Would it be possible to cram a new iBook into the old clamshell case?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Would it fit?

And what new holes would I need to cut?

Just curious.

TING5

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I've wondered about this many times. Chicks dig the old iBook case (no lies). I would really like to do this mod too (if it is possible). I personally like the old iBook look better.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    How can anyone actually like the old iBook design better?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It's colorful and fun. The new iceBook looks very refined, intelligent, and civilized, but a tangerine iBook (or better yet, a bubblegum pink one) would be the epitome of a "fun" computer. It's like the iBook has grown up from a fun loving, strangely dressed teenager to a professional looking adult. Of course, it had to experiment with professionalism first (e.g. Graphite iBook).
  • Reply 4 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>How can anyone actually like the old iBook design better?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you kidding?!?!? That's the go anywhere, do anything, sturdy book I'd want.

The new iBook is nice, but the gloss is susceptible to scratches. It looks like it needs to be coddled, or it will get scarred.

The clamshell, if you scratch it, you are just adding character.

Anyone know where I can buy a dead clamshell iBook or shell?

TING5
  • Reply 5 of 15
    posterboyposterboy Posts: 147member
    the motherboard in the Clamshell is an entirely different shape and size than the one you would find in an iBook Dual USB (not to mention that the Dual USB has quite a few momre ports), so to make a long story short, no can do on the IceBook Clamshell.

--PB

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: PosterBoy ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    [quote]

How can anyone actually like the old iBook design better?

<hr></blockquote>

The handle

Taking apart my iceBook to overclock to 600/100. Really nice machine, and in fact more sturdy. It does scratch, just like my damn iPod. What can I take that off with?

I seriously want every old-school iBook ever made! They are just so.. what's the word.. Yummy!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Hmm. I think that the new iBook is physically larger in the circuitry than the old. There was a lot of wasted volume in the clamshell - I mean, lots of plastic casing around a small monitor, a great deal of space "wasted" because you can't fit any circuitry into it.

I must agree - the old shell was much more durable. I don't know if the new circuitry, escpeccially transplanted, will stand up to the same abuse,.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    cd_hostage, I think you might be wrong.

The new iBook scratches more easily (how can I fix this!?) but is actually more durable.

The hard drive (3400rpm...) is protected by rubber mounting, etc. I haven't seen this yet, as I'm still opening up my iBook to clock it, add RAM, maybe a new drive, an old school Apple logo in front of the glowing Apple logo on the cover, etc. How can I get screws out that are "stuck"!?

From what I hear the new iBook is even more durable. I haven't tested this
  • Reply 9 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatik:

<strong>From what I hear the new iBook is even more durable. I haven't tested this </strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple stated it was 2x impact resisrtant compared to the clambook but I have read several reports it is not as resistant to being dropped from desk height. As always, buyer beware and your milage may vary
  • Reply 10 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by BobtheTomato:

<strong>

Apple stated it was 2x impact resisrtant compared to the clambook but I have read several reports it is not as resistant to being dropped from desk height. As always, buyer beware and your milage may vary</strong><hr></blockquote>

Does it matter that much unless you plan on dropping it off desks?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
  • Reply 12 of 15

<strong>

Does it matter that much unless you plan on dropping it off desks?</strong><hr></blockquote>

most laptop desk to floor trips are unplanned....
  • Reply 13 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by BobtheTomato:

<strong>

most laptop desk to floor trips are unplanned....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Of course, but how often does it actually happen?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong></strong><hr></blockquote>

Just doesn't look good like the clamshells look with the handle.
  • Reply 15 of 15

<strong>

Of course, but how often does it actually happen?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Either not at all or one time too many....