iPod Mini Return?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was snooping around the apple site and it turns out that the ipod mini site is still there--just with nothing on it. This seems suspicious as all of the other used-to sites now say "Looking for something at Apple?"

I also heard that apple was rumored to be bringing back ipod colors (pink and green and such) soon. maybe the return of the ipod mini????

I hope.

discuss

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    I love my iPod mini, my sister has a regular white iPod but she wants to use mine all the time because of the size. I would like to see the iPod mini back with a color screen
  • Reply 2 of 21
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    iPod mini not returning ...

but iPod nano with high capcity similar to iPod mini, YES!!
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I was thinking of buying a nano but I don't know if the scratch problem is true or not. It's really that bad?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    i would say that the Nano's do pick up small scratches and marks quite easily.

That being said, the Nano is a superb little product - even the 2Gb version is plenty for me to hold more songs than i can be bothered to listen to.

Best advice: Get a silicon cover for it with a clear plastic screen cover. Can be had for £10 for a pair of covers here in the UK and they are 100% value for money. They dont increase the size of the nano but take all the stress of getting it scratched away. Just being able to plonk it down on the table along with your keys without having to worry about scratches means I take the ipod with me more often and listen to it more.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    The mini is gone for good, since the regular iPods now are so damn small, and the nano are ridiculously small. There may be a special colored edition of iPods at some point.

I have a pink 1st gen mini. The anodization seems to be fading. When it stops working (if ever), I don't think I'll have much problem getting a nano to replace it.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

The mini is gone for good, since the regular iPods now are so damn small, and the nano are ridiculously small. There may be a special colored edition of iPods at some point.

I have a pink 1st gen mini. The anodization seems to be fading. When it stops working (if ever), I don't think I'll have much problem getting a nano to replace it.

But don't you agree that the ipod mini was just so damn cute?

i mean, really...the nano is okay, but so industrial. the mini had lots of charm and plenty of beauty. ( i can't believe i'm talking about electronics that way, but it's true...) anyway, even the packaging had personality!

i hope to see it come back. or at least an ipod with ronded edges like the mini and colors like the mini. so much easier to just make the mini again. and maybe apple will stop with this "tinier the better" crap because, let's face it, we need to be able to SEE the ipod from the side and have something sturdy to hold onto.

don't you agree?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I think the mini just have very loyal customer and it was a mistake to drop it. I believe if Apple re introduce a mini with few upgrades it could have a good product with better margins than the current generation of iPods
  • Reply 8 of 21
    The mini sucks for apple because it stays in such good shape. I have had one for 1.5 years and the thing looks brand new. Every nano I have seen looks like it has been thru a war. Apple needs these things to be replaced every year and they do that by building a unit that looks like shit after a few months of use.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Like it or not the mini has been replaced.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by jivebaby

The mini sucks for apple because it stays in such good shape. I have had one for 1.5 years and the thing looks brand new. Every nano I have seen looks like it has been thru a war. Apple needs these things to be replaced every year and they do that by building a unit that looks like shit after a few months of use.

what are you talking about?

thats a terrible thought!

i see why you say that from a business stand point but I can't spend $400 every two months!

josa
  • Reply 11 of 21
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    The new mini is coming...

right after the intro of the new cube.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    ...which will happen one month after the iNewton.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

The new mini is coming...

right after the intro of the new cube.

but the cube was a failure and the mini a success. The nano is a success too but I still like my mini, just my opinion
  • Reply 14 of 21
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alberto

but the cube was a failure and the mini a success. The nano is a success too but I still like my mini, just my opinion

you missed the point. they're both gone, and never coming back.

mac consumers have this weird desire to have all the old stuff keep coming up. the newton, cube, iPod mini... and so on.

look ahead, not behind.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Actually, I'm somewhat surprised Apple hasn't introduced a new PDA. Wasn't the Newton the original?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdshort

Actually, I'm somewhat surprised Apple hasn't introduced a new PDA. Wasn't the Newton the original?

Now that you mention it...

You are new, so I´ll give you the run down:

1) It is the MOST discussed subject here (beside Bush). Three-four years ago EVERYTHING was about the return of the Newton. At least two of the mods here drove everyone else NUTS with their Newton threads. Last time we got some hope was when handwriting recognision was ported (I am pretty sure it was ported and not rewritten) from the Newton to X.

2) Steve killed the Newton project and he is proud of it. When handwriting was introduced in X, Steve said something like "At least SOMETHING useful came from it",meaning the Newton, cleverly not mentioning it.

3) Steve said people look up information on hand held devises, never write down info, so no need for a PDA. Just like people don´t want to see video on the road...
  • Reply 17 of 21
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    I can see Apple putting out a PDA that syncs 100% with the Mac apps. I would buy it the day it came out because nothing I have used works perfectly. I think other people would eat it up too. But the mini done, no photo or color screen so I don't think anyone would buy it compared to a nano or video.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Die iPod mini thread Die!
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Look. Here is one of the original iPOd Mini pix.

http://www.ipodnoticias.com/ipod_mini/ipodmini.jpg

Isn't that just kinda classy?

And STOP writing about the Newton.

(And STOP Blowing Holes in My Ship! )
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by josa92

But don't you agree that the ipod mini was just so damn cute?

i mean, really...the nano is okay, but so industrial. the mini had lots of charm and plenty of beauty. ( i can't believe i'm talking about electronics that way, but it's true...) anyway, even the packaging had personality!

i hope to see it come back. or at least an ipod with ronded edges like the mini and colors like the mini. so much easier to just make the mini again. and maybe apple will stop with this "tinier the better" crap because, let's face it, we need to be able to SEE the ipod from the side and have something sturdy to hold onto.

don't you agree?

Oh get a room...

No, the mini is definitely not coming back. It's 4Gig hard drive makes no sense now that we can have a 4Gig Flash-Based Nano. Flash = Good, HDD = Bad