Clock, Bluetooth, Airport etc. not loading

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I shut down my G4 Powerbook a few nights ago and when I turned it back on the next morning, the clock, airport signal, bluetooth, battery life, etc. never showed up on the finder. I am running on Mac OS X 10.4.4. I have already tried restarting and nothing happens. Any advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by themachines04

I shut down my G4 Powerbook a few nights ago and when I turned it back on the next morning, the clock, airport signal, bluetooth, battery life, etc. never showed up on the finder. I am running on Mac OS X 10.4.4. I have already tried restarting and nothing happens. Any advice?

A couple of questions:

Have you tinkered with your system in the past in order to disable spotlight?

If yes, look here

Have you installed any third-party "haxies" relating to menu-bar items, or installed any third party software that used to display a menu item in the same place as those that have stopped working?

If yes, try removing these third-party apps and restarting. If that fixes the problem, look for updated versions of the third-party software.

If neither of those things helped, try these, progressing to the next item in the list if the first thing doesn't work:

1) Repair permissions. (with "disk utility", found in the "utilities" folder)

2) Open system preferences, and go to the preference pane associated with each menu bar icon that has disappeared. Find the "show icon in menu bar" tick box, untick it and tick it again.

3) Find the folder /System/Libray/Core Services/Menu Extras/ double-click on the items that you want in your menu bar.

Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I was going to try doing the stuff that is on macosxhints.com but when I went to the CoreServices folder, there was no "Search.bundle" so I was not able to delete anything. I have already tried doing the three other options that you suggested and that didn't work either. Thanks for the advice though.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by themachines04

I was going to try doing the stuff that is on macosxhints.com but when I went to the CoreServices folder, there was no "Search.bundle" so I was not able to delete anything. I have already tried doing the three other options that you suggested and that didn't work either. Thanks for the advice though.

Try downloading the 10.4.4 COMBO update from apple and re-applying it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Try downloading the 10.4.4 COMBO update from apple and re-applying it.

I just tried doing that and when it finished, it said, "verification failed." I've gotta go to work now so I will come back and see if there are any other suggestions. Thanks a lot for your help