Apple set to begin testing Mac OS X 10.4.5 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer this week is expected to begin widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.4.5 Update, the next in a series of maintenance updates to its Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" operating system and the first update to address bugs lingering the company's initial release of Mac OS X 10.4.4 for Intel-based Macs, AppleInsider has learned.

Contacts often familiar with Cupertino, Calif.-based company's operating system plans say the Mac maker this week began distributing the first external builds of Mac OS X 10.4.5 Update, which weigh in at approximately 15MB.

Two of the most recent builds are rumored to have appeared as "Mac OS X 10.4.5 build 8H3" and "Mac OS X 10.4.5 build 8H5."

While the specific fixes and enhancements planned for the update are unknown, Apple is reportedly asking that its developers and partners put weight on Safari, Core Graphics intensive applications, Quartz Composer, and the Mac OS X Dock.

The company also reportedly asked that developers test networking, the Mac OS X crash report, File Sync, Software Update and the MSDOS File System.

Members of Apple's Developer Connection program could begin to receive their first pre-release distribution of Mac OS X 10.4.5 as early as Wednesday afternoon, contacts have said.

It's unclear when Apple has targeted the release of Mac OS X 10.4.5 Update. Earlier this month, the company update Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" to Mac OS X 10.4.4 to coincide with the release of the first Intel-based Mac systems: the iMac Core Duo and MacBook Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I figured an OS update would coincide with the final release of the MacBooks. This way any new OS-level power management features will make it out there.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I figured an OS update would coincide with the final release of the MacBooks. This way any new OS-level power management features will make it out there.

Which could be why Apple has not made ANY specific comment on battery life, the software guys werent done tuning : makes sense to me.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    I can only hope they present some kind of fix for iLife '06.

I updated my iPhoto and all 1,200+ of my photos disappeared. I finally located them, but iPhoto refuses to recognize them now and won't import them back into the program. This is insanely bad!
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Let's hope 10.4.5 fixes all the bugs introduced in 10.4.4 - I've had a lot more crashes in various apps since upgrading from 10.4.3.

One of my most used apps, VLC, is now totally unusable on my Mac mini with 10.4.4.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is moving quickly.

Spamsandwich, did you try looking in macfixit.com, or macintouch.com?

They have problems listed, and often, solutions (Yup, I know, you've tried already ).

VLC still works for me on both an upgraded digital Audio (dual 1.8GHZ PL), and a dual 2GHz PM.

Do you have version .8.4?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    The sooner the better. Ever since I have upgraded to 10.4.4 XGrid will not launch on my G5 to my RAID/XServe setup. I have had 8 kernel panics in the last 12 days now on my Dual 2.0 Ghz with 4.5GB of RAM and I have not added anything extra to my G5 except for the 10.4.4. There are a lot of issues with Server as well. I have FTP deny log in every 3 days and if I erase the FTPServer folder, upload a fresh one, then it works fine...for 3 or 4 days.... They need to get this out ASAP. I have never ever had any issues with any updates until this one. VLC does work fine though.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

[B

VLC still works for me on both an upgraded digital Audio (dual 1.8GHZ PL), and a dual 2GHz PM.

Do you have version .8.4? [/B]

Tried both 0.8.4 and 0.7.2. I've deleted the preferences and even gone as far as reloading the 10.4.4 combo update. I had wondered if the problem had something to do with using a Mac mini.

Next step would be a complete reinstall of Tiger - something I'm not in a hurry to do. At the moment I've switched to MPlayer, but it would be good to have VLC back.

Another app that seems to crash a lot more is iTunes-LAME.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gates_of_Hell

Tried both 0.8.4 and 0.7.2. I've deleted the preferences and even gone as far as reloading the 10.4.4 combo update. I had wondered if the problem had something to do with using a Mac mini.

Next step would be a complete reinstall of Tiger - something I'm not in a hurry to do. At the moment I've switched to MPlayer, but it would be good to have VLC back.

Another app that seems to crash a lot more is iTunes-LAME.

While both VLC and MPlayer both work, they both have always been prone to crash. Companies (or groups) can't seem to write proper error checking with files. Instead of telling us that these files don't function, the programs just crash. Sad.

By the way, my version of MPlayer says version 2.0 (2.0b9r5), but the latest is supposed to be 8r5, and that's the only one I can find. Strange!
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

While both VLC and MPlayer both work, they both have always been prone to crash. Companies (or groups) can't seem to write proper error checking with files. Instead of telling us that these files don't function, the programs just crash. Sad.

By the way, my version of MPlayer says version 2.0 (2.0b9r5), but the latest is supposed to be 8r5, and that's the only one I can find. Strange!

