'more iPods on the way' ??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
On one thread, someone said S. Jobs stated this. No broadband here yet, so that I might download the keynote.

Would someone elaborate or confirm what was said in the MWSF address? If there is anything to say about it yet, that is.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

On one thread, someone said S. Jobs stated this. No broadband here yet, so that I might download the keynote.

Would someone elaborate or confirm what was said in the MWSF address? If there is anything to say about it yet, that is.

I did not hear that. I will check again though.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    He was referring to the fact that not everyone got one over the holidays, and that they were shipping them out as fast as they could. He didn't mean releasing new iPods, but manufacturing and shipping existing ones. Though I'm sure at some point they'll release new iPods models...
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Ah. Well, I was hoping to hear some juicy news on something new, but thanks a lot for that note. Now that line makes sense.

I am believe I am going to get me a new iPod with the radio 'star'.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    He made jokes about a new 8 pound iPod while demoing Garageband's podcast functions. Just as joke.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I hope the iPod 60 GB that I bought today will work with any new goodies that are coming out. The radio remote is something I am going to get when it comes out in black, to match the iPod.

They have this HiFi connexion kit that just came out too. I don't know if what they just came out with is what is being talked about for the trademark or not.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    iPod Shuffle was very successful product for us, TODAY we are replacing it with

1GB iPod Nano for $99

2GB iPod Nano for $129

and

4GB iPod Nano for $199

6GB/8GB iPod Nano for $249

our investments in Flash memory started to pay off, we are giving some of it to our customers
  • Reply 7 of 18
    are we satisfied with the current iPods
  • Reply 8 of 18
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    "That's it. We're done. We're confident that we have brought to market as much iPod as anyone will ever need."

"What? My God, you people are insatiable!"
  • Reply 9 of 18
    blipblip Posts: 23member
    I know what I want: a shuffle with a screen. Yeah, yeah the poor dead horse is about to be beaten again I guess but just give me sec here.

I bought my shuffle as a temporary replacement since my 3g 15gb is not the partner it used to be; battery is going bad etc. What I noticed is that 90% of the time I use a digital music player I just press play to listen to a playlist anyway. I have no problem changing the music every now and then via iTunes, so 1-2GB is fine with me. Also I didn't feel I was carrying some ming vase in my pocket - the shuffle can take some beating and isn't that expensive in the first place. That's why I'm holding off buying a nano. While the nano does exactly what I want and though it's really small and light it still feels a whole lot more fragile than the shuffle. I've read that Ars article so I know it can take a beating but still...

Now I've begun spending money on the iTMS and that's where problem no1 lies: I want to put that purchased music on my iPod and listen to it, which in itself is no problem. It's of course selecting the music that's the real problem. Yes you've heard it all before but I feel this way *especially* with music bought over the internet.

Problem 2 is about podcast but the problem itself is mainly the same as problem 1: I do want to listen to a few podcasts every now and then on my shuffle but mixing it with songs and pressing forward until the podcast shows up isn't a very practical way of "selecting".

So what I'd want is just a rudimentary screen and interface which let's you choose between *playlists* and to be able to see the name of that list. Just name one of them "podcasts" if that's what you want and listen away. Then I could at least have one "Jazz", "upbeat", "calm", "podcasts" or whatever. I wouldn't mind just pressing "next" *witihin* the playlists if a song I don't like shows up. I just want to be able to choose the playlist itself so that I'll be able to select the theme/mood of the music I'm about to listen to.

I usually just have the shuffle in my front pocket of my pants and press play/forward etc through the pocket. I realize that if this menu-system would be implemented (right...) most people would wonder why Apple just couldn't go all the way. To me this is enough *and* the name "shuffle" would still work.

The "Applele"-guy with his faboulus mock-ups nailed my dreams (the mighty mouse ball! - might get a bit dirty inside, perhaps):

http://www.applele.com/pict_05ipodshuffle_r01.html

To be honest, nowadays I never use my old 3G iPod, simply because it's too heavy, bulky and hard to navigate through my pants.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blip

I know what I want: a shuffle with a screen.

It's called iPod nano. Deal with it.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

It's called iPod nano. Deal with it.

Is it too much to ask for a 1 GB shuffle with a screen for $129 that's not fragile like the nano?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by jackbauer

Is it too much to ask for a 1 GB shuffle with a screen for $129 that's not fragile like the nano?

Yes.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    blipblip Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

Yes.

Well, I realize that, even if I came off sounding that I don't. But I still feel the nano to be a bit fragile. That said I'll probably get a nano in the end anyway because I can't really see Apple releasing a shuffle with a screen in a forseeable future. I hate the "need" of having my digital music player in a case because it needs to be tended to and cared for. All the cases make the beautiful nano and the regular iPod look like crap anyway. And I won't "deal with it". I'm the customer. What I *could* do is to shut up and stop venting for a bit and let that poor dead horse alone and stop clogging up the forums with posts about the shuffle. But "deal with it"? No.

Still love the "Applele" mock-up, though. Sheer beauty.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I realize it'd be nice for the shuffle to have a screen, but Apple can't make 30 different kinds of iPods and make the money they want. The shuffle, nano, and iPod with video serve the majority of consumers' needs. Apple is making money hand over fist. If you want a small, fairly inexpensive iPod with a screen, Apple has offered the nano. Take it or leave it.

A shuffle with a screen just wouldn't fit into Apple's current line.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I look forward to a 80 or 100gig video Ipod.

with the same dimensions.

That would be sweet.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    You guys are probally right, unfortunately.

This almost makes me think there won't be a shuffle update for some time then. I can't imagine Apple would update the shuffle with the only change being it's size. And a 2GB shuffle without a screen would be silly.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

iPod Shuffle was very successful product for us, TODAY we are replacing it with

1GB iPod Nano for $99

2GB iPod Nano for $129

and

4GB iPod Nano for $199

6GB/8GB iPod Nano for $249

our investments in Flash memory started to pay off, we are giving some of it to our customers

More realistic predication!!! though price points are not exact ... Where is the high capcity Nanos???
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by jackbauer

your dream came true, i guess you will not mind additional $20