Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
is there possiblity of iMac 23"?

Core Duo 2.0Ghz

1GB DDR2 667 RAM

500GB SATA HDD

256MB X1600 ATI Graphics

$1999

are the prices of 23" came down heavily?, ACD 23" priced at $1299, APPLE may decide to use 24" Cheaper panels from Samsung than from LG-Philips

it will be nice to have

17" iMac - $1299

20" iMac - $1699

23/24" iMac - $1999

slight drop in prices for 17" and 20",

then 17" iMac becomes new emac for the Education market

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    when form factors (size, heat, noise) of computers keep coming down, the iMac will be the new PowerMac

iMac - Desktop computer (vertically aligned)

MacBook - Notebook computer

possible in three years time
  • Reply 2 of 52
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    IMHO the iMac, in its current form factor, would look silly with a 23" screen. Imagine the size of that chin!

But... since the Intel iMacs now sport a DVI output and desktop spanning, you can simply add a 23" Cinema Display to the 17" or 20" model.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    but but, in the economic sense, it could be big difference gettng 20" iMac and then adding 23" additional (is it not that market of PM with dual display for Pro Users)
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by dglow

IMHO the iMac, in its current form factor, would look silly with a 23" screen. Imagine the size of that chin!

It wouldnt need to be any thicker than now, in fact it would appear smaller as the screen got wider.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    indeed it will be great machine, like the iMac value for money!

also with 23", the Big empty panel with Apple logo will be smaller something like the Logo in Cinema Display, i kinda of did not like the Big Apple Logos (rather big plastic panel space) on the iMacs

but i am happy with my 20" Cinema Display though.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    How about a 30" iMac?

You could replace a PowerMac with one of those. A 30" diagonal case would have more than enough room for two SATA drive bays and the big, honking video card. Maybe even a PCIe slot. Imagine a PowerMac without the bulky tower...
  • Reply 7 of 52
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

is there possiblity of iMac 23"?

I think it is a matter of time. Oh, and of price too. As always, Apple would not risk such an offer with limited margins. They would wait the 23" displays to come down in price first. But I cannot say at what rate the prices drop now.

Furthermore, the new Core Duo chips (or the Merom ones later), combined with the Radeon X1600, offer more than enough power for h.264 decoding, even 1080p. From this point of view, it would make perfect sense a 23" display at 1920 x 1200 resolution. Besides the new GPU is powerful enough to drive such a high resolution screen for other tasks too.

Of course the idea of a 20" iMac G4 back in its day, looked silly. Just as silly seems now the idea of a 23" model.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kolchak

How about a 30" iMac?

You could replace a PowerMac with one of those. A 30" diagonal case would have more than enough room for two SATA drive bays and the big, honking video card. Maybe even a PCIe slot. Imagine a PowerMac without the bulky tower...

not so soon, iMac 23" first, then slowly to 30"

30" will be pricey, is not for every one, 23" is already big and heavy!
  • Reply 9 of 52
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    This is from the iMac Technical Overview brochure that's posted on Apple's iMac page.

It gives you a pretty good idea that any 23-inch iMac can do with out the white space below the display.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    That's nice! DHagan4755
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

It gives you a pretty good idea that any 23-inch iMac can do with out the white space below the display.

Do you mean that a 23" model would not have the "chin"?
  • Reply 12 of 52
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

This is from the iMac Technical Overview brochure that's posted on Apple's iMac page.

But then you lose the speakers, so the iMac becomes less All-in-one.

How about something completely different. A 23" display like in the picture, except that it has all the connection holes on the back like the iMac. These connections are wired through the foot to a special connector on the foot, where you can plug in a Mini.

The mini will get power, USB ports, Ethernet and of course screen from this connector. It will supply its own bluetooth and wifi, although the foot can serve as antenna.

This way, when your computer is no longer snappy, you replace the Mini and you're done. Of course, if you don't want a Mini, you connect a regular Mac and everything works. You won't even see the connectors since they're on the back.
  • Reply 13 of 52
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Do you mean that a 23" model would not have the "chin"?

Apple logo will be much smaller, it is not about the Logo, it is about big plastic panel... like the cinema display... you hardly will notice the frames around it, i have one i think that nice than big white panel
  • Reply 15 of 52
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

when form factors (size, heat, noise) of computers keep coming down, the iMac will be the new PowerMac

NOPE: if you are a real pro then you need expantion slots, and desktop ram (DIMMs, not so-dims), you need fast IO expantion busses, PCIE is better for certin types of things than FW. there is a need for two (or more, in many cases more) HDDs internaly, there is a need to be able to change the graphics cards. and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - SOME PEOPLE LIKE TO USE MANY SYSTEMS ON A SINGLE KVM SETUP!!!!!!

Also, the Core duo is a laptop chip, I would look for a dual pentium D (or equivilant) system for a Mac tower. just how would you fit that into an iMac?
  • Reply 16 of 52
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by synp

I like Apple as much as the next guy, but really, who uses the janky ass built in speakers on desktop Apples? The only time bult in speakers matter is in laptops and those are usualy slightly higher quality
  • Reply 17 of 52
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I like Apple as much as the next guy, but really, who uses the janky ass built in speakers on desktop Apples? The only time bult in speakers matter is in laptops and those are usualy slightly higher quality

I use them all the time. I think they're decent quality. I stream my music to Airport Express and I like having the other sounds piped through the iMac speakers. And when I hook up my Sirius to the computer speakers, the iMac ones get the job done when I want to listen to both at the same time.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

NOPE: if you are a real pro then you need expantion slots, and desktop ram (DIMMs, not so-dims), you need fast IO expantion busses, PCIE is better for certin types of things than FW. there is a need for two (or more, in many cases more) HDDs internaly, there is a need to be able to change the graphics cards. and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - SOME PEOPLE LIKE TO USE MANY SYSTEMS ON A SINGLE KVM SETUP!!!!!!

Also, the Core duo is a laptop chip, I would look for a dual pentium D (or equivilant) system for a Mac tower. just how would you fit that into an iMac?

I think the point is that the bigger the screen gets on the imac, the more room is available in the case for extra/larger components such as desktop ram, multiple hard drives, etc. With a 30" panel, I don't think it's that far fetched in 5 years.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by synp

If they have more room behind, I am sure they would be able to fit some speakers in.

The thing i'm more worried about is loosing that post-it-note space. Stickies are no substitute for the real thing.

Stu
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

The thing i'm more worried about is loosing that post-it-note space. Stickies are no substitute for the real thing.

Now that's funny. I remember the moment when the first generation iMac G5 saw the light of the day how negatively people reacted to the "chin". We even heard things like Leno-iMac. Now this, under the display, space has its own uses.