One thing that might be related, but I've yet to check if it's the cause is Flip4Mac. I was only too keen to dump Windows Media Player, but I wonder if that was a little premature.

I do vaguely remember seeing 2 different versions of MPlayer. I tried them both and ended up using 1.0pre8. Seems to work fine, but isn't quite as "snappy" as VLC (when VLC works).
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

One thing that might be related, but I've yet to check if it's the cause is Flip4Mac. I was only too keen to dump Windows Media Player, but I wonder if that was a little premature.

I do vaguely remember seeing 2 different versions of MPlayer. I tried them both and ended up using 1.0pre8. Seems to work fine, but isn't quite as "snappy" as VLC (when VLC works).

I've tried Flip4Mac, and paid for the intermediate edition. But I can't get sound out of any video's using it. I've checked, and all of the files in the library are there. I downloaded it again, just in case, but have the same problem. I've posted this, and others have acknowledged having this problem.

So, I've removed the two files in the Internet plug-ins to enable the Windows player again.

So far, no word from them.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Since i updated to 10.4.4 something went wrong with my iBook combo drive.. now sometimes it wont recognize CDs or DVDs until i reboot.. it is really anoying

EDITED: Hehe sorry, i corrected it. it was the 10.4.4, i've had this ibook for about 4 months, so tiger was already 10.4.2 when in purchased it.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Well I just removed Flip4Mac and VLC works fine again! As my moniker would suggest I've never been a fan of M$. This just goes to reinforce that opinion.

Apologies for my false accusation of 10.4.4 and VLC. Looks like Flip4Mac isn't so much a plugin as a trojan.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by falsoman

Since i updated to 10.4 something went wrong with my iBook como drive.. now sometimes it wont recognize CDs or DVDs until i reboot.. it is really anoying

That's understandable!

Was this the upgrade to 10.4, or the update to 10.4.4?
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

The sooner the better. Ever since I have upgraded to 10.4.4 XGrid will not launch on my G5 to my RAID/XServe setup. I have had 8 kernel panics in the last 12 days now on my Dual 2.0 Ghz with 4.5GB of RAM and I have not added anything extra to my G5 except for the 10.4.4. There are a lot of issues with Server as well. I have FTP deny log in every 3 days and if I erase the FTPServer folder, upload a fresh one, then it works fine...for 3 or 4 days.... They need to get this out ASAP. I have never ever had any issues with any updates until this one. VLC does work fine though.

What do /var/log/, ~/Library/Logs, /Library/Logs reveal if anything?
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Well I just removed Flip4Mac and VLC works fine again! As my moniker would suggest I've never been a fan of M$. This just goes to reinforce that opinion.

Apologies for my false accusation of 10.4.4 and VLC. Looks like Flip4Mac isn't so much a plugin as a trojan.

The version of FlipMac on your system is what?

I'm running 10.4.4 with VLC 0.8.4 and FlipMac 2.0.1.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

The version of FlipMac on your system is what?

I'm running 10.4.4 with VLC 0.8.4 and FlipMac 2.0.1.

It was the same combination (I did have Flip4Mac 2.0.0 then upgraded to 2.0.1), although I see elsewhere reports of it conflicting with DivX and Xvid plugins, which I have installed.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Let's hope 10.4.5 fixes all the bugs introduced in 10.4.4 - I've had a lot more crashes in various apps since upgrading from 10.4.3.

One of my most used apps, VLC, is now totally unusable on my Mac mini with 10.4.4.

What version of Videolan are you running?

Edit: I see you're running 0.8.4 have you given 0.8.4a a go? it was a fix up after 0.8.4 was released.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by kaiwai

Edit: I see you're running 0.8.4 have you given 0.8.4a a go? it was a fix up after 0.8.4 was released.

I don't remember that one. What did the alpha fix?
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

This is moving quickly.

Spamsandwich, did you try looking in macfixit.com, or macintouch.com?

They have problems listed, and often, solutions (Yup, I know, you've tried already ).

Do you have version .8.4?

Thanks for the tips (I forgot about macintouch.com)... I made a backup DVD copy of all iPhoto pictures on my Mac, threw out the ones on my HD, then copied them back. It did the trick. Whew! I was having nightmare flashbacks from when my GarageBand was unusable for months (last year). Had to take the computer in for service, and even they couldn't figure it out for 3 days.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by kaiwai

Sorry, I think it was 0.8.4a I was using.

Anyway, it seems to be a conflict between Flip4Mac and the Xvid plugin I've got. Given that I need Xvid a lot more than WMV I think I can live without Flip4Mac.

I only ever use WMV for those stupid backyard brawl type movies that people send me links to. I can certainly live without them!