My Trust In Apple's Been Shaken...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    I find the comments on buggy software interesting -- I've been using a Mac at home since '85, and Windows machines at work since '95 (Win95, 98, 2K, XP). I find Tiger the fastest, most stable OS out of the whole lot (although 2K was pretty good as well, but XP has retreated from that a little). The only Apple software I use that has more than its share of bugs is Xcode... but then MS Visual Studio isn't exactly a shining example of solid and robust code either.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smashbrosfan

I must admit my trust in them has been shaken quite a lot in the past year.

What have you been smoking man? Ask your dealer to stop selling you the cheap stuff.

Quote:

Jaguar ran that machine. Then I got Panther later on and was thrilled yet again. But then the bug ridden Tiger came out... I was under the delusion that Apple CARED about it's customers... What happened? I experenced multiple kernel panics a day. But then 10.4.1 and .2 came out and things got stable again, so I dismissed it. I thought "Okay, one realese that was a tad too early."

Every operating system has shipped loaded with bugs. There shouldn't be any that cause Kernel Panics or other serious issues, but some things just don't show up or get noticed until it's out in the wild. I'm sorry you had bad experience with the first incarnations of Tiger, but that doesn't mean Apple shipped an operating system that caused everyone's computers to kernel panic several times a day - you were just unfortunate enough to have some kind of configuration or combination of hardware and software they hadn't considered or weren't aware of. If they kept Tiger under testing for 10 years in labs they still couldn't possibly catch every bug - that's why they have the Feedback page. If they didn't have the Feedback page, then you'd know they didn't care about their customers.

Quote:

But now it's become clear that Apple's just getting greedy. They've been pushing the iPod like nothing else this last year, and the exclusion of a power adapter or dock is just disgraceful.

Although I'm not happy about Apple shortening the list of included accessories every time they refresh the iPod, I understand that it's a very competitive market and their competitors don't include that stuff. When Shoppers compare what $299 gets them in an MP3 player, they don't look at included accessories - just capacity and features. For Apple to include a Dock, Firewire cable, USB Cable, AC Adapter, Remote, and AV Cables means they can't compete as well on straight-up price, capacity, and core features. As it is, they are now considered to have the best features and price on MP3 players.

Quote:

Then came the MacBook Pro... Everyone expected it, everyone wants one... But am I the ONLY one who senses something shady behind the release? I'm not sure what it is, I just have this nagging feeling it's still too early... Like Apple just released it to keep the general public quiet until it's "real" product is ready. There are little things that set red flags off in my head. Like the 60 lost pixels and the complete lack of supporting models. (12 & 17in.)

There's nothing shady about the MacBook Pro. The 60 less pixels is for two reasons: room for the iSIght and because it's now the standard size that all other PC Manufactures use for 15" widescreen displays. The reason there aren't 12" and 17" models yet is because they are either not ready yet, they are waiting for newer tech before they fill out the entire MacBook Pro line, or they just don't want three different products being pre-ordered for February when they probably won't be able to even meet the demand for the current MacBook Pro. Having that many products out for pre-order is bad business.

Quote:

We all know more are coming, but it seems to me that the MacBook Pro is underpowered, like Apple's waiting on those Memrons.

There is nothing underpowered about the MacBook Pro. It's faster than the PowerBook G4 could have ever been. It has legs to grow. And it's the exact same power every other PC manufacturer is offering right now. Of course Apple is waiting on Memrons, as is everyone else. But Dell, HP, Gateway, and Sony aren't going to sit out the Yonah processors and wait for Memrons - they're going to sell the best they can right now, and that's exactly what Apple is doing (that pesky .17Ghz faster Core Duo aside)

Quote:

Maybe Apple's just a little bit shaky in the PowerPC to Intel switch, but it seems like Apple's caring more and more about the money with their recent popularity explosion.

Apple is currently offering the best price/performance ratio they have ever had in their iMac and MacBook Pro offerings, and their Powermac G5 Quad is the fastest desktop computer you can buy. The iPod Nano and iPod are also the best price/performance of any MP3 player on the market. I fail to see how Apple is in any way caring more and more about money, unless of course you mean they appear actually be interested in making money by offering great products at completely acceptable prices.

So Chill, smashbrosfan
  • Reply 23 of 32
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    I always thought 'Merom' was a cruddy codename.

'Memron' is a lot cooler. Sounds like a bad 70s sci-fi alien, and all the better for it.

• Reply 24 of 32
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

That is, except for Aperture on a powerbook.

In fairness, isnt that like towing a yaught with a pinto?
  • Reply 25 of 32
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

you mean a Punto, right?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    I have experienced one or two kernel panics. But it has been long enough that I don't remember just how they came about. Some programme on an early version of OS X, earlier than Jaguar.

Yes, I think something is going on with Apple. They released a (power)Book, called a Mac Book (pro), and it has quickness. But they probably will come out with a new more powerful book later this year. That is OK with me. Then the iBook, or whatever Apple calls it, will likely receive the dual core Yonah.

Bide your time, and just get the Macintosh computers that really suit your needs. Apple is about marketing and selling goods, we just must acquire those goods that fit what we need. And looking for the best deal is what we shoppers have done since the days of ancient Sumeria, and earlier than that, one may suppose.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

you mean a Punto, right?

