Best iPod desktop speaker system?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
looking to get one for my wife. i do'nt have an ipod, so i don't follow this stuff but the JBL On Stage one B looks pretty nice

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    The Bose Sound Dock and the Klipsch one are both great
  • Reply 2 of 13
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    If you want to spend the money than the Bose dock is the best but it costs waaay to much for me.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I have the Bose one (It was a gift)... and it sounds good, just not ~$300 good.

I've always held the opinion that bose spends too much on marketing and not enough on their products to back up their own hype.

Owning both a set of Klipsch computer speakers and HT speakers (although I have never listened to their iPod products), I can safely say that they do make some nice stuff. If Klipsch's iPod speakers are anything like their ProMedia line, you will not be dissapointed with them.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I have a set of Altec Lansing inMotion iMmini speakers for my old iPod mini. These were small, battery powered, but also feature AC power and a line-in jack. The sound quality is decent although the bass is a little weak. I decided on these speakers because they were very portable though, and so far they've been on numerous trips including throughout Europe.

For a desktop/HiFi system though I far preferred the quality of the Bose system, although I haven't compared speakers recently.

Also, now that I primarily use an iPod nano, I might be looking for a new set of speakers.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

looking to get one for my wife. i do'nt have an ipod, so i don't follow this stuff but the JBL On Stage one B looks pretty nice

Bose sound dock(gift) is really nice, but I think if you have the space, you will be much happier with the quality of a stereo reciever and a good set of speakers for about half the price (pawn shops are your friend.)

I am not a big fan of ipod only stuff, too restrictive, spend a few hundred bucks and put together a really rich music listening system.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    well the JBL Stage One costs about $100, the most i'd like to spend. the only reason i want to get it for her is so when she does laundry in the basement, she can have tunes. i have a great stereo system myself
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Bose sound dock(gift) is really nice, but I think if you have the space, you will be much happier with the quality of a stereo reciever and a good set of speakers for about half the price (pawn shops are your friend.)

I am not a big fan of ipod only stuff, too restrictive, spend a few hundred bucks and put together a really rich music listening system.

That's exactly what I would do (actually I did do it), but there are a lot of people who want the simplicity of just plugging something in and popping the iPod into it.

I, for one, am willing to give up that convenience for something that sounds vastly superior, can be upgraded to accomodate any future needs, and isn't restricted to just playing music off my iPod.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I have the Focal JMLab iCube connected to a Airport Express and iPod Universal Dock, driving a pair a Antony Gallo Diva speakers.

This thing is awesome. 300 W from from wireless itunes and iPod.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    If you don't need ultimate portability, try the creature speakers II. Got mine from provantage for 70 bucks and they are truly awesome. I have listened to the 300 sound dock and think the creatures are just as good. Look kinda cool too. Only bad part is no remote, not sure if that's important or not.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Okay, its not a desktop system but have you looked at getting a surround sound system?

At Best Buy or any place like that, there are sub-300 surround sound systems which will sound better than a desktop system. With a $3 RCA-Mini cable and a $5 ipod charger (if it didn't come with one), you have a great system for less than the Bose Soundock. (which sounds great but not for the price)
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I own the JBL On Stage, rev. A without remote, and love it.

We use it outside in the summer by the pool, and it blasts.

The sound is clear and loud, and the design is simple to use.

I recommend it wholeheartedly.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Am I the only rich guy in these boards ?? LOL
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I have the iHome. Not great sound but descent. But I like that it has an alarm clock and radio on it as well. Which makes it very convenient by my bed.