airport-user experience wanted

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I gotta agree with Matsu.

Being on the throne while suring the Web is one of the most geekily satisfying things you can do.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by PosterBoy:

<strong>

You can share the printer as outlined above if you are using Mac OS 9, or, I believe that model supports a Print Server (which is basically a parrallel to Ethernet adapter in most cases) which would make it another node on your network. If you do decide to go the printserver route, be sure to make sure that the Print Server Admin Software is Mac OS Compatible.

--PB</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank you, but no. I'll wait for USB printer sharing in OS X or simply plug it in while I wait.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by firehc:

<strong>got all the pros,

any cons?

would love to hear ' NO!'

just kidding, anyone?</strong><hr></blockquote>

My girlfriend doesn't like all of the EMI in our apartment. She says all the radio waves ruin her hair. I promised when I build a house, the bedroom will be EMI-shielded.

Of course, she doesn't complain when she can surf on her TiBook wirelessly.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    GardenOfEarthlyDelights, that's a very important issue!

how do the radio waves ruin her hair?

would some hair gel help?

just kidding!

• Reply 25 of 27
    slothsloth Posts: 3member
    How does dial up connection work with Airport? Do you connect the same way on the computer and the Airport automatically kicks in its modem to dial up? Anybody have experience with this? I am thinking of getting a base station when I purchase my TiBook, since they have the $100 off promotion running.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    I have my TiBook connected via AP and it is just great.

I had the pleasure of seeing my girlfriend - which is a self-confessing geek-girl - grow pale when she realized how this worked. She kind of stuttered "So you can surf the internet without any cables _at all_?". She was never very much impressed with macs or macos, but that did shake her.

The only problem I ever had was when I introduced an old G3 as the DSL/Nat-router with the airport base station behind the router. I forgot to order a crossover cable and never got the base station to talk to the G3.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    [quote]Originally posted by sjpsu:

<strong>Can you print from a wirelessly connected laptop?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Get an Asante FrendlyNet router (Specifically the FR3004LC, or FR3004AL). (<a href="http://www.asante.com/products/routers/fr3004/index.html"; target="_blank">LAN</a>)$128 (<a href="http://www.asante.com/products/routers/fr3002al/index.html"; target="_blank">Wireless</a>)$274. I have my HP LaserJet 5MP hooked up to the parallel port, and both Macs and pee-cee's can print. 1/2 the price as a HP adapter with a firewall! :cool: