Why is task switching dependent on the dock's availability?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Panther has this incredibly stupid design whereby task/application switching is inextricably tied to the Dock. If for some reason the Dock is not available or not responding, well tough luck: you can't switch tasks either! You have to wait until the Dock is responsive again, or you have to kill the Dock altogether (risking taking the entire UI along with it).

Please tell me this isn't the case anymore in Tiger.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    By "switching tasks," do you mean Command-Tab?

Sometimes, my dock gets screwy and I can't minimize windows, but Command-Tab still works.

I'm running 10.4.4 on an iBook G3.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by speed_the_collapse

By "switching tasks," do you mean Command-Tab?

Sometimes, my dock gets screwy and I can't minimize windows, but Command-Tab still works.

Yes CMD-TAB.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

Yes CMD-TAB.

The dock is really just an application. When it freezes, everything it does?including Command-Tab and Dashboard also stop working.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

The dock is really just an application. When it freezes, everything it does?including Command-Tab and Dashboard also stop working.

err.. and that's supposed to make it any more acceptable? that's exactly my point.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

err.. and that's supposed to make it any more acceptable? that's exactly my point.

Oh... I actually didn't read your first post at all. I just assumed you were a noob.

Sorry :P
  • Reply 6 of 10
    imhoimho Posts: 30member
    Have you tried Ctrl+F4 to cycle through the open windows?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    For me when the dock crashes I can still use cmd-tab. But...my dock almost never crashes.......
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by imho

Have you tried Ctrl+F4 to cycle through the open windows?

LOL.

CMD-tilde.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

LOL.

CMD-tilde.

nope, the original poster is right: CTL-F4. Yours only switches between the current app's windows. His switches between all your open windows (across all apps). Nifty (but a wrist twister on a laptop: CMD-SHFT-fn-F4 phew!)
  • Reply 10 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Yeah, I get that problem too, but generally just with Safari. I quit and relaunch Safari and I can minimize again. My machine's specs are a completely different.