Apple shows Intel-native Logic 7.2 at NAMM

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
As part of its exhibition at National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) trade show this week in Aniheim, Calif., Apple Computer could be seen demonstrating a new version of its Logic music composition and production software designed to run natively on the first Intel Macs.

The company also said it is ahead of schedule developing the application and plans to release the software as Logic Pro 7.2 next month.

According to a report from Macworld, Logic?s performance seemed much faster running on the new Intel Macs than with PowerPC-based machines.

"The performance is stunning and has met my already high expectations," Dr. Gerhard Lengeling, Apple senior director and lead architect audio applications said.

The company was performing the Logic demos on a pre-production MacBook Pro laptop. During one demo, Apple?s Bob Hunt was reportedly running video, with thumbnails, music and a dozen or more high-end effects.

"None of these sessions would even run on a PowerBook," said Hunt, comparing the new Intel-based MacBook Pro to the PowerBook.

Logic's evolution to a Intel-native application won't be the only change users will notice, according to Macworld. Logic Pro 7.2 will also reportedly feature integrated support for the new Apogee Ensemble interface; Digidesign Pro Tools HD 7 DAE support; Serato Pitch ?n Time support; Improved Rewire support; Enhanced Control Surfaces support; and 32-channel support for multi-channel Audio Units instruments.

The application also adds compatibility with GarageBand 3 through new support for playback of compressed files; a Ducking plug-in; a speech enhancement plug-in; and the same jingles and sounds effects found in GarageBand.

Owners of Logic 7.1 may upgrade to Logic 7.2 for Intel via a $49 crossgrade upgrade package Apple will begin offering in February.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Hmmm, when might Apple show a new iPod if they'd designed one?

Hmmm.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by ginner

Hmmm, when might Apple show a new iPod if they'd designed one?

Hmmm.

it said iPod products...

of course, there'll probably be a new iPod Shuffle, since I JUST bought one for my brother.

But this is the wrong forum for this.......
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

it said iPod products...

of course, there'll probably be a new iPod Shuffle, since I JUST bought one for my brother.

But this is the wrong forum for this.......

Oh good, I want a shuffle. A music industry show seems like an excellent place to introduce a new music device.

Oh, and forgive me, I'm a noob, I saw this on the front page, I wasn't to know I'd end up somewhere I shouldn't be.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Good stuff.

Shame I have the musical talent of roadkill.

But it is promising that Apple are getting their professional applications converted to intel native binaries on or before schedule.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    I love the control over sound that Logic offers, but it's waaaaaay too much for my audio needs. I do love both GarageBand and SoundtrackPro. Wonderful production-oriented programs that can get you close to 95% of a professional sound. It's that last 5% that's the killer.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I know a lot of people have complained about the $49 just for a new disc, but two positives:

1. If you upgrade for your new Intel Mac, you're at least getting a new version with new features, not just a Universal copy of what you already had. Even people staying with PPC for now may want those features for $49, and you'll be paying no more than them.

2. Since the new version IS Universal, those PPC upgraders will get a version that will run on PPC but will also later run on an Intel Mac. No further exchange needed.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

I love the control over sound that Logic offers, but it's waaaaaay too much for my audio needs. I do love both GarageBand and SoundtrackPro. Wonderful production-oriented programs that can get you close to 95% of a professional sound. It's that last 5% that's the killer.

Ableton Live is my favorite. So easy and intuitive to use, and not overwhelming for a new user. And it's not the program, it's the audio engineering skills which will get you the good sound. You can find and use quality VST and AU plug-ins with any host program. It's how well you use them that counts.

Anyways, good to see that some native Intel apps should be availble soon after I get my MacBook Pro. I'm still expecting about 6 months or so of not really seeing the full potential of it though.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Anyone able to give a heads up on whether or not you get the complete 'box' or is it just a cd you're given?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kaiwai

Anyone able to give a heads up on whether or not you get the complete 'box' or is it just a cd you're given?

When I bought the 7.1 update (The .1 of it) all I got was a CD mailer package with a shipping statement, CD with cover, and those silly tiny print "do not copy" flyers. However, I was not told that when I bought Logic Express 7, it already came with the .1 of it, so I sold it off. But at least now they're good about updating products that will be updated. On the site and at the time of ordering, it was just labeled as LE 7.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    I was in San Francisco this summer and bought Logic for my laptop. This was months after 7.1 was released. Well the box had 7.0 in it and I was screwed. I couldn't believe it. The people at the store were understanding, but couldn't do anything. So the thought of shelling out another whatever to get another update disk doesn't please me. Besides, when are we going to get a real Apple app. (see other thread)
  • Reply 11 of 24
    The .1 update was only 19.99 for me (I can't remember if that was bought with an educational discount, or if there was none available).
  • Reply 12 of 24
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I hope most of the audio apps get ported soon. I want a macbook, but it is pointless for me to get one until Digital Performer and Pro Tools get updated.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    I just bought Logic 7.1 Pro for my Powerbook on a Education Discount, I was concerned when Jobs announced the universal thing that I wouldn't be able to upgrade Logic and instead have to re-buy the full version, but I think from what I should be able to buy the $49 crossgrade disc.

Anyone know for sure, I tried calling Apple about it but I couldn't get a hold of anyone :S
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by junebughunter

I just bought Logic 7.1 Pro for my Powerbook on a Education Discount, I was concerned when Jobs announced the universal thing that I wouldn't be able to upgrade Logic and instead have to re-buy the full version, but I think from what I should be able to buy the $49 crossgrade disc.

Anyone know for sure, I tried calling Apple about it but I couldn't get a hold of anyone :S

You can buy that .2 disc when it's available so that your Logic will run on Intel, and have the new features. Or so that's what everyone's saying on the music forums I'm on. And I'm in the same situation as you. In fact, the .1 I believe was never thought as an education thing anyways, even though I bought Logic with an educational discount.

EDIT:

From Apple's site it only looks like it's for Logic Pro. Oh well, I'll get there one day, when I have an Intel Mac that can run Pro-level stuff.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hattig

Good stuff.

Shame I have the musical talent of roadkill.

Heheheh. You and me both.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    I wish I could get a new iMac but I have a feeling it's going to have to wait until the end of this year...it's probably better that way anyway...I'll look forward to Logic 7.2 I'm curious to see how well the rewire support is improved
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

When I bought the 7.1 update (The .1 of it) all I got was a CD mailer package with a shipping statement, CD with cover, and those silly tiny print "do not copy" flyers. However, I was not told that when I bought Logic Express 7, it already came with the .1 of it, so I sold it off. But at least now they're good about updating products that will be updated. On the site and at the time of ordering, it was just labeled as LE 7.

Making the case for dongles, are we?

gc
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by GordonComstock

Making the case for dongles, are we?

gc

I don't understand, it didn't come with a dongle, for it was LE.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

I hope most of the audio apps get ported soon. I want a macbook, but it is pointless for me to get one until Digital Performer and Pro Tools get updated.

Well, protools will be slow to upgrade and expencive, I say look for an announcement at NAMM next year, and keep saving your pennies, it will be pricey, but that is how DIgidesign rolls i guess.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

I don't understand, it didn't come with a dongle, for it was LE.

So...

do you now own LE or did you sell your copy?

gc