) in an attempt to broaden his field. He made the video to gain enough experience to make a perfect commercial.