Apple Accelerometer Patents and a Tablet Mac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
MacRumors just posted an article about new Apple patents using accelerometers. Link and excerpt below.

Based on the patent usage concepts (inlined below), my initial guess is that Apple is working on a motion-based scroll/pan system. ie: For a tablet, tilt it right to scroll right. Tho, such a system would have to be speed-based, with fast motion inducing scroll, and slower motion allowing reset. Otherwise, you'd need to spin with the device to avoid scrolling forward than back immediately.

Definitely sounds odd. Any other thoughts?

This also might be some form of virtual reality, ie: move the tablet around to see different perspectives on a virtual scene. But such a system would be better driven by location sensors, not accelerometers. ie: Incremental errors in accel detection would add up quickly, making the device's perception of its orientation inconsistent.

------

Apple Accelerometer Patents and a Tablet Mac?

Macsimumnews reports on a new patent that appears to be one of Apple's which depicts possible uses for an accelerometer in a Tablet form factor.

The patent application includes diagrams of what appears to be a tablet form-factor screen with use of an accelerometer. Possible uses include:

- detecting movement of a portable device as a way to trigger whether a page of document or image may be displayed

- gaming application to detect a scene change

- in navigation application to navigate a large object or document that can not be displayed entirely at once

- determine whether a device is moving

- movement as password authentication

- and more...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    How about VR computing? No more flat display. You put on special glasses and turn your head to move around.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

How about VR computing? No more flat display. You put on special glasses and turn your head to move around.

Maybe, but problematic. I worked in the early VR industry (1990-1993), and some of the core issues remain for most "consumer" users: disorientation, nausea, etc...

If anyone could make it work, Apple could. But my guess is this is a handheld screen format (eg: tablet). Motion-based scrolling could be sweet if done well. eg: Press a button with your thumb to activate (to avoid errant movement), then tilt the device to scroll up/down/left/right. Seems unweildy, but creating innovative interfaces (both hard and soft) is what Apple does best.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Is it just me or do those drawings look decidedly non-apple?

\

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 4 of 15
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mandricard

Is it just me or do those drawings look decidedly non-apple?

\

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

I love the Macsimum News headline that says "Apple's patents reveal a stunning tablet PC", immediately followed by a series of crude sketches that look like they were done on the back of a cocktail napkin.

Stunning, indeed!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

I love the Macsimum News headline that says "Apple's patents reveal a stunning tablet PC", immediately followed by a series of crude sketches that look like they were done on the back of a cocktail napkin.

...in Steve Jobs own hand, perhaps?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I started reading this article, couldn't finish it. Once I saw those diagrams it seemed pointless to keep reading. One of the dumbest things I've seen in a while whether real or rumor.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by WelshDog

I started reading this article, couldn't finish it. Once I saw those diagrams it seemed pointless to keep reading. One of the dumbest things I've seen in a while whether real or rumor.

Sorry, but it's a real patent. Whether anything will come of it, that's another story.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

How about special glasses that plug into the video iPod so that you get a cinema quality sound and visual experience on the go?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by McCrab

How about special glasses that plug into the video iPod so that you get a cinema quality sound and visual experience on the go?

They already exist and will probably give you a headache while setting you back about $500-$800. Most of them can use s-video inputs.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Picture a web page on your large screen iPod. To scroll down, you move the iPod toward you. Scroll up, move it away. It's as if you were sliding the iPod around the document to view it.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    To imagine how it might work, think of WarioWare Twisted or Kirby's Tilt n' Tumble.

Not to say it's a good idea for a tablet, but it could be integrated.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Picture a web page on your large screen iPod. To scroll down, you move the iPod toward you. Scroll up, move it away. It's as if you were sliding the iPod around the document to view it.

Imagine being driven slowly mad while every bump and jounce on your bus scrolls your web page to somewhere other than where you are reading.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Imagine being driven slowly mad while every bump and jounce on your bus scrolls your web page to somewhere other than where you are reading.

Steve may allow lower classes (including bus passengers) to turn off the feature. It works really great, however, on the smooth ride given by Gulfstream V Jet.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Steve may allow lower classes (including bus passengers) to turn off the feature. It works really great, however, on the smooth ride given by Gulfstream V Jet.