Name the New PowerMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The new powerbook got the awful name of "MacBook Pro". It's not even a book!

Does this mean the new intel powerMac will be named "MacDesktop Pro"??? Nothing could be worse. Maybe since it has an Intel processor it will be called InMac Pro. It all seems horrible.

Looking for suggestions.........

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    hey the powerbook was called the powerbook, and lets face it, it was neither powerful nor a book.

I still dont see why the left the power name behind it was so much better (and its not because they were powerpc processors, the had the name powerbook before that!)

stu
  • Reply 2 of 74
    I'm personally kind of disappointed that they released the intel iMac as an iMac, I was hoping they'd change the name to Macintosh (an all-in-one design just like the original macintosh!) and call the PowerMacs something like Macintosh Pro
  • Reply 3 of 74
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Mac Pro

If logic should prevail it should be named MacMac Pro but thats just silly.

Code:

iMac | Mac Pro

----------------

iBook | MacBook Pro

• Reply 4 of 74
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Anders' taxonomy looks good to me. All names contain "Mac". My surmise is that the Mac Pro will move to lower price points, using Conroe-type chips rather than Xeons, and be a small minitower, leaving no space between the iMac and it, as Anders shows.

I'm hoping they'll consider some kind of small form factor machine, either shuttle-like or like Dell & HP small machines. A bigger Mac mini perhaps.
  • Reply 5 of 74
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Mac Pro

If logic should prevail it should be named MacMac Pro but thats just silly.

I was just thinking that. MacMac. Awesome. This just makes me believe even more than I did before that "MacBook Pro" is a stupid name. A placeholder name...
  • Reply 6 of 74
    neilwneilw Posts: 77member
    What about "MacStation Pro"? Ungainly, but follows the ungainly lead of the ungainly "MacBook Pro". Just plain "Mac Pro" seems too clipped.
  • Reply 7 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Anders' taxonomy looks good to me. All names contain "Mac".

'cept iBook...I think the iBook will be getting a name change.

The iMacBook perhaps?

And hopefully people will start writing iMac/iMacBook books.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    Wait, what do you guys think of this?

Macintosh Mini -- MacBook Mini (subnotebook)

iMac(?? it would make so much more sense if it were just Macintosh) -- MacBook

Macintosh Pro -- MacBook Pro

Maybe the Macintosh name is being held for a new consumer-tower or something?
  • Reply 9 of 74
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    ICAN-Mac

"The new ICAN-Mac... who needs electrons when you've got antimatter?

warning: ICAN-Mac may be unstable. If your ICAN-Mac and desk disappear, use the included CERN hotline for assistance."

http://www.engr.psu.edu/antimatter/images/ICAN-312.jpg

• Reply 10 of 74
    iBook becomes MacBook

Powerbook becomes MacBook Pro

iMac remains iMac (eventually just 'Mac' when redesigned)

Mac Mini remains MacMini

PowerMac becomes Mac Pro

Accomplishes the goal of having MAC in all product names AND is actually more informative/descriptive than the older terms.

The 'mac' is good enough for most users (Mac, Mac Mini, MacBook), but the PRO's need the PRO models (MacBook PRO, Mac PRO).

Enough said...

iPod is iPod, too much at stake to ever drop the i there...
  • Reply 11 of 74
    Perhaps they are saving the name "Macintosh" for 2009 on the silver anniversary of the release of the original Macintosh.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    What this new obsession with "Machintosh"?

Last time that was seen was on a G3 iBook with the old font. Its so yesterlast year.
  • Reply 13 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

iBook becomes MacBook

Powerbook becomes MacBook Pro

iMac remains iMac (eventually just 'Mac' when redesigned)

Mac Mini remains MacMini

PowerMac becomes Mac Pro

Accomplishes the goal of having MAC in all product names AND is actually more informative/descriptive than the older terms.

The 'mac' is good enough for most users (Mac, Mac Mini, MacBook), but the PRO's need the PRO models (MacBook PRO, Mac PRO).

Enough said...

iPod is iPod, too much at stake to ever drop the i there...

Agree
  • Reply 14 of 74
    Here's the line:

1.60: [Stays] PowerMac

3.10: Mac Pro

12.00: Macintosh Pro

51.00: MacDesktop Pro

67.00: MacStation Pro

101.00: MacMac Pro

For those that aren't gamblers. . . you'll have to figure it out.

I'll be the bookie. $300 max payout.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    Mac Pro sounds reasonable but dull. What about Pro Mac? though it sounds like prozac.

I never thought the Intel transition was a mistake until just now.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I like The Macintosh Pro.

Reason. It put's the Mac name first, and you hear the full name again which we have not seen in a while, and has been missed.

ProMac I came up with first (AFAIK) over a year ago trying to come up with a name for new super highend workstation Mac. But as stated elsewhere. It rhymes withy ProZac which Apple will probably notice too. (I missed it when I thought it up)

Macintosh Pro, or Pro Macintosh I think sound the best. What Apple does is their choice. I do miss the full Macintosh name a lot though.
  • Reply 17 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I like The Macintosh Pro.

Reason. It put's the Mac name first, and you hear the full name again which we have not seen in a while, and has been missed.

ProMac I came up with first (AFAIK) over a year ago trying to come up with a name for new super highend workstation Mac. But as stated elsewhere. It rhymes withy ProZac which Apple will probably notice too. (I missed it when I thought it up)

Macintosh Pro, or Pro Macintosh I think sound the best. What Apple does is their choice. I do miss the full Macintosh name a lot though.

Heartily agreed. On another thread, this is the name I put forward, and probably several other people too.

I like just Macintosh, and I like Macintosh Pro.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    In my world

This is a Macintosh:

This is a Macintosh Pro (You know, a macintosh with fenders):

And this is a mac:

• Reply 19 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

What this new obsession with "Machintosh"?

Last time that was seen was on a G3 iBook with the old font. Its so yesterlast year.

I still use the term Mac, but I got tired of the way it became used, too. For example, "What about Mac? Is there no software for Mac?" It sounds like a person, like Mack, someone we know. That does show a closeness of heart to the platform, I realised, and so how can one quibble with that? And so the awkwardness of it passed. But is it nice to hear the original term, which Raskin coined. It relates back to Apple, so I find it refreshing.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    Quote:

the original post was by Anders

this variation is by me

In my world

This is a macintosh:

And this is a macintosh