The Intel Ad: Photocopiers working full-time at Cupertino

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    ooh no this band is terrible, absolutely terrible.

its a childish way to look at it but i dont care so ha!

this band should be greatful cuz they have nothing else coming for them in the future.

there, done.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

In the end...who really cares?

If you don't care, you are welcome not to participate in this thread.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

If you don't care, you are welcome not to participate in this thread.

Thanks. I'll remember that.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

ooh no this band is terrible, absolutely terrible.

its a childish way to look at it but i dont care so ha!

this band should be greatful cuz they have nothing else coming for them in the future.

there, done.

I accept your surrender
  • Reply 65 of 73
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Haha, guess which video is #1 on iTunes right now. I'm sure this band is really indignant about this whole thing.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Haha, guess which video is #1 on iTunes right now. I'm sure this band is really indignant about this whole thing.

So? It's not like they're getting part of the profit.

As for the band

Quote:

01/19/06

A Note from Ben

It has recently come to our attention that Apple Computers' new television commercial for the Intel chip features a shot-for-shot recreation of our video for 'Such Great Heights' made by the same filmmakers responsible for the original. We did not approve this commercialization and are extremely disappointed with both parties that this was executed without our consultation or consent. -Ben Gibbard, The Postal Service

• Reply 67 of 73
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

A side by side comparison is more fair, in my opinion, as the Intel ad is what, 15 seconds? And the Postal Service is minutes long. Of course the TPS video is going to be 'different'... it includes more footage! But that doesn't change the fact that it's a re-created ad.

Just watch this comparison and see how 'distinctly similar' they are.

Side by Side comparison

yes, again, my point still stands. keyframes and short clips are distinctly similar (heck, your link even makes note that they are clips). BUT if you watch both items, in their entirety as they were intended to be viewed, they are distinctly different in purpose and message. trust me, i'm not just drinking the kool-aid here. i wish i knew more about copyright laws here, though. i seem to vaguely recall that derivative works are okay so long as they are completely different in purpose and treatment of the original work.

anyone want to confirm or refute this, or shed some light?
  • Reply 68 of 73
    Quote:

Apple Computers' new television commercial for the Intel chip features a shot-for-shot recreation of our video for 'Such Great Heights'

This strikes me as a mischaracterization.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    Quote:

This strikes me as a mischaracterization.

Why?
  • Reply 70 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

BUT if you watch both items, in their entirety as they were intended to be viewed, they are distinctly different in purpose and message.

So that means that I can grab any one bestseller from Borders, take a chapter from it, re-arrange some lines, and here I have something that's shorter, and if they're both read in their entirety, they will be distinctly similar in their purpose and message.

Or am I misunderstanding something?
  • Reply 71 of 73
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

So that means that I can grab any one bestseller from Borders, take a chapter from it, re-arrange some lines, and here I have something that's shorter, and if they're both read in their entirety, they will be distinctly similar in their purpose and message.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

i think there's a difference, but it depends without further details from your example. are the excerpts from the book you are grabbing being used in the development of a character? like are they reading the book, and the excerpts come out of that? i'm not saying you wouldn't have to get permission... i sincerely have no idea what the legality of it is. what i am saying, though, in this case with the commercial and video, they are entirely different beasts that borrow a similar theme and have several almost-identical frames for scenes, probably due to having the exact same directors.

edit: BUT, it would have helped apple avoid a black eye PR-wise if they had cleared this first. as with the eminem-case, apple seems to have this "better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" thing at the root of its culture. heck, the ceo of griffin said as much when they would make products, in an interview with engadget, he said that if they had bothered to ask apple permission to make some of the peripherals they have, they would have never seen the light of day. instead, they made them, brought them over, apple went "cool!" and that was the end of it. like i said, it seems to be part of apple's culture these days...
  • Reply 72 of 73
    Quote:

Why?

Ummm...well...because the ad is not "a shot for shot recreation" of the video. In fact, mischaracterization is a bit soft. That statement is an out right lie.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    Quote:

In fact, mischaracterization is a bit soft. That statement is an out right lie.

Right, because, looking at the ad + video, I don't see 2 identical shots at all. As a matter of fact, one talks about monkeys in Sahara, wehereas the other is concerned with donkeys in Guatemala.

Come on...