Final Cut Studio Universal apps won't be sold separately

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Screw the purchase. Go to Cancun 8)8)
  • Reply 62 of 88
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Hmmm, NAB is only end of April (24th to 27th). So if you can wait until May, then it may be worth waiting. But things move so fast anyway, one could argue don't buy anything from Apple ever!

So it seems clear Apple wants to move everyone to Final Cut Studio 5.x PowerPC and Final Cut Studio 5.x UniversalBinary, by end of April. It still is unclear as to why

I have to admit I am not in the income-generating prosumer/pro video industry, so I don't know how this industry schedules its upgrades. As for students moving into the industry, it can be hella confusing... especially with Avid for Mac still only handling standard def. and AFAIK with no clear timeline for Avid for Mac high def. universal binary.

Ah, f***** it let's just buy a PC and use Adobe Premiere Elements!!
  • Reply 63 of 88
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Yeah, but if DVD Studio Pro 5 supports BluRay and HD-DVD, I'll have to spend $$$ to upgrade the whole suite just to get it even though I don't care about FCP 6 or Motion 3 or whatever.

Call me crazy but wouldnt you want, I DUNNO, A blueray or HDDVD burner and blank media, and maybe, just maybe a consumer level PLAYER on the market.

You can make HDDVD content till the end of time but it is sorta pointless if you can not use it.
  • Reply 64 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Call me crazy but wouldnt you want, I DUNNO, A blueray or HDDVD burner and blank media, and maybe, just maybe a consumer level PLAYER on the market.

You can make HDDVD content till the end of time but it is sorta pointless if you can not use it.

It was just an example, a_greer.

If your videos are simple but your DVDs are complex (again, this is just an example), then you might only upgrade FCP every 2 or 3 versions but upgrade DVD SP every version. A DVD SP upgrade was only $199. An FCP Studio upgrade will be $499? $699?

At least with Adobe you have a choice. You can buy the suite if you want, or not.
  • Reply 65 of 88
    Quote:

It was just an example, a_greer.

If your videos are simple but your DVDs are complex (again, this is just an example), then you might only upgrade FCP every 2 or 3 versions but upgrade DVD SP every version. A DVD SP upgrade was only $199. An FCP Studio upgrade will be $499? $699?

At least with Adobe you have a choice. You can buy the suite if you want, or not.

They have said that they will not make full versions standalone, but that doesnt mean that once the intel binaries ship you cant upgrade one app at a time, as they didnt specificly say that all upgrades are all-or-none. allthough I really would hesitate to do that as integrated and co-dependent as apps like this can be.
  • Reply 66 of 88
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Am I the only one who thinks this is stupid on Apple's part?

Sure, it's a great deal for consumers, but what's in it for Apple? People who want those tools are going to buy them anyway and can afford to do so. All I see is less revenue for Apple.

The only way Apple benefits is if there is this huge, untapped resource of would-be pro-users who were waiting for this bundle to become reality. I don't see it.

You price something too low and you end up killing a product like Live Picture.

*shrug*
  • Reply 67 of 88
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    They're already pissing off customers by switching to Intel and the products no longer available as individual programs. To reduce the anger and frustration of the customers who have to switch to Universal Binaries - or upgrade to Final Cut Studio, Apple is making it as easy as possible.

They will also sell more copies of Final Cut Studio. I mean I would never pay £900 for a video app but as I can get it for £200 it will be very easy for me to become dependant on it.

Apple is not only keeping their customers happy by making the universal switch as easy as possible but they're also making their pro apps very cheap.
  • Reply 68 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Apple is not only keeping their customers happy by making the universal switch as easy as possible but they're also making their pro apps very cheap.

True: I remember when apple had Final cut pro for $999 and Cinema Tools for $999, that is $2000 for film prep, then one day they rolled it all into one, had this been announced before the price was, the reaction would be much the same as the one in this thread. but they priced it with Cinematools and all at the same $999 so who is to say that the whole suit cant be sold for $999 or maybe less and an "express suit" made availible for folks like me who dont need the pro features like Cinema tools but want a lot more than iLife can offer for say $399?
  • Reply 69 of 88
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    I think it's a bad move, but a sweet deal for anybody thinking of buying the suite anytime soon. maybe their expecting the universal version to be a beta of some kind.

just bought soundtrack pro on amazon for $299. Upgrade is $199. that's about $500 for a $1299 suite. Am i missing something? Hope somebody didn't make a mistake when they put the announcement up on the apple web site.

• Reply 70 of 88
    Is it true that even a Motion-to-Motion 2-upgrade (about $ 93.-) qualifies for the universal version of FCS?

Forum Mac Observer
  • Reply 71 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris_here

Is it true that even a Motion-to-Motion 2-upgrade (about $ 93.-) qualifies for the universal version of FCS?

