Using the Canon XL2 to videotape indoors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was using the Canon XL2 to shoot some video indoors. It was during a party and the band performing didn't have much light on them. The lights were low in the whole place and when I reviewed the video the next day it was dark...

Is there anything I could have done to prevent this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    I heard that the canon's have a problem picking up indoor well when it's not well-lit? is that true or is that true for any camcorder?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

I was using the Canon XL2 to shoot some video indoors. It was during a party and the band performing didn't have much light on them. The lights were low in the whole place and when I reviewed the video the next day it was dark...

Is there anything I could have done to prevent this?

I find myself shooting videos at work from time to time where the room has low light and there is a powerpoint that is to be in the frame (sometimes it is easier to get the screen behind the speaker than to add it in post when you are on a rediculusly tight schedule) , I use a Panasonic that is equivelant to the GL2 and I have found the best way to set things up in low light situations is to use a CRT tv or video display as a monitor, while a little cumbersome, it is worth the trouble for the quality as I have found the viewfinder a little less accurate than I would like as far as color and brightness in dark or odd light situations.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I'm assuming you adjusted the gain up? If you have, and it's dark - there just isn't enough light. A camera can't pick up what it can't see.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Everything was on Auto...DOH! I was looking at the camera a fwe seconds ago and noticed that the dial on the lens that says 1/32 and 1/16 was between 1/16 and OFF...when I turned it to off it got brighter...I don't know what the heck i'm doing...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Everything was on Auto...DOH! I was looking at the camera a fwe seconds ago and noticed that the dial on the lens that says 1/32 and 1/16 was between 1/16 and OFF...when I turned it to off it got brighter...I don't know what the heck i'm doing...

For the sake of you and your customers, please take some time this weekend to RTFM, these things really arent that bad when you know what you are doing.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    You have a Canon XL2 and you don't even know how to use the thing? WTF? If you are not a professional why didn't you just buy a cheaper camera. If you didn't know what the iris and gain are, then I doubt you will ever figure out half of the features on the XL2.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Hahahahahaha..First of all, I'm NOT a professional...but the best part is, I DIDN'T buy the camera..it belongs to the place where I work...they got it because they were able to buy it and now I have the chance to use it...

basically I'm learning on the fly...and I WANT to leanr how to use it properly so THAT'S why I'm asking....

so WTF????

how many people get the chance to do something they like to do without losing an arm or a leg to do it? so, help me out here man. My window of opportunity is here and I'm jumping through!!!! Hahahahahahaha...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=411657

I spent 4 years and too much money to get a degree is video production. the least you can do is spend $40 and read a book.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Is this a good book? there are a million and a half books out there on filmmaking...I happen to have a bunch of them but not that one...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Is this a good book? there are a million and a half books out there on filmmaking...I happen to have a bunch of them but not that one...

I don't know, they are all pretty much the same. I haven't actually read any of it, but it has an xl?, whatever that is good for.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I don't have the XL2, I have the GL2. When recording in low light with spotlights around a stage , what I do is zoom in on the subject. Even in auto settings this will correct the lighting quickly. You might also might want check out another forum VideoUniversity . You will be able to get more info there for what you trying. There is a lot that you can do in iMovie to make up for small times of poor pictures. As for reading the manual....I like to play with the equipment first. Most things are the same for most cameras. After about of week of playing I will then read the manual. This way you can get a better feel what you are reading. Depending on the length of time that you are recording a tripod or monopod will also make your videos better

reg
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Does anyone know anything about American Cinematographer magazine?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    Quote:

Does anyone know anything about American Cinematographer magazine?

American Cinematographer is a great magazine. If you are just starting out it will be a bit confusing. Great articles on how the pros do their work. it mostly focuses on people who are interested in being Director of Cinematography.

If you are shooting in the dark, never shoot in auto. Go manual and set it to the lowest f-stop and slower aperture. Don't use the LCD use the viewfinder.

Just go out and shoot with the camera under different crcumstances (ie bright day, cloudy, indoors, etc). try different settings and mark it down. When you bring it in to the computer you will know what works best for what. is the best way to learn.