PowerBook DVI - Screen Question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My PowerBook screen has a greenish-blue cast to it. Nothing totally earth shattering, but to me, it's annoying.

I had a Rev. A PowerBook and I didn't have this problem. I have tried to calibrate it in the Displays pref, and nothing really gets rid of the overall cast when all's set and done. The picture lacks warmth.

I'm at a loss as to what to do, since it's 12:35 AM ET, I'm tired, and can't find anything out there on the net and in forums that really address the problem...that's why I turn to my trusty folks here at the AI forums! Do I call Apple (since I ordered it from them)?

Thanks for any help you could give me in this regard.

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: Dave Hagan ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    All right, it's morning now, and I've done some comparison. The PowerBook is really olivey color compared to a regular 17-in. CRT, an iMac CRT, and Apple Studio Display. I'm comparing the white on the screen to the PowerBook G4. I think it's gotta go back.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    allall Posts: 27member
    Well, then send it back. Do you have any side-by-side pictures?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Here's a side by side comparison:

Note: the background monitor is a 15-inch Studio Display, and the foreground is a Rev. C PowerBook G4 667 MHz.

Now, I did call Apple Tech Support Saturday afternoon regarding this problem, and they ran me through a series of tests. Nothing changed the overall color of the screen. The color was still off. So, they sent me shipping tags to sent the unit back, and I will get a replacement in the next 4 to 7 business days...I'll keep you aprised.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    It's hard to tell from the photo, but are you sure there is anything wrong with it? PowerBook screens are much darker than CRTs or the studio display flatscreens due to the limited power of the backlight.

I'm often surprised at just how a big a difference there is when I see my Powerbook side by side with the Cinema display. It looks fine on its own but when compared against a desktop monitor it always looks quite shabby, and the photo you posted doesn't suggest anything out of the ordinary to me.

Socrates

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: Socrates ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ti xti x Posts: 32member
    One last thing before you send it back...

I find that the calibration software that comes with the TiBook sucks. There is a free app for calibration that you can find at Versiontracker called SuperCal which is far more accurate. Try it, I promise you will be surprised.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    photoeditorphotoeditor Posts: 244member
    I think part of the problem has to do with your laptop (like all laptops) not being as bright as the Studio Display -- part of the color shift is grayness and dimness; however, that screen does seem a little green compared to the four or five I saw at our local Apple Store. It wouldn't entirely surprise me if there is something to do with your backlight -- either it's defective or not turned up enough.

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: photoeditor ]</p>