Forum Mac Observer

Yes - but you then legally need to own Motion 1, if you don't then there's no point buying Final Cut Pro - get it illegally as well.
  • Reply 72 of 88
    O.k., but if Apple doesn't want people to go this way (buy the Motion2 upgrade, get the FCS package) why don't they just simply ask upgraders to send in the original disk (i.e. Motion) PLUS the upgrade disk (i.e. Motion 2 Upgrade) to get the $ 199.- FinalCutStudio?

Is it illegal? I'm not so sure. After all it's like they invite people to do it this - really cheap- way me thinks, it wouldn't hurt anybody to send in two disks instead of just one, right?
  • Reply 73 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris_here

O.k., but if Apple doesn't want people to go this way (buy the Motion2 upgrade, get the FCS package) why don't they just simply ask upgraders to send in the original disk (i.e. Motion) PLUS the upgrade disk (i.e. Motion 2 Upgrade) to get the $ 199.- FinalCutStudio?

Is it illegal? I'm not so sure. After all it's like they invite people to do it this - really cheap- way me thinks, it wouldn't hurt anybody to send in two disks instead of just one, right?

Look maybe it's 'possible' to do it - it's also possible to install an illegal version. Apple's Motion agreement states that Motion 2 Upgrade requires Motion 1. Final Cut Studio Upgrade requires Motion 2 (Upgrade or normal) or any other current app. This means if you buy Motion 2 Upgrade (without Motion) and swap it for Final Cut Studio you will not have a legal version of Final Cut Studio. I don't know why Apple doesn't want both disks. They don't require proof of purchases for the upgrade version either.

I personally would never pay money for anything which is not legal - seems like a waste to me.
  • Reply 74 of 88
    Anyone already received their Universal Version?
  • Reply 75 of 88
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Apple has a week or so left to make do with FCPS and Aperture UBs... seems like they are rushing to get it done or have had it done for a while and are planning something special... but wtf you'd think they would release it ASAP considering so many individuals like myself aren't even attempting to hack the current FCPS to run on Intel Macs.
  • Reply 76 of 88
    Apple still hasn't budged from their estimated 31st March stance. Since I was expecting it early I'm a little disappointed, however, at least it hasn't been delayed ... yet!
  • Reply 77 of 88
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Clap your hands. Final Cut Studio is now Universal. The system requirements are listed on the right. Sadly, Motion will not run on Intel Integrated Graphics. Here's hoping Apple comes out with at least one laptop under $2,000 that has a real graphics card.
  • Reply 78 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Clap your hands. Final Cut Studio is now Universal. The system requirements are listed on the right. Sadly, Motion will not run on Intel Integrated Graphics. Here's hoping Apple comes out with at least one laptop under $2,000 that has a real graphics card.

Great news that it's out, or almost out (mine isn't shipping yet).

But you really weren't expecting to run Final Cut Studio on a computer that costs less than the software, were you?
  • Reply 79 of 88
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Great news that it's out, or almost out (mine isn't shipping yet).

But you really weren't expecting to run Final Cut Studio on a computer that costs less than the software, were you?

I was hoping so, yes. I spoke with an Apple rep shortly after the Mac Mini was released and asked if Motion would be supported by Intel Integrated Graphics once it went Universal. He said that while they didn't know for sure yet, it looked promsing considering it supported Core Graphics. Now we know it doesn't. I could honestly care less if the Mac Mini can run it, but most people agree the iBook-replacement will house the same Intel-Integrated Graphics. I'm planning to pick up a portable as a secondary machine this year, and don't want to spend $2,000 just so Motion can be installed. But a laptop that can't understand all the file types that my main system can won't do me much good. I'm rooting for a portable from Apple in the $1,499 range that is supported by Motion. I don't think that's too much ot ask.
  • Reply 80 of 88
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

I was hoping so, yes. I spoke with an Apple rep shortly after the Mac Mini was released and asked if Motion would be supported by Intel Integrated Graphics once it went Universal. He said that while they didn't know for sure yet, it looked promsing considering it supported Core Graphics. Now we know it doesn't. I could honestly care less if the Mac Mini can run it, but most people agree the iBook-replacement will house the same Intel-Integrated Graphics. I'm planning to pick up a portable as a secondary machine this year, and don't want to spend $2,000 just so Motion can be installed. But a laptop that can't understand all the file types that my main system can won't do me much good. I'm rooting for a portable from Apple in the $1,499 range that is supported by Motion. I don't think that's too much ot ask.

Cory, just out of curiosity, if such a laptop proved to be a small form factor Macbook Pro (like a 12" powerbook replacement) would that serve your needs?

I ask because it seems like a bit of a double bind-- the default pro notebook that would be the natural candidate to run pro (read video and digital imaging) apps is $2K, but it seems that the only place Apple has to go to get a cheaper pro 'book on the market is a smaller screen size, which works against running pro apps.

Setting up a $2k buy-in point for mobile pro apps seems foolish on Apple's part, and a good way to not sell a bunch of laptops. However, it would be very un-Apple like to at this point introduce a 15" Macbook Pro that had a reduced feature set at a lower price.