Two Macs on Home network. Remote Control??

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to get a second mac (powermac G5) as a home media server for my powerbook 12".

I want to tuck the G5 out the way, and to be out the way requires no keyboard/monitor and associated peripherals.

Is it possible to control the G5 from my powerbook (e.g control iTunes, or play a DVD through the TV but controlled by the powerbook over airport).

I haven't got big bucks to throw at this idea, so Remote Desktop isn't really an option @ $299!

Any ideas? Is this possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by david101

I want to get a second mac (powermac G5) as a home media server for my powerbook 12".

I want to tuck the G5 out the way, and to be out the way requires no keyboard/monitor and associated peripherals.

Is it possible to control the G5 from my powerbook (e.g control iTunes, or play a DVD through the TV but controlled by the powerbook over airport).

I haven't got big bucks to throw at this idea, so Remote Desktop isn't really an option @ $299!

Any ideas? Is this possible?

Firstly, are you sure that a powermac G5 isn't overkill? Have you considered a mac mini with external firewire hard drive? You can get some nice-looking external hard drives that match the design of the mini.

To answer your actual question, try VNC. I've not used the server on OS X, but I use VNC server on a PC and VNC client on OS X to remote control a PC.

VNC Server

It seems that the viewer app I use isn't available anymore (VNC Thing). Search version tracker for VNC to find a client you like.

Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Well the G5 wasn't going to be brand new, it was going to come second hand from ebay, and secondly it was also going to form the basis of a home theatre set-up, so i didn't think it was going to be complete overkill.

However, on reflection and seeing that ebay G5s are still beyond me, I am going to get a MacMini from ebay and then add the lacie macmini hard disk and just use it as a server for the powerbook. Also, I'm not sure how long the G5 would have made a good home theatre - i want to get an HDTV soon-ish.

Can you run the macmini remotely from the powerbook without the need for a screen on the mini (after initial setting up I mean). Is it possible to put the mini to sleep and wake it up remotely?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Can you run the macmini remotely from the powerbook without the need for a screen on the mini (after initial setting up I mean).

Yes. I think that you may have to have a screen connected when you boot up though.

Quote:

Is it possible to put the mini to sleep and wake it up remotely?

I'd be very surprised if the mini did not support wake on lan.