Breaking News: Disney to acquire Pixar for $7.4B

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Catmull is also responsible for some technology that your precious Photoshop depends on -- Catmull-Rom splines, aka "curves" for example. He makes a good president at Pixar because he isn't (just?) a business president, he's a technology president, knows this stuff first-hand.

That takes nothing away from Lasseter, who I also think is the golden boy of all this, but Catmull cannot be underestimated.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Catmull is also responsible for some technology that your precious Photoshop depends on -- Catmull-Rom splines, aka "curves" for example. He makes a good president at Pixar because he isn't (just?) a business president, he's a technology president, knows this stuff first-hand.

That takes nothing away from Lasseter, who I also think is the golden boy of all this, but Catmull cannot be underestimated.

Absolutely. Both men are living legends.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Catmull did that work when Lucus owned the forerunner to PS, is that correct?
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

You know, the one thing we haven't been told, is whether Jobs WILL take a seat at Disney. It's assumed that he will be offered one because of his stock, but that's not assured.

It's also possible, that because of his relationship to Apple, he might not be offered one (not too likely), or that he might not choose to take one, at least not now.

It is likely he will be offered (you don't NOT offer a board seat to someone that owns that much...6-14% depending on where you read...of your company. Period. That is enormous!) and he will take it (he'll want to keep an eye on where most of his wealth is tied up).

Quote:

He might also choose to divest himself of most of Disney's stock over time.

There are likely governors on his sale of the stock.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

It is likely he will be offered (you don't NOT offer a board seat to someone that owns that much...6-14% depending on where you read...of your company. Period. That is enormous!) and he will take it (he'll want to keep an eye on where most of his wealth is tied up).

There are likely governors on his sale of the stock.

Well, at this point, we know that he has accepted.

He can sell his stock after 6 months or so. I forget the exact time.

It's just annoying because the market is reacting badly to this as regards to Apple.

The fact that he accepted the seat has gotten Apple investors nervous.

This just puts a tough ending to a difficult week for Apple's stock as it is.

I expected it to go down a bit after the conference call, because of the low guidance for the quarter. But then every tech stock except AMD reported poor earnings and sales for the quarter, also with low guidance! The stock dropped another 3 points those several days.

Then Iran threatens to cut oil supplies, because of the nuclear confrontation, and it drops another point or two.

Then it drops again because of the rumors of this deal. Drops when the deal is announced, and drops again when the interview with Jobs and Iger states that he will take a seat!

Well, the only thing good was that I bought more stock at $73.93 today.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:

Well, at this point, we know that he has accepted.

He can sell his stock after 6 months or so. I forget the exact time.

Facts! Cool! Thanks.

Quote:

It's just annoying because the market is reacting badly to this as regards to Apple.

The fact that he accepted the seat has gotten Apple investors nervous.

This just puts a tough ending to a difficult week for Apple's stock as it is.

I think this more likely has to do with the ambiguous news about how well the new iMac is selling. Well, that and more profit-taking.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Facts! Cool! Thanks.

I think this more likely has to do with the ambiguous news about how well the new iMac is selling. Well, that and more profit-taking.

I don't know. The report from Thinksecret (which no investor cares about in the slightest) came out after most of the damage was done, and was quickly disagreed with by several analysts.

I don't think profit takers are active now. Over 80, I could see it in the numbers on my real-time account. But it stopped after the second day after the call.