Pinto:

Didn't sell well in South America because the name was slang for "small penis".
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Surely the 60 pixel issue is simply due to Apple using an industry standard panel (1440x900) rather than the customized, one-off POS 1440x960 in the last generation PowerBook. Besides, until we get a user scalable UI I'd rather have 110 pixels per inch (the Macbook) than 114 (the PowerBook scan lines disaster) just for the sake of legibility.

The 1280x854 panel they've used the past several years -- also Apple-only -- is great, so I'm not necessarily knocking cuztomized parts. But no way was Apple going to risk a re-run of what has happened since October. As it is I suspect they're getting a better quality part for less money than the 960 line (or should I say 480 line-pairs) display.

I personally get the impression that after a very rough patch in 2003-04, Apple's quality has been improving very strongly again. But I agree; Tiger was a rushed release. That's why I haven't installed it yet on my PowerMac G4 (10.4.4 is ready though, I think, so it won't be long now).

Other than that, Apple has to keep a G4 or two in the lineup until pro applications are out in universal binary. Which makes total sense for the 17 inch model.

But I have to admit to the conspiracy theorists -- I was very surprised Apple did not replace the 12 inch Powerbook this time. My explanation for that? I predict that the 12 inch PB replacement is slated for an ultra low voltage version of the single-core processor Apple has in mind for the i(Mac)Book. But, of course, ULV single-core Yonah chips aren't out for another couple of months.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The reason for the one MacBook Pro is pretty simple.

The PowerBook line had 3 motherboards to support, the 12" PowerBook's , the 15" PowerBook's, and the 17" PowerBook's.

It takes time to develop these machines but Apple needed this transition to begin. The iMac was ready so it was released. The MacBook Pro was ready for demonstration so it was announced.

Apple is a technology company and technology changes roughly every six months (sometimes more drastically than we would expect). By this time next year, every Mac on the market will be replaced with an Intel based Mac. It's progress. I have little doubt that we will see an iMac upgrade in that time as well.

As for the iPod, Apple needs to keep it's momentum going with new features and that's why we're seeing a new iPod as often as we are. The inclusion of these new features increases the price of current iPods and that's one of the reasons we've seen the Dock not being included. Not everyone needs a Dock for their iPod either, and people are buying more iPods now than ever before even without a Dock.

Many people advise against buying Rev. A Macs. This has been going on since at least the late 1990s. As new products are released, the bugs are worked out and systems improve. This is the way it is with a new system or platform. Mac OS X is a prime example, getting better with every release. Mac OS X 10.0 had most of us booting in to Mac OS 9.2. Mac OS X 10.1 won over many more people, and Mac OS X 10.2 really marked the switch.

Intel Macs are going to be the same way, and Apple has even *forecast* that it expects issues in this transition. That's why the stock has tanked the past few days.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Apple is to slow to update.

Apple updated the line up too soon (aka right after I just bought one).

Apple underclocks their chips.

Apple overclocks their chips.

blah blah blah ... these whining threads just get silly sometimes.

Apple is in the business of selling us computers (and a bunch of those rectangular little noise makers as well). This means that they need to kep coming out with better machines to make those of us tha have old machines want to upgrade. They also have plenty of compition, which means they can't just wait on introducing new products if they are set to go.

The new iMac and Macbook are good, and desperately needed in the case of the MacBook, updates.

PS. if your having a lot of kernal panics than you should check your hardware (esp. memory as mentioned above).
  • Reply 31 of 32
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

That is, except for Aperture on a powerbook.

Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

yes. however, they advertise it to work on the PB G4 1.5

Well it does, if you only have 3 pictures and they are lo res.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I must admit my trust in them has been shaken quite a lot in the past year.

I used Windows since the days of Win 3.1. and was not only happy, I was downright giddy when I got my first taste of a Mac when I got my 1Ghz PB G4 a few years back.

Jaguar ran that machine. Then I got Panther later on and was thrilled yet again. But then the bug ridden Tiger came out... I was under the delusion that Apple CARED about it's customers... What happened? I experenced multiple kernel panics a day. But then 10.4.1 and .2 came out and things got stable again, so I dismissed it. I thought "Okay, one realese that was a tad too early."

But now it's become clear that Apple's just getting greedy. They've been pushing the iPod like nothing else this last year, and the exclusion of a power adapter or dock is just disgraceful.

Then came the MacBook Pro... Everyone expected it, everyone wants one... But am I the ONLY one who senses something shady behind the release? I'm not sure what it is, I just have this nagging feeling it's still too early...

Like Apple just released it to keep the general public quiet until it's "real" product is ready. There are little things that set red flags off in my head. Like the 60 lost pixels and the complete lack of supporting models. (12 & 17in.)

We all know more are coming, but it seems to me that the MacBook Pro is underpowered, like Apple's waiting on those Memrons.

The fact that Steve Jobs ended the Macworld Expo with "See you soon" just adds to all of this.

Maybe Apple's just a little bit shaky in the PowerPC to Intel switch, but it seems like Apple's caring more and more about the money with their recent popularity explosion.

My two cents.

~smashbroshfan

Ok this also the future hardware forum. This discussion belongs in current hardware, or general discussion.