Disney buys Pixar

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Almost confirmed.

That makes SJ the largest shareholder in Disney - could be good for some iTMS content deals?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Its time for Jobs to decide: Pixar/Disney or Apple. I do believee that Apple is able to get by without him now. So there is a small chance for him to get major seat at Disney. God knows they need "the vision thing" in that company. Likelyhood:10%

Just wanted to be on record for having predicted it when it happens tomorrow...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nine-Seventy

Almost confirmed.

That makes SJ the largest shareholder in Disney - could be good for some iTMS content deals?

That has got to be inaccurate. The market cap of Pixar is $7 billion already - no way would Steve sell it for that much, particularly seeing how much Disney needs to buy it.

$12 billion or bust, I say. Certainly not less than $10 billion.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Its time for Jobs to decide: Pixar/Disney or Apple. I do believee that Apple is able to get by without him now. So there is a small chance for him to get major seat at Disney. God knows they need "the vision thing" in that company. Likelyhood:10%

Just wanted to be on record for having predicted it when it happens tomorrow...

I don't think he needs to choose - and I'm sure he wouldn't choose Disney/Pixar over Apple anyway.

Jobs seems to have a better idea of where the entertainment industry is headed than most. Hopefully this will strengthen Apples position in the market.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    He say he split his time equal between Pixar and Apple. If this info is real he is going to waste presious time being at Pixney as part time worker.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    No one else is reporting this. I'll believe it when I see it. I think Jobs, knowing his personality, would much rather Pixar just market the movies themselves rather than get gobbled up.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    At this stage in his life with family and health to be concerned about,why would he want to become involved with Disney? How does a stock trade make him wealthier? Does Disney have greater upside potential? Does Disney stock ownership better provide for his family at his end time? Is an interest in Disney a way to diversify his portfolio. He has more wealth now than his lifestyle requires. What's his goal? To make the best computer he possibly can!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

No one else is reporting this. I'll believe it when I see it. I think Jobs, knowing his personality, would much rather Pixar just market the movies themselves rather than get gobbled up.

I always wondered why this wasn't discussed as an option. Since nobody talks about it, I figure that the barrier to entry as a distibutor must be very steep. Pixar certainly has name recognition, so they really don't need the Disnay name all that much.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I keep considering that Job's initial investment was somewhere around 10 million for Pixar. Now over the years before Toy Story they did nothing but cost him money and came close to being torn apart. Years have passed and investments have paid off now would be a perfect time for Steve to cash in on his investment and still have a steak in Pixneys future. This would also be the best thing for Apple should he decide to focus on Apple and only occupy a seat on the Disney board. Additionally this propels Steve farther into the financial stratosphere.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    He bought it for: $ 10,000,000

He'd sell it for: $7,000,000,000
  • Reply 10 of 11
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    disney is raising money

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/23/bu...gewanted=print

and it will be a premium, more than 7b somewhere between 9-11b is my guess
  • Reply 11 of 11
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I always wondered why this wasn't discussed as an option. Since nobody talks about it, I figure that the barrier to entry as a distibutor must be very steep. Pixar certainly has name recognition, so they really don't need the Disnay name all that much.

http://Interesting Article "Why Pixa... leave Disney"

Quote:

Even with Pixar's incredible track record, Jobs has found that getting a new partner is easier said than done. Since Universal and Paramount have decided to disband their international distribution arm, UIP, Jobs has only three choices if he wants a distributor with the global clout that comes close to Disney's?Sony Pictures, 20th Century Fox, and Warner Bros. But in the 20 months that have elapsed since he fired his parting shot at Eisner, Jobs has not been able to make a suitable deal with any of these studios. The reason is not that the studios lack appreciation for the creative genius of Pixar and its pioneering work in computer graphics, but that any new Pixar films would face a potentially awesome competitor: Pixar sequels. For example, a new Pixar film might find itself competing for summer play dates with The Incredibles 2, backed by a Disney juggernaut of merchandising tie-ins with fast-food restaurants, toy licenses, informational shows on the Disney Channel and overseas channels, and its proven Pied Piper effectiveness in recruiting children's audiences.

Simply put, it would be Pixar vs. Pixar. Ironically, the only studio that can release a Pixar movie without the threat of such competition is Disney. Just as second chances with happy endings are a formula for success in children's movies, Jobs may prudently decide, especially now that Eisner is gone, that breaking up with Disney is not worth the effort.

--B